Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project - Theater Wall

Hey Everyone!

I thought I'd share a little progress on my next project - a custom home theater wall. The project will consist of 6 individual cabinets surrounding a projection screen. I plan to apply decorative trim after installing the cabs, which will tie them all together, and give the appearance of a single large built-in. The squares inside the trim will all have decorative grille inserts - even though not all will have speakers behind them.

The subs in the corners will be 2 Dayton LS12-44s, and the left/center/right speakers will be Yamaha NS-IW760s. I had originally wanted to do a full DIY speaker build into the cabs, but for time reasons, I chose to go with of-the-shelf in walls.

Attached are images of the 3 bottom cabinets. The small square cutouts are to allow access to existing power outlets. I'll post additional photos as the project progresses!

Cheers!

Joe

Good evening!

here are a couple updates on this project. The 5 primary cabinets are installed. The cabinet for across the top is still pending. Once that is complete I’ll move on to trimming it all out, painting, and building grills. The LS12-44s sound great in the 1.5 cubic foot sealed boxes with light stuffing.

All of the wires are running up/down to a rabbit in the top plate of the base bottom cabinets, which then feeds over into the adjacent utility closet.

More updates as they happen.

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

Good morning!

Just a quick project update. All the trim is up on the cabs and painted. I did 2 coats of primer, sanded with 400, and then brushed on an alkyd paint with a foam brush. This was my first time using this method, and the finish turned out pretty nice - not spray smooth, but pretty smooth overall.

Now it’s on to the grills, which will fill in all the black baffle space and the open spaces at the top.

cheers!

joe

Comment

Looks good Joe. Should look pretty stealthy with the grills on, real theater-like.

How do you like the built-in speakers for movies? Do you plan to use similar ones for the rear surrounds?

Wondering also if the screen being set back reduces glare off of lights and what not?

Looks like a perfect place to put one nice easy chair and watch something good!

TomZ
        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

That's going to look good when you finish it. Fun place to watch a movie. I say put a treadmill in there and a heart monitor that only lets the screen turn on if your HR is above a sitting heart rate.

Comment

That'll do some movies justice!
            A mains
            The Ventures
            Open Invit8tions
            RSR
            Sound Troopers
            Acorns
            DGBG's
            The Monuments

Comment

What you can’t see in this picture is that my exercise bike is in-fact in front of the screen - well it’s behind the sectional that’s in front of the screen. I haven’t yet biked and watched TV, but that’s a good idea!

with regard to TomZ’s questions... I did the 8” Yamaha in ceiling speakers in the rear. The whole system is just the 5.2 setup. I had a 9.2 setup in my previous house (there is a thread on the IB subs I had there), and honestly, I didn’t find 9.2 to be worth the hassle or cost. The Yamahas are a step up from the Silver Ticket in walls I had previously, but they’re not a high-end speaker in my mind. I’m crossing to the subs at 100hz and the setup integrates well.

My previous setup had the The center and mains behind the screen, which I liked a lot compared to having the center below the screen, but after adjusting the level of the center up a bit, I’m starting to get used to it.

the stand-out in the setups is for sure the Shallow Dayton subs. I was not expecting much from these after having 2 10” Ultimax’s, but these things sound great! The sealed configuration sounds very controlled. Originally I had planned to use the MiniDSP to prop up the low end, but I’m not sure it’s necessary after watching a few movies so far.

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

Here is the final project.

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

Looks nice. Have fun.

Comment

Nice setup Joe.
                    Where do you have your HT gear? Are your lights on a remote too?
                    Where is the beer frig, next to the bike?
                    Andy

Comment

That looks amazing. Same questions as above on location of gear. How do you like the sound? Would you do anything differently.

Comment

What is the width of the room? I'm trying to visualize what I'm visualizing. Looks to be 11.5 to 12' wide? I love it. Really cool.
                        TomZ
                        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Nice clean look! Great job!

Comment

All:

Thank you for the feedback and questions! Well, first and foremost, I am happy to confirm there is a beer fridge near by.

The door that can be seen to the right of the theater room is a room with all the home mechanicals in it, so I wired all the electronics in there. I was lucky to have easy access to the ceiling joists from this space to run power and HDMI to the projector. I made a shallow recessed box for the projector in the ceiling to hide as much of the mount/cords as possible, and to get the projector as close to the ceiling as possible. The speaker wires are all run through a channel in the top-plate of the bottom cabinet, then through the wall to the right. You can see where they come through in the picture of the electronics. I also wired a separate electrical circuit for the home theater system, so that the components are relatively isolated. In order to control everything I am using an IR relay unit that works really well for transmitting the remote signal into the other room.

Tomzarbo, that was a really good guess - the room is 138" wide. It's a 110" screen.

As far as how it sounds, I'm quite please with this install over the install I did in our previous house. I previously had a 9.2 setup, and I don't regret only doing 5.2 in this house. The shallow Dayton subwoofers sound fantastic - far better than I expected.

The one thing I wish I could have done differently would have been to do some DIY speakers in the boxes instead of off-the-shelf in-walls. Unfortunately, that would have added considerable time to this project, and I have a little boy's bed and several other things on my to-do list.

It would have been great to make the leap to 4K for this project, but that would have required replacing basically all the electronics, so that will have to be an upgrade in the future.

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

Working...
                            X