Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Speaker wire

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adam_M View Post
    I've been following these threads - they are good reading. I've got to ask though - if you are willing to invest in high-end wires, caps, and associated components, why not just bite the bullet and buy an Omnimic so you can truly understand what's going on? It'll be far better than you phone. You have no idea what is being done by the phone or software, without your knowledge, nor do you have any idea about the mic response. Who knows, the peak at 100Hz could be you room, or the mic, or phone software, or the case, and the rolloff could be any of those, plus the off-axis response of the mic in your phone...
    This is supposed to be fairly accurate.....I guess you couldn’t see in the other pic

Comment

• Originally posted by GTPlus View Post

Curious, what were you aiming to find out with this test?
      I suppose it was more a demo of something/how I do measure....irrelevant, but gives me a picture of what I’m hearing. And I have been able to relate different functions of the app to actual changes in what I’m hearing....so that’s kinda cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post

I suppose it was more a demo of something/how I do measure....irrelevant, but gives me a picture of what I’m hearing. And I have been able to relate different functions of the app to actual changes in what I’m hearing....so that’s kinda cool.
        If I'm understanding you correctly, the curve that you posted is really only the average response of that particular song, not the response of your system. For instance you stated "not sure about the spike at 100hz....could be just recording specific." Technically the whole curve is recording specific. Correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by GTPlus View Post

If I'm understanding you correctly, the curve that you posted is really only the average response of that particular song, not the response of your system. For instance you stated "not sure about the spike at 100hz....could be just recording specific." Technically the whole curve is recording specific. Correct?
          Yep.....like I said, irrelevant.

there is a fair amount of averaging going on........I corrected a spike or two I was getting on all music, Chris roemer gets most of the credit for steering me in the right direction, I think I already frustrated him......I realize I’m a lot to digest. lol

like I told Francis, I’m really just dialing to my library and only high end recordings......it all kindly started with ‘can you use the xo for tuning to your room/application.

Edit......adding to that I did in fact identify problems at the lp with this technique and also did in fact solve those issues with changes to the xo. So to answer the original question, one indeed can tune a speaker to the room/lp and even to a particular style of music.
          Not something that is taught (obviously) just something I wanted to try.....results worked well but it also depends a lot on using your ‘ear’ and trusting what your hearing. A controversial subject indeed!

Comment

• There was a inductor blind test video done (probably a member here)...Most got at least 2 correct while a few got it all correct but most comments say it was attributed to just plain old "LUCK"....Personally I don't buy that it was just all luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2YqlGcQ84E&t=1s

Comment

• Originally posted by Unbiasedsound View Post
              There was a inductor blind test video done (probably a member here)...Most got at least 2 correct while a few got it all correct but most comments say it was attributed to just plain old "LUCK"....Personally I don't buy that it was just all luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2YqlGcQ84E&t=1s
              Yah, not sure I would consider that a viable test.

Comment

• I would think that mic and software can do an actual frequency response measurement? If it can it would be better to use it that way to see what the speakers are actually doing and give you a basline to go off of.

Comment

• Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post
                  I don't know what to follow more closely, the NBA playoffs or Mountainman Bob's thread!
                  The second round (NBA) will be way more exciting!

Comment

• Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                    Amps are protected against high impedance loads?
                    Some people think they are. LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by killa View Post
                      I would think that mic and software can do an actual frequency response measurement? If it can it would be better to use it that way to see what the speakers are actually doing and give you a basline to go off of.
                      Yah I believe it can.....gonna have to setup a test tone generator via airplay to the receiver just not sure how accurate all that would be........would be a baseline at least and I plan to get a better protocol when I voice my new builds.

This is all experimentation just to see what’s possible and get a handle on what changes will actually sound like at the lp

Comment

• I have a simple and straight forward question. Do you listen to music, or do you listen to gear?

A good song will sound good on an A.M. radio, with a rotted speaker cone. The rest is just how deep you want to go into "fapping." Choose your depth. No one else cares what your setup sound like. If you don't think it doesn't sound right, pick some different music that you enjoy, regardless of the equipment, or tweaks.

I'm serious. This is why I wander away from audio forums for years at a time. This incessant obsession. Get over it, and enjoy the music, the art, the creativity. If the "pace" or whatever gives you grief, maybe you are not a real music lover. You are a gear lover.

Comment

• Originally posted by chad1376 View Post
                          I have a simple and straight forward question. Do you listen to music, or do you listen to gear?

A good song will sound good on an A.M. radio, with a rotted speaker cone. The rest is just how deep you want to go into "fapping." Choose your depth. No one else cares what your setup sound like. If you don't think it doesn't sound right, pick some different music that you enjoy, regardless of the equipment, or tweaks.

I'm serious. This is why I wander away from audio forums for years at a time. This incessant obsession. Get over it, and enjoy the music, the art, the creativity. If the "pace" or whatever gives you grief, maybe you are not a real music lover. You are a gear lover.
                          If I want to listen to actual music I prefer live......which could also very easily be ruined by bad gear,

Bluegrass is an interesting genre of music to me as much of it is played without amplification, commonly it’s played off porches to naturally compound the sound....magical to experience in the presence of masters, most of the masters can’t read a lick of music but yet can lay down some of the most beautiful sounds you’ll ever encounter.

I really don’t think I owe you (or anyone for that matter) any explanation as to what drives my passion......what I’m saying is just because a test tone sweep is ‘flat’ measured at 1” or 1m. doesn’t necessarily equate to flat music(or maybe even close to listenable music) at lp.
                          I’m trying to discuss a different take on xo tuning that seems important (to me anyway) in the sense that if your building your own speakers and designing your own system into a specific space (as many do) why in the He double hockey sticks would you want to design a xo that’s going to need room treatment to correct the sound at lp, when you can just measure the actual music your going to be listening straight from the lp in the first place and tune the room treatment into the xo.

I know recordings are all going to be different and there are tools and tricks I’ve learned along the way to counter that.

Yes I agree, should be starting with actual fr sweeps as baseline measurements and plan to on the next go round.....as I said this was all experimentation and practice.

I’ve been alive long enough to know you have to crack a few eggs and pay a few dues before expecting acceptable results from any endeavor you partake without any experience.

I apologize to those who can’t back up and see how this might be something to consider, at least say ‘hey if you wanna go through all that bs than have at it’ and don’t just assume because you’ve only been taught one way to do something there are no others.

The last time I listened to music on a.m. radio was 1974

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post

Yah, not sure I would consider that a viable test.
                            After a little thought,
                            if Ryan were to accurately record these ‘test’ tracks onto a downloadable flac file (with full resolution) I could see something like this holding a little more water......but I’m gonna guess someone ofhis stature would have known this and was just messing with people, I would hope anyway as my next build is of his design!

Comment

• Originally posted by chad1376 View Post
                              I have a simple and straight forward question. Do you listen to music, or do you listen to gear?

Amen.

Starting a thread called Speaker Wire at a place like this is guaranteed to attract attention. Which seems to have been the objective.

Comment

• Originally posted by Liberator of Magic Smoke View Post

Amen.

Starting a thread called Speaker Wire at a place like this is guaranteed to attract attention. Which seems to have been the objective.
                                And we haven't even explored the PRaT possibilities inherent in quality power cords!
                                Francis

Comment

Working...
                                X