Soldering xo change sound?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post

the differences I’m hearing are in soundstage, air, quietness, dynamics, speed....etc. things that are across the board and not really relative to the xo point.
    No not necessarily related to the xo point but all of those can be linked to frequency response which can be affected by the xo.

Comment

Things like that probably boil down to what they sound like to the individual more than the actual measurements matter......most modern mid-fi and up measure with acceptable specs, or am I again assuming too much?
      Not following?

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post

Some of them and yes it can be measured. Capacitance, inductance, and resistance.
        Any research I’ve done on this subject jives with the killa!

I need some new wire, mine is a bit long in the tooth with some slight green showing up in the windings evenly up the whole length....not sure if that would just all of a sudden change sq ?

i did roll them up and move them around a lot when I soldered......I suppose that might of loosened the oxidation to the point of change?

what do you think of that? Any recommendations on something better than lamp wire? What I have is 12awg monster cable that is probably at least 15yo

been looking at canare 4s11 or Belden 5000......open to suggestions, no more than $2 or $3 a foot though, don’t need much (like 10’ a side, plus 10’ for sub so 30’)

Comment

Not following?
          I mean it’s not like your gonna be able to say amp x has y thd so I’m gonna like the sound.......it’s more subjective to what signature sound your looking for, I’m thinking most people would or at least audition for the specific sound they seek in a amp or dac if they’re gonna make a big investment. Otherwise you’d just have to take others word for what they sound like....huh!

It seems like on some forums it’s quite a contentious subject...surprised it’s not here!

Comment

I mean it’s not like your gonna be able to say amp x has y thd so I’m gonna like the sound!
            Why couldn't you? If you hear amp1 and saw the thd graph and all the other graphs that measure amp1's capabilities you could then find another amp with the same measurements and it would sound the same.

Comment

No not necessarily related to the xo point but all of those can be linked to frequency response which can be affected by the xo.
              You forgot the part where I went up and down the from the target value with the same brand cap but only noticed those specific changes when I changed brand.

Comment

Why couldn't you? If you hear amp1 and saw the thd graph and all the other graphs that measure amp1's capabilities you could then find another amp with the same measurements and it would sound the same.
                Well that’s what I meant by most modern mid fi and up are probably measure quite closely but certainly sound different......the componetry and architecture I’m sure has to do a lot with the sound signature....... this may be a perfect example of things that measure similar but sound different?

Comment

"similar but different" Yes they measure different and sound different. Wasn't the argument that caps measure the same but sound different? Measuring "similar" is not measuring the same.

Comment

You forgot the part where I went up and down the from the target value with the same brand cap but only noticed those specific changes when I changed brand.
                    You are assuming that the change is near the xo point. It might be out toward 15k, and still might show in a measurement. Tweeters measure differently above 10k. (below too) Take a look at the waterfall measurements of some tweeters, and compare. Perhaps different types of caps affect that waterfall. I've heard that caps can act like microphones. So, a cap inside a speaker may pick up sound that affects what is sent to the tweeter. You play your speakers loud. That may be a factor. Maybe you could experiment, and place the caps inside a box to shield them from sound.

Comment

I mean it’s not like your gonna be able to say amp x has y thd so I’m gonna like the sound.......it’s more subjective to what signature sound your looking for, I’m thinking most people would or at least audition for the specific sound they seek in a amp or dac if they’re gonna make a big investment. Otherwise you’d just have to take others word for what they sound like....huh!

It seems like on some forums it’s quite a contentious subject...surprised it’s not here!
                      I like my HK amps, and hope they last. I don't consider myself to be an audiophile anymore. I've played with interconnects, and speaker wire in the past, and it was fun. Mostly, my speakers are for my home theater use. Lately I've been enjoying some you-tube music videos. Many that I like, are "Live from Daryl's house". Try "Papa Was A Rolling Stone". The sound is way different than what I remember as a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post

I like my HK amps, and hope they last. I don't consider myself to be an audiophile anymore. I've played with interconnects, and speaker wire in the past, and it was fun. Mostly, my speakers are for my home theater use. Lately I've been enjoying some you-tube music videos. Many that I like, are "Live from Daryl's house". Try "Papa Was A Rolling Stone". The sound is way different than what I remember as a kid.
                        Off topic, but did you see the O Jay's episode? They still got it!!
                        Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Will two different pairs of speakers with the exact same measurements sound exactly alike or can they sound different?

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post

Off topic, but did you see the O Jay's episode? They still got it!!
                            I'll check it out. I don't remember any of their tunes, but I might when I hear them.

Comment

My mother used to hear things no one else could. Bless her heart,

You should explore all possible factors.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                                My mother used to hear things no one else could. Bless her heart,

You should explore all possible factors.
                                I use the candles and have for over 20 yrs........you’d be amazed at how well it works, as long as you manage to not burn down the house.

Comment

Working...
                                X