Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Speaker wire

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post
    Funny you mention the 16bit thing,
    tidal tells you what format the recording is and Many of the 16/44.1 recordings blow away (some) 24/96 stuff

all boils down to the mastering?
    Oh, yeah. Mastering is all-important.
    Francis

Comment

• Picked up some ‘tinned’ 14awg marine speaker wire.....just for s+g also to reduce future corrosion.
      Are there any issues tinned wire may cause?
      Im thinking I should scrape any mechanical connection to bare copper first? Like the 3 way on the amp? Eventually I will end in proper connectors but until then does it matter?

Comment

• Originally posted by philthien View Post
        What is the future for SACD? Some of the stuff I’ve read elsewhere almost makes it sound like the players are becoming more and more difficult to find?
        Currently available SACD players still being manufactured (a few of which are recent introductions):

Arcam CDS50 at $1200; Denon DCD-1600NE at $1200; Cambridge Audio AZUR 851C at $1500 (also has a DAC and preamp); Yamaha CD-S2100 at $3000; Marantz SA-KI Ruby at $4000; McIntosh MCD 350 at $5500; Yamaha CD-S3000 at $6000; and, Marantz SA-10 at $7000.

This list may not be complete, however.
        Paul

Comment

Picked up some ‘tinned’ 14awg marine speaker wire.....just for s+g also to reduce future corrosion.
          Are there any issues tinned wire may cause?
          Im thinking I should scrape any mechanical connection to bare copper first? Like the 3 way on the amp? Eventually I will end in proper connectors but until then does it matter?
          Don't scrape the tin off. It's there for the same reason connectors are coated in nickle or gold. It protects the wire from oxidation, since the "tin" won't react with the air, as well as it will wet to solder much much easier/better than bare oxidized copper. It ensures that your connections are metal to metal, without a layer of oxide in between.
          "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
          exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

• Originally posted by dcibel View Post

Don't scrape the tin off. It's there for the same reason connectors are coated in nickle or gold. It protects the wire from oxidation, since the "tin" won't react with the air, as well as it will wet to solder much much easier/better than bare oxidized copper. It ensures that your connections are metal to metal, without a layer of oxide in between.
            10-4....thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul K. View Post

Currently available SACD players still being manufactured (a few of which are recent introductions):

Arcam CDS50 at $1200; Denon DCD-1600NE at $1200; Cambridge Audio AZUR 851C at $1500 (also has a DAC and preamp); Yamaha CD-S2100 at $3000; Marantz SA-KI Ruby at $4000; McIntosh MCD 350 at $5500; Yamaha CD-S3000 at $6000; and, Marantz SA-10 at $7000.

This list may not be complete, however.
              Paul
              I’m looking for one that does the full gamut (cd/dvd/dvd audio/sacd).......but I do like the azur 851c

Comment

• Other than an external BD-ROM I went mechless a long time ago. There is pure joy in using nice internal DAC on a preamp/processor and only needing to d**k around with one cable (HDMI).
                Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

• I understood what you were wanting and my post was primarily directed at philthien's comment.
                  Paul

Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post

I’m looking for one that does the full gamut (cd/dvd/dvd audio/sacd).......but I do like the azur 851c

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                    Other than an external BD-ROM I went mechless a long time ago. There is pure joy in using nice internal DAC on a preamp/processor and only needing to d**k around with one cable (HDMI).
                    The Yamaha RN 803 I picked up a ways back can do it with no wires! Granted the fidelity is better with the elac’s dac, the yammie does a ok job by itself with MusiCast ....if they ever put together a high end version it’d be a awesome one box alternative. As it stands it’s lower level mid fi at best (personal opinion)and as high up the food chain in that line with musicast as you can go.....still nice piece though.

Comment

• I started at hospital outlets and ended up at dirty electricity. My system must sound truly awful compared to y'alls.

Comment

• Originally posted by djg View Post
                        I started at hospital outlets and ended up at dirty electricity. My system must sound truly awful compared to y'alls.
                        You never know when the wife might have to tear the wire from the speaker crank it up to 10 and yell ‘clear’......I am getting to that age! lol

edit.....have you seen what their trying to pass for outlets these days, it’s not that big a reach wanting a better one if not for any other reason than wanting it to stay in the wall when you unplug something!

Comment

• Oh yah.....put better plugs on the fridge, washer/dryer......looking for ‘quality’ cool, whiter whites and the driest of dries!

Actually just didn’t want my new house to burn down b4 I got the entertainment center done......some of the stuff the UL passes is scary.

Comment

• Y’all are gonna love this one...

could the wire type change tempo? Maybe this one is my imagination but I swear the tinned wire slowed the music ever so slightly.

Comment

Y’all are gonna love this one...

could the wire type change tempo? Maybe this one is my imagination but I swear the tinned wire slowed the music ever so slightly.
                              Of course. Lead is a heavy metal.
                              Francis

Comment

• Originally posted by fpitas View Post

Of course. Lead is a heavy metal.
                                Well kindly serious......set my ‘distance’ dsp (which im not quite sure actually does....maybe phase shift?) closer by 1.2 ‘ (where it sounded best)and now it’s back in order.

Can’t imagine why I would subliminally think that was gonna happen, just an observation.

you know come to think of it I have had to mess with the distance on each wire change? They are all the same length too.

Comment

Working...
                                X