Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Which terminal is +

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Which terminal is +

    Help! Airborne RT-4001 has no terminal markings. Which is positive, the small or large spade? I don't think the old battery trick works with AMTs.

    Thanks.


  • #2
    By common conventions, the big terminal is positive.
    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

    Comment


    • #3
      As further confirmation, on drivers I've used with terminals that were marked with polarity symbols or colors and also had one terminal wider than the other, the wider terminal has always been the positive one.
      Paul

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks dcibel and Paul. I may get these together before Friday!

        Comment


        • #5
          Yup... I assumed big terminal was positive, so if you treat them that way, the crossover schematic will work as intended.
          Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

          Sehlin Sound Solutions

          Comment


          • #6
            I check mine, well their twins, and sure enough they don't have any markings either.










            Until you look closely....real close....between the bar that holds the spade terminals and the rear of the tweeter body....







            Thankfully, the diaphragm itself has color coded lead wires as you can see from those pics above.



            Good that you got it sorted out regardless.

            Comment


            • #7
              They make two types of push on spade connecting female terminals, one is wide and the other is skinny......As for the reasons why (besides the obvious of positive and negative) one is wider then the other I don't know maybe others can shed some light on it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post
                I check mine, well their twins, and sure enough they don't have any markings either.










                Until you look closely....real close....between the bar that holds the spade terminals and the rear of the tweeter body....







                Thankfully, the diaphragm itself has color coded lead wires as you can see from those pics above.



                Good that you got it sorted out regardless.
                Now that's a thorough explanation!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by scottsehlin View Post
                  Yup... I assumed big terminal was positive, so if you treat them that way, the crossover schematic will work as intended.
                  Thanks for that confirmation, Scott.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Unbiasedsound View Post
                    They make two types of push on spade connecting female terminals, one is wide and the other is skinny......As for the reasons why (besides the obvious of positive and negative) one is wider then the other I don't know maybe others can shed some light on it.
                    Poka-yoke... Prevents manufacturing errors when assembling.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Markings sometimes wear off, or don't get properly printed, too.
                      Francis

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have some Audax drivers that have the small terminal as positive
                        A mains
                        The Ventures
                        Open Invit8tions
                        RSR
                        Sound Troopers
                        Acorns
                        442
                        DGBG's
                        The Monuments

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
                          I have some Audax drivers that have the small terminal as positive
                          Well... they are French after all!
                          Craig

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Well, I connected + to the large terminal 'cuz that's the way Scott designed 'em.....and they sound terrific that way!

                            Nice work Scott!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Some drivers use large terminal on both sides usually when the terminals are on opposite sides.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X