Cheap tweeter shout out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap tweeter shout out

There are SO MANY tweeters at PE that are UNDER $15 ! I used #275-030 (ND20FA-6) in my NanoNeos, years ago.
    Any "gems" in this list? Any to stay away from?

Dayton:
    275-020 TD20F-4 - this is the cheapest, @ $8 !
    275-025 ND16FA-6
    275-035 ND20FB-4
    275-104 ND13FA-4
    275-106 ND16FA-4
    275-116 DSN25F-4
    Peerless (not inc. the "1000 unit min order" models):
    264-1028 BC25SC06 04
    264-1040 BC25TG15 04
    264-1472 DX20BF00 04 - $11?
    Last edited by Chris Roemer; 04-16-2019, 02:23 PM.

I've had good luck with Peerless tweeters. I know some don't like the BC25SC06-04, but I listen to it every day here at work. But, I'm not pushing high SPL at all in the office. I did drag those speakers to Sioux Falls last year. They didn't seem to have any problems in a much larger room, even crossed at 2.2k. Not the nicest tweeters by a long shot, but what do you expect for only $15.
    I have a pair of the DX20BF00 on the shelf - threw them in the cart to get free shipping - haven't used them yet.
    Last edited by tom_s; 04-16-2019, 03:47 PM. Reason: because I'm dumb...
    Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

I liked the DX20 a lot its got an FS under 1K that makes it sound like a bigger tweeter. Flat and easy to work with. The ND20FB I've used a lot. Reasonable sparkle and decent FR. I have a spot for a DSN25Ti or the NHP25Ti
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

The only one I've tried from this list is the BC25TG, used it in three completed projects and love it: balanced, smooth and looks nice too. I don't listen at high volumes so I'm not sure how it would stand up to that sort of use. A further TL courtesy Mr K is in the pipeline, again with the VIFA.

None of the projects are my designs: there's the Lark, by Michael Chua with the SB16PFC woofer; Classix II by Paul Carmody; and a two way by Ralf Giralfino with the Peerless 830656.

Cross over point for the projects is between 2,000 and 2,800Hz.

Geoff
        Last edited by Geoff Millar; 04-18-2019, 06:10 AM.

Comment

I've used 264-1028 BC25SC06 04 in 4 different builds. Not a scan or satori, but sounds good and is easy to cross. I hear the TG variant is better.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Chris, what about the XT25SC90-04? I know it's been used in a number of builds, it's under $20, and I haven't heard anything negative about it. If it follows in it's big brother's footsteps, it's a low cost gem. I thought your fellow cheese-head Marty had used it in project a few years ago?
            Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post
              Chris, what about the XT25SC90-04? I know it's been used in a number of builds, it's under $20, and I haven't heard anything negative about it. If it follows in it's big brother's footsteps, it's a low cost gem. I thought your fellow cheese-head Marty had used it in project a few years ago?
              I've used that tweeter in Ron E's "C-notes" speakers - I haven't finished them yet but tested them in a temporary cabinet, they sound great. The XT itself sounds nice also, but I can't really describe the tweeter sound except to say there seems to be a bit more natural 'zing' to cymbals and violin harmonics than the BC. But they're both good.

The XT is a smaller diameter and looks a bit more unusual than dome tweeters.

I didn't mention them in the above post as they were well over $15 when I bought them.

Geoff

Comment

You left out the ND20FA-6. I've used it and I'll give it a thumbs up. Nice top end but, with all things small and tweeter related, don't cross it over low.

Comment

It's a good time to be a designer.
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                    It's a good time to be a designer.
                    Ain't that the truth!! The crop of decent budget drivers just seems to get a little bigger every year. But as we are finding out lately, consistency may be slightly lacking for some. That reminds me - I better run a sweep test on the XT25SC90's I picked up a while back...

Comment

Budget tweeters don't get much better than this one (Vifa D19TD-05). It was used in a lot of popular commercial speakers back in the day.
                      Peerless by Tymphany D19TD-05 3/4" Poly Dome Tweeter

Comment

Originally posted by fatmarley View Post
                        Budget tweeters don't get much better than this one (Vifa D19TD-05). It was used in a lot of popular commercial speakers back in the day.
                        Yeah the two speakers I use to own used them which was the Mirage (forget model number) and Def tech Bp-2

Comment

Working...
                        X