Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Speaker wire

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post

    Do you have any older threads that discuss your active system? If not maybe you could start one I’d love to discuss that, active has been on my short list for some time.
    Some of the equipment in my setup:

    https://www.parts-express.com/behrin...-cros--248-669

    http://www.firstwatt.com/j2.html

    http://www.parasound.com/a21.php

    https://www.proaudiodesign.com/products/tad-td-2002

    http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=...ers&Itemid=359

    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--295-468

    Francis

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by fpitas View Post

      Well, people here aren't much into active or horns; but here are some great articles by Rod Elliott:

      http://sound.whsites.net/biamp-vs-passive.htm

      http://sound.whsites.net/ptd.htm

      http://sound.whsites.net/bi-amp.htm

      http://sound.whsites.net/bi-amp2.htm
      Thanks, I’ll check them out.

      one of of my favorites is the klipschorn, thought it was a little edgy but loved the ‘live’ sound.

      Then I heard a set that had a bob crites modified xo......that totally peaked my interest in what was actually possible.

      my next build has horns.....and my list includes building some version of mini lascala’s (mainly why I’m furthering my education)

      Comment


      • #93
        Nice! You have no problem at all letting the moths fly for quality pieces!

        i’ve heard Nelson pass is a guru of amplifiers, pretty sure someone like that understands QC.

        I’ll make up a list of what’s in my new system I’ve been accumulating for the house we’re building, but gotta get some actual work done b4 the mrs reems me a new oriface!

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post

          Then help one understand some tweaks that matter instead of pushing the ladder off the roof while someone’s halfway up......I like joking around but some of responses to questions which are serious (to me) are just met with total superiority and attitude.......I’m being as respectful as I can muster because I Want to learn, not because I’ve got some ulterior motive to undermine all that is true in audio.

          Please keep in mind I’m in my mid 50’s and have been involved in many facets of audio since the single digits of my youth.....I thank my uncle Bobby for that.
          the burhoes that I so love to tweak on were his......the same ones that introduced me to hi-fi when I was about 12.

          Not to stir the pot but some of the things that are absolutely dismissed by many here are things I’m finding relevant in my own unbiased testing......I was a science geek in school and well versed in testing hypothesis and theory.

          We can agree to disagree and still have a civil repertoire.....no?
          Were you schooled in bias? Because until you've somehow blinded yourself and isolated your variable, your ability to see the DUT means what you hear is influenced by what you see (and know).

          I'm pretty sure the oxidized wire would have sounded exactly like new cord, in a true double-blind test.

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by philthien View Post

            I'm pretty sure the oxidized wire would have sounded exactly like new cord, in a true double-blind test.
            Really ? Do you not understand how much resistance this would add to the wire ? I am surprised the amp's protective circuit didn't turn the amp off. So many ignorant coments in this thread it is amazing.
            craigk

            " Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

            Comment


            • #96
              Amps are protected against high impedance loads?
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                Amps are protected against high impedance loads?
                if you are not using tubes or junk yes. Many good amps will sense the load/heat and gi into protection mode. I am sure with the amps you use this is not true though. You do understand when you have more resistance it draws more load and causes more hest. Havd you heard of thermal protection ?
                craigk

                " Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post

                  Thanks, I’ll check them out.

                  one of of my favorites is the klipschorn, thought it was a little edgy but loved the ‘live’ sound.

                  Then I heard a set that had a bob crites modified xo......that totally peaked my interest in what was actually possible.

                  my next build has horns.....and my list includes building some version of mini lascala’s (mainly why I’m furthering my education)
                  The xover is normally important, but it's absolutely critical with horns.
                  Francis

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post

                    Nice! You have no problem at all letting the moths fly for quality pieces!

                    i’ve heard Nelson pass is a guru of amplifiers, pretty sure someone like that understands QC.

                    I’ll make up a list of what’s in my new system I’ve been accumulating for the house we’re building, but gotta get some actual work done b4 the mrs reems me a new oriface!
                    I talked to Mr. Pass before pulling the trigger on the J2. As I suspected, he had a good horn amplifier in mind when he designed the J2. Horns don't need gobs of power, but crossover distortion from a normal amp can be a problem, because of the exceptional power sensitivity of the horns. Just a few mW is enough to power them. A normal amp really isn't intended for that use.
                    Francis

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by craigk View Post
                      You do understand when you have more resistance it draws more load and causes more hest. Havd you heard of thermal protection ?
                      Higher resistance results in lower current draw and less heat. Also lower volume from the speaker due to the insertion loss, but no amp is going into protect mode on account of that.

                      www.billfitzmaurice.com
                      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by craigk View Post

                        Really ? Do you not understand how much resistance this would add to the wire ? I am surprised the amp's protective circuit didn't turn the amp off.
                        Speaker cable oxidation is a fairly common phenomenon. If you were correct, we'd expect numerous posts on forums about oxidized cables causing distress to amps. Obviously, as Bill points out below, extra resistance isn't a problem insofar as amplifiers are concerned, but rather the opposite.

                        If oxidation were a problem we'd also likely see extra precautions touted by manufacturers, but that isn't the case.

                        I could go on and on, but my point is the key in making bold statements such as you've made here, is to consider the ramifications of your assertion. Oftentimes you can avoid embarrassment by just thinking things through.

                        Think, "where are all the flying pigs?"

                        Originally posted by craigk View Post
                        So many ignorant coments in this thread it is amazing.
                        Now that you're posting, yes.

                        Comment


                        • Fun fact, and true story.

                          Running by big horn sub (<<the one next to my kid) with a EV AP2600 (300 WPC.) Long run of corroded (and certainly under-gauged wires). Saturday night, a few beers, and lots of SPL. Wires ended up crispy, gooey insulation. Probably lucky I didn't start a fire.

                          Amp was fine.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by fpitas View Post

                            The xover is normally important, but it's absolutely critical with horns.
                            That's an understatement. I've been playing with and measuring the midrange and high frequency horns that I got. Little changes in the crossovers make HUGE differences. A few more hours of playing might just convince me to go active.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by devnull View Post

                              That's an understatement. I've been playing with and measuring the midrange and high frequency horns that I got. Little changes in the crossovers make HUGE differences. A few more hours of playing might just convince me to go active.
                              Yeah. The horn giveth, and the horn taketh away! Once you get them right you can hear the flies whispering on the studio wall. But they're very very picky...
                              Francis

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by philthien View Post

                                Speaker cable oxidation is a fairly common phenomenon. If you were correct, we'd expect numerous posts on forums about oxidized cables causing distress to amps. Obviously, as Bill points out below, extra resistance isn't a problem insofar as amplifiers are concerned, but rather the opposite.

                                If oxidation were a problem we'd also likely see extra precautions touted by manufacturers, but that isn't the case.

                                I could go on and on, but my point is the key in making bold statements such as you've made here, is to consider the ramifications of your assertion. Oftentimes you can avoid embarrassment by just thinking things through.

                                Think, "where are all the flying pigs?"



                                Now that you're posting, yes.
                                While the amp part may be wrong the part about the sound being affected by oxidation is probably correct. More so if the corrosion is at a contact point

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X