Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

I'm looking for a speaker kit for music under $400

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for a speaker kit for music under $400

I'm looking to build speakers for only listening to music. Mostly classic rock, jazz, acoustic singer songwriter etc. Not at extremely high volume.
    I'd like to keep my budget under $400 not including the wood including wood. I have plenty of cabinet grade birch plywood on hand.
    My room is 14'x14' I sit about 8-9' from each speaker. Speaker size does not matter. I have a powered 10" sub i can use with them if needed, but it is not the best sub.

I have been thinking bookshelf 2 ways. Continuum II? Speedsters? Tributes?
    Or since I have the room would floor standers be a better option and worth spending a bit more? Like the Speedster TMM? or Classix 2.5?

What source of music?
    How good are the recordings?

On my end, I've only tried the Overnight Sensations (warm, very forgiving), Quarks (precise, magical, not much bass), and S2000 (no real faults, just sort of big).

Pretty much all the choices you have should be pretty solid.
    While I haven't tried them, Paul's Amiga's would probably be pretty good.
    Also, there's Wolf's designs as well as others.

Personally, the Bagby Continuums, Lxmini, and Sehlin Rhodiums are on my short list.

Comment

It'd be really interesting to hear what Wolf recommends.

I tend to like small speakers.

Comment

sorry, the sources are: cd player, FLAC files through a computer with a descent sound card, turntable with a ortofon 2m red cartridge but most of my vinyl is not in top shape. all hooked up to a denon avr receiver.

Comment

Hello from Australia

By "kit", do you mean a pre-collected set of drivers and crossover parts like PE's products, or would you be OK with buying the parts as per the designer's Bill of Materials? The latter will give you much more flexibility but maybe won't be as cheap (-ish) as a PE 'bundle' deal. Would the budget include stands?

Our listening preferences and sources are roughly the same as yours, with classical music thrown in. Our main listening room is much larger, so we need bigger speakers than you would be looking at. You could use bookshelf speakers on stands such as Hitmakers or Classix II, or small floor standers such as the Amigas or Classix 2.5s, which use the same cabinet.

I'm not familiar with Wolf's or Jeff Bagby's designs but have built several DIY designs by Paul Carmody, Curt Campbell and Ron E, we like them all!

Budget wise you will be able to build something great for $400.

There are heaps of options, have fun!

Geoff
          Last edited by Geoff Millar; 04-21-2019, 03:33 AM.

Comment

I can recommend the Classix IIs. I think it would suit the type of music/sources you described. Very forgiving and great bass. I'm building a set of amigas for my neice so can't conment on those yet. I have built all the OS family and they are terrific speakers. The classix have a bit more oomph.
            Carbon13

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon13 View Post
              I can recommend the Classix IIs. I think it would suit the type of music/sources you described. Very forgiving and great bass. I'm building a set of amigas for my neice so can't conment on those yet. I have built all the OS family and they are terrific speakers. The classix have a bit more oomph.
              Agreed, the Classix II are excellent speakers, Paul's write up tells you all you need to know to decide whether or not they're for you. They come in well under your budget so you could spend a bit more and buy more music. We're very happy with ours, even if my cabinets look very home made.

We have some spare DC160s, so at some stage we'll re-use the Classix II drivers and make the Classix 2.5s. For you, the 2.5s will only cost about $40 in extra parts, worth thinking about.

The only comment I'd make is that the DC160 - and the DC130 used in the also excellent Tritrix - are not the most snappy-looking drivers, if that's important to you. The Dayton RS series woofers or Hi Vi metal cones, for example look very 'space age' and are also more expensive. However, appearance is less important if you're going to use grilles.

There are many great sounding DIY speakers out there, but if this is your first build and you want to be happy with your project, I'd suggest building a design which has been built and reviewed by several people, or maybe done well in a competition. Even narrowing the field down with those criteria will give you at least a dozen good options.

Hope this helps

Geoff
              Last edited by Geoff Millar; 04-21-2019, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Speedster TMM would be a very good choice. Exceptional woofers, ribbon tweeter. Two tools needed are a plunge router and a circle cutting jig. You could squeak through with a home made jig and a plain router.

Comment

Honestly, I think the OP should look into Scott's "Indium 7".

Later,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                    Honestly, I think the OP should look into Scott's "Indium 7".

Later,
                    Wolf
                    That does seem to be a lot of bang for the buck!
                    I like how he gave it the old Kappa Infinity look also.

Comment

...and they sound REALLY good too!
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

You might want to look at the SB Micro kit; a competitor is stocking them. I heard them at InDIYana last year and they were pretty impressive for a lil bitty guy. Ben was also impressed by them. Put out way more sound than one would expect.

Comment

I would look at CSS Audio kits as well. They are JUST over budget at 450ish, but have amazing drivers and top notch crossover designs.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
                            Hello from Australia

By "kit", do you mean a pre-collected set of drivers and crossover parts like PE's products, or would you be OK with buying the parts as per the designer's Bill of Materials? The latter will give you much more flexibility but maybe won't be as cheap (-ish) as a PE 'bundle' deal. Would the budget include stands?

Geoff
                            I don't necessarily mean a "kit". A bill of materials and a crossover schematic would be fine. But I am looking for a tried and true design.

My budget is just for components. I have a basic wood shop in my basement and a fair amount of different lumber that I have collected over the years. So I can build the cabinets and stands if needed from what I have on hand. If I do need stands I have two 3 foot sections of a roughly 12 inch round maple tree that fell near my house last fall that I think would look really good with speaker on top of them.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
                              What source of music?

Personally, the Bagby Continuums, Lxmini, and Sehlin Rhodiums are on my short list.
                              The Lxmini's have also been on my mind. Mostly because I'd like to hear them. I have a very large clumsy dog and those stands would need to be secured somehow or tucked between furniture so she can't knock them over.

Comment

Working...
                              X