Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Media Players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media Players

Hi!

I've been using either my receiver or blu-ray player as a media player to play music from my NAS, and find it rather cumbersome.. I'd really like an internet connected device that can access music stored on a NAS on my local network (either FLAC or VBR MP3) and output it via some modern audio cable, with a remote web interface or some other mechanism of controlling the music. It'd be great if I could power it on via an IR remote control. It'd be a bonus if it could make a random album playlist so when I'm not in the mood to think about what I'd like to listen to and let it do that for me.

Its not lost on me that I just described a HTPC running something like teamviewer or remote desktop and (insert media player of choice here) but I'm wondering if there a more elegant and potentially cheaper and less warm running option.

Thanks!

https://roonlabs.com/

https://www.plex.tv/
    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Raspberry Pi with any one of a number of audiophile "HATS", running the software listed above.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Raspberry pi can do a lot of cool things, being a music client is just one of them. Volumio and Pi MusicBox are quite popular.
        "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
        exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Agree. For a little more speed in the processor, you can go with a Asus Tinkerboard over the Pi and run it with Volumio. If you want a one stop shop, Volumio now sells a player at a reasonable price. Also, unlike the PI, which has poor sounding USB out, the TinkerBoard USB out can be run into an existing DAC and sound quite good. Look at the Pi or Tinker Board with a Tone Board DAC.

Comment

Cool! Seems like there's a convenient solution to this one. One of the (many) great things about this board is knowledge far beyond just speaker building.

Comment

I run archphile on a raspberry pi. MPD supports streamed and local media. You can choose to stream to your Jen device or play via a HAT DAC. That's a piggy back DAC the plugs into the GPIO pins of the Pi .I run an IQ AUDIO pro DAC. Sounds great to me. I also run alas eq for switchable equaliser to tame a few awful masterings I have. You gave to gave some system config ability but the flexibility is very piwerful

Comment

www.volumio.com

Comment

Working...
                X