No announcement yet.

Polk PSW10 Any good replacement driver?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good plan. I bought similar knock-down cabinets from Parts Express for my RSS390HF-4 drivers. I did add braces running to the rear wall, it seemed a little flexy without a plate amp installed.
    Francis

Comment

By and large you're better off dollar wise with a plate amp, or an amp that's made for subwoofer usage only. The demands of midrange and high frequency performance that greatly add to the cost of a full bandwidth amp don't exist with an amp that only has to run to 200Hz or lower. I also prefer having an amp with a low pass filter, as that allows cascading of the filter slopes of the AVR and sub amp.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Can you return it to place of purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
          Can you return it to place of purchase?
          Actually since I bought it on Amazon, this product was eligible for a return until May 1st! So this has worked out better than expected. Plus there's a drop off location not far from me.
          Break in period = The time it takes for the new speakers to break in. And the time it takes for you ears to get adjusted to the new speakers.

Comment

Alright so at the beginning I stated that I wasn't happy with my subwoofer purchase which I am not! But now it seems that I'm not happy with the mains either. It's not that they don't sound good because they do sound quite good actually, but they don't get loud. I grew up in the 90's and had always had LOUD speakers, enough to rattle doors off hinges and the neighbors knocking on my door.. I also appreciated fine audio quality, should i just say audiophile? No I won't just say that because people have a negative view towards that name nowadays. But when I grew up, it meant you appreciated all the sonic details and clarity in the music you were listening to. I requently purchased Audio magazine and Stereo Review. So today I want the clarity, accuracy and detail and I want it to be played loudly! So with that being said, how do I go about accomplishing this from the DIY perspective? And it doesn't need to be massive towers either, but each channel/speaker needs to be around 250 watts. So if someone can lead me to some references or an existing project to draw inspiration from I'd truly appreciate it!
            Break in period = The time it takes for the new speakers to break in. And the time it takes for you ears to get adjusted to the new speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Weber View Post
              Alright so at the beginning I stated that I wasn't happy with my subwoofer purchase which I am not! But now it seems that I'm not happy with the mains either. It's not that they don't sound good because they do sound quite good actually, but they don't get loud. I grew up in the 90's and had always had LOUD speakers, enough to rattle doors off hinges and the neighbors knocking on my door.. I also appreciated fine audio quality, should i just say audiophile? No I won't just say that because people have a negative view towards that name nowadays. But when I grew up, it meant you appreciated all the sonic details and clarity in the music you were listening to. I requently purchased Audio magazine and Stereo Review. So today I want the clarity, accuracy and detail and I want it to be played loudly! So with that being said, how do I go about accomplishing this from the DIY perspective? And it doesn't need to be massive towers either, but each channel/speaker needs to be around 250 watts. So if someone can lead me to some references or an existing project to draw inspiration from I'd truly appreciate it!
              Perhaps you are expecting too much out of standard home audio speakers.
              When you say you like it very loud, that is hard to relate to, as no decibel level is used.

Maybe you should try to listen to several other systems to have a reference as to what you do consider agreeable with you, as far as having loud volume etc.

Comment

I don't know how any of the following sound as I haven't built any of them, but for 'loud' speakers you could check out:

Paul Carmody's Tarkus (many happy builders) https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/tarkus

Curt Campbell's Uluwatu (ditto) http://speakerdesignworks.com/SB6pakproject_6.html

Don Raddick's build on PETT with Peerless woofers and a VIFA tweeter (same tweeter as the Uluwatu, I think) http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...a-piece/page10. This design has several builds, I think.

There are many more projects, on PETT and other places. For example, I forget the name of the design but the PE Project gallery has a design which uses multiple DA175s

Geoff

Comment

DIY Sound Group has some waveguide based kits that may go loud enough for you.
                  Francis

Comment

Originally posted by kevintomb View Post

Perhaps you are expecting too much out of standard home audio speakers.
                    When you say you like it very loud, that is hard to relate to, as no decibel level is used.

Maybe you should try to listen to several other systems to have a reference as to what you do consider agreeable with you, as far as having loud volume etc.
                    I don't think I'm expecting too much, but I now realize my tastes prefer something louder than small bookshelf speakers. And as a reference, when I was younger...18 ish, my friend had a pair of Realistic Mach II's with 15" woofers! I also listened to some big Cerwin Vega speakers back then as well. However, I would prefer something with a much smaller footprint.

Originally posted by Geoff Millar
                    I don't know how any of the following sound as I haven't built any of them, but for 'loud' speakers you could check out:

Paul Carmody's Tarkus (many happy builders) https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/tarkus

Curt Campbell's Uluwatu (ditto) http://speakerdesignworks.com/SB6pakproject_6.html

Don Raddick's build on PETT with Peerless woofers and a VIFA tweeter (same tweeter as the Uluwatu, I think) http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...a-piece/page10. This design has several builds, I think.

There are many more projects, on PETT and other places. For example, I forget the name of the design but the PE Project gallery has a design which uses multiple DA175s

Geoff
                    Those Tarkus are definitely heading down the right path! I'm thinking of having at least a good 6.5" to 8" Midwoofer after reading about these. Thanks!

Originally posted by fpitas
                    DIY Sound Group has some waveguide based kits that may go loud enough for you.
                    Thanks! I'll lok into it.

Comment

SOMEtimes it's advantageous to trade SPL for SQ.
                      Google (Dave Tenney's) "Dayton 8". (It HAS been retrofitted w/a mid-dome.)
                      MAYbe you need a pair of "Sensations" (or at least another dual-woofer 3-way)?

Comment

Talking about SQ, somebody here might know: didn't Jeff Bagby design a speaker using a CD on a waveguide?
                        Francis

Comment

I also come from the high SPL car audio environment as well. Had a system in nearly every vehicle I've owned but my current one since it has a decent factory Infinity system with a sub so my ears are just accustomed to high volume levels.

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
                            Talking about SQ, somebody here might know: didn't Jeff Bagby design a speaker using a CD on a waveguide?
                            Jeff did the Fusion Tempest 12, but it is (or has been) discontinued at DIYSG. It used an Eminence 12" woofer and one of the Denovo compression drivers from Erich at DIYsound group.

Comment

Originally posted by scottvalentin View Post

Jeff did the Fusion Tempest 12, but it is (or has been) discontinued at DIYSG. It used an Eminence 12" woofer and one of the Denovo compression drivers from Erich at DIYsound group.
                              Thanks Scott.
                              Francis

Comment

Originally posted by Weber View Post
                                I also come from the high SPL car audio environment as well. Had a system in nearly every vehicle I've owned but my current one since it has a decent factory Infinity system with a sub so my ears are just accustomed to high volume levels.
                                Re 'high' SPL', you do need to be careful about the effect of such levels on your hearing: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/Permiss...posureTime.htm

As we get older, hearing loss happens anyway but there's no need to hurry the process: if your ears are becoming used to high SPLs that may not be a good thing.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                                X