Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Cheap tweeter shout out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap tweeter shout out

There are SO MANY tweeters at PE that are UNDER $15 ! I used #275-030 (ND20FA-6) in my NanoNeos, years ago.
    Any "gems" in this list? Any to stay away from?

Dayton:
    275-020 TD20F-4 - this is the cheapest, @ $8 !
    275-025 ND16FA-6
    275-035 ND20FB-4
    275-104 ND13FA-4
    275-106 ND16FA-4
    275-116 DSN25F-4
    Peerless (not inc. the "1000 unit min order" models):
    264-1028 BC25SC06 04
    264-1040 BC25TG15 04
    264-1472 DX20BF00 04 - $11?
    Last edited by Chris Roemer; 04-16-2019, 02:23 PM.

I've had good luck with Peerless tweeters. I know some don't like the BC25SC06-04, but I listen to it every day here at work. But, I'm not pushing high SPL at all in the office. I did drag those speakers to Sioux Falls last year. They didn't seem to have any problems in a much larger room, even crossed at 2.2k. Not the nicest tweeters by a long shot, but what do you expect for only $15.
    I have a pair of the DX20BF00 on the shelf - threw them in the cart to get free shipping - haven't used them yet.
    Last edited by tom_s; 04-16-2019, 03:47 PM. Reason: because I'm dumb...
    Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

I liked the DX20 a lot its got an FS under 1K that makes it sound like a bigger tweeter. Flat and easy to work with. The ND20FB I've used a lot. Reasonable sparkle and decent FR. I have a spot for a DSN25Ti or the NHP25Ti
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

The only one I've tried from this list is the BC25TG, used it in three completed projects and love it: balanced, smooth and looks nice too. I don't listen at high volumes so I'm not sure how it would stand up to that sort of use. A further TL courtesy Mr K is in the pipeline, again with the VIFA.

None of the projects are my designs: there's the Lark, by Michael Chua with the SB16PFC woofer; Classix II by Paul Carmody; and a two way by Ralf Giralfino with the Peerless 830656.

Cross over point for the projects is between 2,000 and 2,800Hz.

Geoff
        Last edited by Geoff Millar; 04-18-2019, 06:10 AM.

Comment

I've used 264-1028 BC25SC06 04 in 4 different builds. Not a scan or satori, but sounds good and is easy to cross. I hear the TG variant is better.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Chris, what about the XT25SC90-04? I know it's been used in a number of builds, it's under $20, and I haven't heard anything negative about it. If it follows in it's big brother's footsteps, it's a low cost gem. I thought your fellow cheese-head Marty had used it in project a few years ago?
            Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post
              Chris, what about the XT25SC90-04? I know it's been used in a number of builds, it's under $20, and I haven't heard anything negative about it. If it follows in it's big brother's footsteps, it's a low cost gem. I thought your fellow cheese-head Marty had used it in project a few years ago?
              I've used that tweeter in Ron E's "C-notes" speakers - I haven't finished them yet but tested them in a temporary cabinet, they sound great. The XT itself sounds nice also, but I can't really describe the tweeter sound except to say there seems to be a bit more natural 'zing' to cymbals and violin harmonics than the BC. But they're both good.

The XT is a smaller diameter and looks a bit more unusual than dome tweeters.

I didn't mention them in the above post as they were well over $15 when I bought them.

Geoff

Comment

You left out the ND20FA-6. I've used it and I'll give it a thumbs up. Nice top end but, with all things small and tweeter related, don't cross it over low.

Comment

It's a good time to be a designer.
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                    It's a good time to be a designer.
                    Ain't that the truth!! The crop of decent budget drivers just seems to get a little bigger every year. But as we are finding out lately, consistency may be slightly lacking for some. That reminds me - I better run a sweep test on the XT25SC90's I picked up a while back...

Comment

Budget tweeters don't get much better than this one (Vifa D19TD-05). It was used in a lot of popular commercial speakers back in the day.
                      Peerless by Tymphany D19TD-05 3/4" Poly Dome Tweeter

Comment

Originally posted by fatmarley View Post
                        Budget tweeters don't get much better than this one (Vifa D19TD-05). It was used in a lot of popular commercial speakers back in the day.
                        Yeah the two speakers I use to own used them which was the Mirage (forget model number) and Def tech Bp-2

Comment

Working...
                        X