Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Speaker wire

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're worried about tempo, use 3 conductor extension cord cable, 2 conductors for plus, one for minus. It disrupts the electrons, or so I've read.

Comment

• I don't know what to follow more closely, the NBA playoffs or Mountainman Bob's thread!

Comment

• Pitch is lower too....quite noticeable on a female vocal test track I use.

If wire has affected the tempo (slower) then that definately jives with the pitch change....had to look it up so if I knew this it would have been from 15 yrs ago when I messed around with recording and mastering. Don’t think even I’m able to dig that deep for bias!

I think there are small differences in wire....probably small enough not to matter, but maybe the pitch changes via tempo is what all these ‘audiophiles’ go on about?

Is tempo and pitch accounted for in speaker measuring technique? Serious question......like if someone altered tempo a small amount (barely discernible) on a track would it measure differently than the original in your typical measurement session.....or enough for someone to take note?

Comment

• This is getting hilarious
          Craig

Comment

• See now that’s just not helpful at all......if tempo and pitch are indeed something that shows up obviously differentl your measuring then just say so.

I mean you don’t even measure responses to actual music when you measure do you? Test tones mostly isn’t it?

Comment

• Originally posted by philthien View Post
              Disagreement often feels like hostility.
              Its more like how a person disagrees with another that can feel like hostility, like some taking pot shots and others posting sarcastic meme's....Fine example is PWR RYD's post. hehehehehe

Bob seems very sincere in his post as he is trying to learn and understand but some of yawl are the ones that are hostile and label anyone a troll if they have a difference of opinion. Which is one of the main reason why a lot of newbies are afraid to ask questions for fear of being ridiculed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Unbiasedsound View Post

Its more like how a person disagrees with another that can feel like hostility, like some taking pot shots and others posting sarcastic meme's....Fine example is PWR RYD's post. hehehehehe

Bob seems very sincere in his post as he is trying to learn and understand but some of yawl are the ones that are hostile and label anyone a troll if they have a difference of opinion. Which is one of the main reason why a lot of newbies are afraid to ask questions for fear of being ridiculed.
                Xactly!

It would explain to me what I’m hearing and maybe what all these ‘audiophiles’ are hearing too......I’m definately hearing something different even between junk vs junk.
                its like I’m going outside and saying boy it’s bright today! Then being told are you sure it’s bright?
                im well aware of why it’s easy to say it’s all in ones head, but my head isn’t complicated enough to make this crap up!

Comment

• I like Bob. I turned him on to his next speakers. He can take a joke. This beats another boom box thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post
                    See now that’s just not helpful at all......if tempo and pitch are indeed something that shows up obviously differentl your measuring then just say so.

I mean you don’t even measure responses to actual music when you measure do you? Test tones mostly isn’t it?

When you measure it is with tones. You do not measure tempo as crossovers and speakers do not change tempo or speed of sound. As for pitch, a different pitch is a different frequency and would show up in a frequency measurement. With that said a crossover or speaker would not change the pitch of the sound.

Comment

• Originally posted by killa View Post

When you measure it is with tones. You do not measure tempo as crossovers and speakers do not change tempo or speed of sound. As for pitch, a different pitch is a different frequency and would show up in a frequency measurement. With that said a crossover or speaker would not change the pitch of the sound.
                      Was more saying/asking that different speaker wire may change tempo (which directly affects pitch, a known) whether that’s something else changing to give the perception or actual change in tempo idk. I’m not even going to bother a/b ing it as it would hold no weight.....bias and all.
                      So all I can do is give my interpretation realtime.

pitch was noticeably lower on a female vocal track I test with and I have had to mess with ‘distance’ settings

Comment

• Pitch and tempo can be measured with rta software. If you bought sh!tty cable, it may be fairly reactive. The perception of tempo changing is in your head, as is the implication you introduced a delay as significant as 1.2' in your 2-channel system.

Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

• I can't stop checking this thread.

By "pitch" or "tone", are you referring to the complex overtones an instrument makes (that give it it's "sound" or character), or the fundamental frequency of an instrument?

If it's the former, a drastic change or ill-conceived crossover could affect the "tone" by altering the proportion of an instruments overtones in relation to the fundamental. This (maybe) could be perceived as making the fundamental note seem higher or lower. Speaker wire? Well, I guess in the extreme case, if you had some crazy long run of wire, wrapped around a steel light pole several dozen times, you would have enough inductance to filter some of the overtones.

The latter. If you were running towards or away from the speaker and a significant speed, the Doppler effect would make the "tone" rise or fall. This effect can be heard in an outdoor venue on a windy day too. However, short of some a digital effect, Ill spinning turntable or worn out tape deck, there is nothing in audio gear that alters the frequency of the signals.

Comment

• Off Center Record - YouTube

Comment

• [QUOTE=johnnyrichards;n1411316]Pitch and tempo can be measured with rta software. If you bought sh!tty cable, it may be fairly reactive. The perception of tempo changing is in your head, as is the implication you introduced a delay as significant as 1.2' in your 2-channel system.

[/QUOTE

i don’t know what it equates to in reality ....musicast (Yamaha) has it on a sliding scale for L/R and sub measuring from 1’ to 78’ just saying I moved it what they say is 1.2’ .......there is a significant change when you slide it up and down (it reacts real time) and it doesn’t take much to make it change.
                              They call it ‘distance’. And describe it as ‘a delay system that affects how the sound of each speake4 reaches the listener’

how much do you think it’s Actually changing it? phase affects delay a little bit doesn’t it.... may just be a phase control?

Comment

• Originally posted by Unbiasedsound View Post

First of all, the questions he has asked are very objective in nature, there isn't much room for differences of opinion.

Second, he has been a bit dismissive of answers, some might even say argumentative.

Third, you have no idea if "a lot of newbies" are afraid to ask questions, that is pure conjecture on your part. I've seen no evidence of any such thing. Quite the opposite, actually.

Fourth, the student doesn't get to dictate the terms.

Comment

Working...
                                X