Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Speaker wire

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post

=/=

Short hand for "does not equal".

Surge protection is good to have. AC filtering, not sure is necessary but there are some inexpensive options out there.
    Gotcha......my mom worked in a office and I remember looking at a note pad of hers when I was a kid and asking why she wrote in Arabic!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post

Your just a ray of sunshine ain’t ya!

while I’ve got your attention I’m starting on my subs and am gonna use that design we discussed a ways back that resembled a angled kick bin.....anyway, I’ll be using plywood not mdf, I have two sheets of 1” I could use; is there any benefit to that or just adding pita factor? I realize I’d have to make the external dim. larger to keep the volume the same......questioning whether it would help any with cabinet resonance?

thanks, bob
      It will not do much for resonance. Adding side to side bracing would help a lot more than adding thickness.

Comment

• Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
        I've given you advice before only to have you dismiss it out of hand in favor of your own voodoo based preconceived notions. I'm not wasting my time giving you any more advice that will only serve as fodder for additional arguing on your part.
        What makes you think I dismissed your advice? I took it into consideration......just because I didn’t follow it to a T doesn’t mean I dismissed it.

Your advice was that design showed no obvious benefit other than increasing build complication.

i saw several benefits for me, one being I thought it looked cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by killa View Post

It will not do much for resonance. Adding side to side bracing would help a lot more than adding thickness.
          Thats kindly what the google results were, couple things said it’s quite hard to eliminate resonance......you just move it up or down in freq.

Saw something about bracing the backside of the magnet to curb front to back motion?

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post

=/=

Short hand for "does not equal".

Surge protection is good to have. AC filtering, not sure is necessary but there are some inexpensive options out there.
            I'd just shove a Corcom in a metal junction box. But maybe that's just me
            Francis

Comment

• Originally posted by fpitas View Post

I'd just shove a Corcom in a metal junction box. But maybe that's just me
              I looked those up after you mentioned it earlier.....there’s quite a few options!

the amperage ratings are exponential to cost. ( May have said that backwards!)

im guessing you’d need at least 15a or even 20a ?

Comment

I looked those up after you mentioned it earlier.....there’s quite a few options!

the amperage ratings are exponential to cost. ( May have said that backwards!)

im guessing you’d need at least 15a or even 20a ?
                Depends on your load. And sure...you have a wide variety of filtering options, as well as choice of terminals etc. etc.
                Francis

Comment

Depends on your load. And sure...you have a wide variety of filtering options, as well as choice of terminals etc. etc.
                  Curious about your pass amp in this scenario

Does it draw a lot more in comparison to output? I know most class A amps make a lot of heat was just wondering if a low wattage amp like that still needed high amperage to run?

Comment

Curious about your pass amp in this scenario

Does it draw a lot more in comparison to output? I know most class A amps make a lot of heat was just wondering if a low wattage amp like that still needed high amperage to run?
                    It draws 200W or so continuously. It's only rated at 25W output, so yes, the efficiency is awful. Welcome to the world of class A
                    Francis

Comment

It draws 200W or so continuously. It's only rated at 25W output, so yes, the efficiency is awful. Welcome to the world of class A
                      25w pure class A is a boatload from what I gather! I would have assumed worse efficiency.

Comment

25w pure class A is a boatload from what I gather! I would have assumed worse efficiency.
                        To a horn 25W is a boatload. The drivers are rated at 111dB/W/m.
                        Francis

Comment

To a horn 25W is a boatload. The drivers are rated at 111dB/W/m.
                          Would one of the benefits of biamping be the ability to lower the amp gain instead of using a lpad on the tweeter (I know active would eliminate that too)

or might that introduce different problems?

Comment

Would one of the benefits of biamping be the ability to lower the amp gain instead of using a lpad on the tweeter (I know active would eliminate that too)

or might that introduce different problems?
                            Biamping is active. And yes, you can use a different amp for the tweeter. In the case of a horn though, with a normal class AB amp I'd still use a substantial pad to get the amp working in its normal range, up out of the noise floor and crossover distortion.
                            Francis

Comment

Ok, riddle me this......

Pete, your a respected member here from what I can tell......correct me if I’m imagining that!

I’m seeing members posting up pics of their high dollar speaker wires but yet they must just use them because they’re pretty (or look like they bite lol) then I see you post a pic of your verastarr’s.....of course with the qualifier that they were free (gift) .

So I look up these wires and in someone’s description of what his interpretation of they might bring to the table......dynamic (ok yah) and then he uses the term ‘fast’.....

now I never liked language courses much but I remember the opposite of fast is slow......as in my description of the tinned wire. ‘Slowed the tempo’

I’m picking up on some double standards going on......like high dollar speaker cables are ok as long as they were a gift?

help me out, I’m really suffering with this!

Bob
                              As I stated, they lay flat and look great. That’s why I like them.

If you’re serious about hearing a difference then prove it to yourself with blind evaluations. Otherwise it’s an exercise in futility.

High dollar speaker cables like the Verastarr are made as works of art. Art isn’t cheap. High purity copper conductor wrapped up all pretty costs money. If you’ve spent big bux on a system and you have the cash, get what’s nice to you.

I’m not going to attempt to tout the superiority of these cables over regular cheap wire. I don’t really care.
                              Would I have bought them myself? Probably not. Too expensive. But I wanted a set of cables after I saw them the first time. In many cases we buy with our eyes.
                              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• When people say "fast" or "slow" they are talking about transient response not tempo. The tempo or speed of the sound only changes due to the source changing it. It will not change from the source to the speaker unless you hear at the speed of electricity.

Comment

Working...
                                X