Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Sound Quality:* What matters and what doesen't?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many amplifiers, Yamaha and Luxman receivers have an option to bypass the tone control and is said to provide better sound quality than having the tone control engaged. Do you agree?

Comment

Originally posted by ligs View Post
      Many amplifiers, Yamaha and Luxman receivers have an option to bypass the tone control and is said to provide better sound quality than having the tone control engaged. Do you agree?
      I have a Yamaha receiver and I can hear a difference but wether or not the difference is better or worse is personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post

i used to race dirtbikes and customized to my own specs......down to ign curves, porting, suspension tuning etc. heres something that most would probably not believe but is true, carb jetting affects the suspension tuning......is it measureable? nope Does it happen? yep Are there pro tuners who say thats a load of crap? you bet .....but the ones who know its true are the racers that tune their own bikes.
        nobody told me this was a thing....i figured it out for myself then found out later i wasn't alone.

just because something cannot be proven means it does not exist? i know alot of religeous folks that might be disappointed with that logic.

other than just taking someones word for it i suppose there is no way to really show someone what you hear, blind testing is not exactly conclusive either......alot of my realizations can only be heard after a long listening session/s and a/b'ing .

if it makes my findings anymore believable i do put in alot of hours testing.....back and forth verifying to myself then also a/b'ing for friends and family (asking which sounds better to you) without bias.

i suppose y'all may be right and i'm just nuts! lol
        I totally agree with you, but then again maybe I am nuts as well. LMAO

Comment

I think what the engineers understand is the role bias and sight play in forming your impressions. The amount of strawman arguments is fun, but like every other thread of this sort it will likely not end up with the flat earthers realizing the Earth is a somewhat oblate sphere.

The obvious trolling of a certain member aside, very few people are actually claiming differences do not exist.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by ligs View Post
            The one on my RN 803 Yamaha actually seems a bit harsher when you bypass it. Every now and again if I find a really good recording I’ll try it bypassed but usually find myself back to the controls on but all flat.

On my parasound halo it does sound better bypassed more clear without the harshness.....but I haven’t fully figured that one out and won’t until I get the rest of its system together.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
              I think what the engineers understand is the role bias and sight play in forming your impressions. The amount of strawman arguments is fun, but like every other thread of this sort it will likely not end up with the flat earthers realizing the Earth is a somewhat oblate sphere.

The obvious trolling of a certain member aside, very few people are actually claiming differences do not exist.
              I’m not trolling if your referring to me, i’m Serious as a heart attack.......even if I joke around (life is too short!)

edit. And it certainly comes across like the consensus is differences don’t exist

Comment

Coming from the obvious GURU aka know it all, it certainly does come across like the consensus is differences don't exist especially if it cant be measured with specs.

Comment

I’m not trolling if your referring to me, i’m Serious as a heart attack.......even if I joke around (life is too short!)

edit. And it certainly comes across like the consensus is differences don’t exist
                  You're not trolling, just have not accepted confirmation bias.

Comment

Originally posted by Unbiasedsound View Post
                    Coming from the obvious GURU aka know it all, it certainly does come across like the consensus is differences don't exist especially if it cant be measured with specs.
                    You forgot the SMDH LMAO.

Comment

You're not trolling, just have not accepted confirmation bias.
                      That’d be right if I had pre existing bias......I think y’all just have a selective reading problem, every time I say there are plenty of times that what should have been an improvement ended up sounding worse. That seems to get overlooked ?

Comment

..., but like every other thread of this sort ...
                        Sadly, the original post of this thread by Drjay was a good question about what matters and what doesn't for quality sound. Then it was thread-jacked and 90% of the 88 posts are about capacitors and components with the same back and forth as the other 1,000 threads that exist about capacitors and components.

Comment

You forgot the SMDH LMAO.
                          No , I didn't it seems you forgot to write it in your post. LMAO

Comment

That’d be right if I had pre existing bias......I think y’all just have a selective reading problem, every time I say there are plenty of times that what should have been an improvement ended up sounding worse. That seems to get overlooked ?
                            You are assuming that confirmation bias (or all sighted bias) tends towards assumption of "improvement". The bias, in sighted wine tasting as an extremely relevant example, follows the pricetag. Pricetag is everything in wine. However, it is slightly less critical in audio - I would argue material is the leading indicator of bias in audio. Price plays a part, don't get me wrong, but material trumps.

Regardless, the vast majority of actual scientific data (to the point that it has become a tautology) indicate you are incapable of making a conclusion as long as you are aware of the situation. Maybe you are special, in which case Ethan would love to meet you. He offers actual money to people who can back up their claims.

In any event, we hear what we hear - but we are further ahead when we understand how susceptible we are to external influence. Our experiences are real to us, but we have moved past the point that prophets are taken seriously (to ride an image you invoked vis-a-vis religion). Demanding others accept your faith is... A dead end street.

Solder doesn't matter, unless (as I pointed out earlier) you don't know what you are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Unbiasedsound View Post

No , I didn't it seems you forgot to write it in your post. LMAO
                              Oh.

Comment

you don't know what you are doing.
                                Finally something we can agree on...lol

but I don’t know why your so hung up on the solder......I was questioning if it could have made a difference not stating it did.

Comment

Working...
                                X