Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

High end small tweeters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High end small tweeters?

I am looking for small tweeters to pair with some ND90 size woofers. I am trying to use tweeters available at PE.

Are there any really good smaller tweeters, for use about 2.8K or so? Around 90mm diameter or less.

I would go ahead and get the CSS LD22, but at $65, it seems a little expensive in the quantities I need. Similarly, the Wavecor 19mm is quite expensive.

Any great bargains? How is the little Dayton Titanium?

SB26STCN-C000-04. Not available at PE but the performance is outstanding. Don't let the low price fool you. I used them in my Jonquils project and was extremely pleased with them.
    Craig

Comment

Aside from your "typical" 1" domes (that have ODs slightly greater than 4 - 4-1/8"), the next size (bracket) down is clustered around 2.6-2.8", then there are the small guys (mostly neo) around 1-3/4" ODs. Dayton's tiny ND16FA-6 is only around 1-3/8".

Still looking for more input on my "cheap" tweeter thread: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...eter-shout-out

You're looking for something small, but more costly (but not TOO expensive), like a cheap version of the old Morel MDT-40 series?
      Last edited by Chris Roemer; 04-17-2019, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I'd also throw the SB19 into the small AND cheap mix, I think it sounds pretty good!

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
          SB26STCN-C000-04. Not available at PE but the performance is outstanding. Don't let the low price fool you. I used them in my Jonquils project and was extremely pleased with them.
          I am aware of the STCN, I have four of them, and they are outstanding.

Anybody have input on the small Tang Band Ceramic domes?

Comment

Bargain is the ND25FA plays well above cost. I'd take that over the ND25TA. The high power Dayton tweeters look interesting and worth a try imo. I have both the CSS and Wavecor mentioned above, and would give the nod to the CSS
            John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

In a recent ( local event) tweeter - mid shootout / comparison both the ND25FA and Tymphany NE19VTS-04 did very well the latter was a sleeper for sure. Subsequently the measurements posted here
              https://hificompass.com/en/speakers/...ifa-ne19vts-04 confirmed it is a solid choice too On the day the SB26STCN-C000-04 actually rated worse than both those ...........

Comment

Originally posted by brianbe View Post
                In a recent ( local event) tweeter - mid shootout / comparison both the ND25FA and Tymphany NE19VTS-04 did very well the latter was a sleeper for sure. Subsequently the measurements posted here
                https://hificompass.com/en/speakers/...ifa-ne19vts-04 confirmed it is a solid choice too On the day the SB26STCN-C000-04 actually rated worse than both those ...........
                NE19 seems like a very solid choice. Did you test the ne25?

Comment

I have a pair of MTM transmission line towers using the HIVi TN25 tweeter crossed at 3K to a pair of Aura NS3s that sounded great.
                  https://www.parts-express.com/hivi-t...eeter--297-408

Comment

Did you test the ne25? no not that one ref on the event here , post #1501............
                    https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php...0471.1500.html

Comment

Have you look at PE's AMT offerings?

Comment

The 25-1719 is alright. Keep it above 2.5k.
                        Later,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Peerless XT25SC90-04. Less than $20. Small. Not great off-axis but great value.

Comment

Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post
                            Have you look at PE's AMT offerings?
                            The measurements on the PE AMTs are a little wavy for me, they probably sound good but I'm looking for a more predictable response.

EDIT:
                            Reviewing the medium sized one around $60, it's not bad. Good option for a 3 way, but expensive for the performance. Worth trying however, and the flat impedance makes it easy to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by civit View Post

The measurements on the PE AMTs are a little wavy for me, they probably sound good but I'm looking for a more predictable response.

EDIT:
                              Reviewing the medium sized one around $60, it's not bad. Good option for a 3 way, but expensive for the performance. Worth trying however, and the flat impedance makes it easy to work with.
                              Yes, many of them have peaks unfortunately, but I can attest that a good manufacturer of AMT's will have good unit-to-unit consistency. I would know, I've traveled down that road. My back-burner 3-way music monitor project will, as you can clearly see, feature some kind of AMT mid-tweeter contraption.

Comment

Working...
                              X