Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Overnight Sensation for 5.1.2?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight Sensation for 5.1.2?

I have a larger room, 14x25 that I will be setting up as a theater/media room. I am wondering if the overnight sensations would be enough for a room of this size?

I would build the floor variations TMM for the left and right, the center channel for the center of course, and the bipole surrounds.

I plan on implementing Dolby Atmos but I would probably just buy some in ceiling speakers for this purpose, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Based on the information above does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks for the help in advance!

I have an OS 5.1 system in my living room.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...turing-os-tmms

It's a great sounding system, small footprint and very high WAF; but for a large dedicated HT I think I would go a different direction. Namely, I would search out one of Erich's kits that are specific for HT like the Volts for example.
    Carbon13

Comment

I don't think they would work well. A receiver will have to work pretty hard to power those in that room and that is if the speakers themselves handle it well.
      Are there budget or size constraints?
      I would go for something a little bigger with more sensitivity

Comment

I have a 14' x 20' living room. I dumped my big multiple 7" woofer towers and hundreds of watts of power. I have S2000 TMs and a MTM in front and a BFM horn sub. I'm building two more S2000 MTMs because it looks so small now, not that I need more. And I want my TMs back in my PC 2.1. It really depends what kind of programming you want and how loud you want it. The OS family is very flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
          I don't think they would work well. A receiver will have to work pretty hard to power those in that room and that is if the speakers themselves handle it well.
          Are there budget or size constraints?
          I would go for something a little bigger with more sensitivity
          I have mine running off an Emotiva UPA-700 rated at 80 watts into eight ohms and 100 watts into four ohms, all channels driven. The room is fairly large and I haven't really had any concerns driving them. I agree with djg that they are quite flexible and serve multiple duties for music, tele and home theatre.

I suggested the Volts as something I would get for a dedicated home theatre. I think they would be a bit more tailored to dialogue and the low end "oomph" you would want in HT speakers.
          Carbon13

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon13 View Post

I have mine running off an Emotiva UPA-700 rated at 80 watts into eight ohms and 100 watts into four ohms, all channels driven. The room is fairly large and I haven't really had any concerns driving them. I agree with djg that they are quite flexible and serve multiple duties for music, tele and home theatre.

I suggested the Volts as something I would get for a dedicated home theatre. I think they would be a bit more tailored to dialogue and the low end "oomph" you would want in HT speakers.
            I don't doubt you but when I hear home theater I think LOUD! I don't doubt that for the average person they get pretty loud. That said the emo amp you are driving them with has a bit more power than the average AVR.

Comment

Just thinking since they are so cheap to build why not just build one pair and see if they work for you? You can always get more if you like them.

Comment

First Thanks for your responses. I would indeed like this room to be very loud.

To answer Killa's questions I don't have any space constraints for the LCR as they will be behind a Acoustic Transparent screen. As long as the surrounds are off the floor I have the freedom to do as I please.

Budget is somewhat of a concern, I would like to keep everything speaker related in the $500-$1000 range not including sub woofers as I have two DIY subwoofers using Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 18" with rackmount amplifiers.

Does anyone have any experience with the Volt's. They look like an attractive option and I am trying to determine which configuration to get. The kit indicates that they could be used for LCR but I am wondering if they would be better left to Atmos/surround duties?

Thanks again for the responses.

Comment

HTMs and Titans from the same source as the volts. The HTMs would be my choice for loud, several sizes. 3 HTM 10s would fit budget.

I see Erich has put Curt Campbells Cobalt MTM and TM speakers in the HT section. Cheaper, top designer high efficiency. Scan Speak dome tweeter if you don't like horns.

Well known forum member Mountainman Bob is building a pair of Cinema 10s, you have to look for those on that site. Two Eminence woofers and a horn, MTM.

Comment

+1 on djg's suggestions. But I would also strongly suggest contacting Erich directly and let him know what you are looking for. He's probably heard them all and would be the best to advise you.
                    Carbon13

Comment

He has a contact form, he has always answered me in a day or so.

Comment

Thanks again for your responses. I have reached out to Erich via his contact form and I will await his response. I will try and report back what he thinks in case anyone cares to know.

Comment

Erich was able to respond. Here is what his thoughts were, in case you were curious.

For behind screen use I would normally recommend the HTM's or the new
                          HT's that are cheaper. Sound quality will be very close between the two
                          lines. The HTM's are more expensive because they use more expensive
                          woofers.

My recommendation on a budget would be HT-10's or 12's for the front,
                          and Volt-6 or Volt-8 for surrounds/Atmos. Basically pick the biggest
                          ones of those that will stay within budget.

Keep in mind these speakers are very clean sounding at low volumes but
                          can play very loud when needed, so if you do listen fairly loud at
                          times, you need some powerful subwoofers to keep up. 10" or 12"
                          subwoofers will not be able to keep up in a room your size. So plan on
                          something bigger for those.

Comment

Just to make decision harder ...

There's Paul Carmody's Swope HT design Here. A step up from the OSs.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                              I have a 14' x 20' living room. I dumped my big multiple 7" woofer towers and hundreds of watts of power. I have S2000 TMs and a MTM in front and a BFM horn sub. I'm building two more S2000 MTMs because it looks so small now, not that I need more. And I want my TMs back in my PC 2.1. It really depends what kind of programming you want and how loud you want it. The OS family is very flexible.
                              We think alike

I use S2000 MTMs for my front. L C R

perfect for my needs

Comment

Working...
                              X