No announcement yet.

Crossover components choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a few 80uf+ npe for test purposes, but poly's aren't that expensive to not have a stockpile, you can get a 100uf poly for $26, come on some people spend more than that a week on coffee.

Comment

TRV has a point about using a better tweeter, but implementation is everything, and I have heard lesser tweeters sound better than more expensive ones.

Comment

Drivers, like capacitors (and all things really) have a diminishing returns scale. Spend a little more for a lot more performance. Spend a lot more from there for marginal gains in performance.

What I find is that most people are unwilling to believe just how low that scale starts with speakers.

Comment

"but implementation is everything", Truth, but you can screw up anything. The lessor driver is still going to be the lessor driver even with the best possible implementation. Ironic, some of the "better" drivers are very hard to use and take a lot of crossover work. I think where we would agree is a lessor driver used well will be better than the expensive one not used well.

Comment

Originally posted by tvrgeek View Post

Rather optimistic. Store a box of those new caps on the top rack of the warehouse in the summer, and they may be crap from day one. Where in a power supply, constant current, the restive heating may dry out one quicker than when used in a crossover, but the old 7 year bathtub curve is not a bad guideline for either case.
            The nice thing about the article that I linked, is that it originates with a genuine manufacturer of capacitors. Authenticity.

Comment

Yea, but 10 years doing failure analysis also teaches you something. Notice polystyrene caps have all but dissipated. Guess what? They could actually melt in the warehouse or in a truck. Silver Mica are gone as we finally have film and ceramic almost as good. But someone who slept through the class will still use a Z5U as an integrator in a 3V circuit.

Expensive is relevant. Folgers. 2 cups in the morning. Retired on a fixed income. $26 for a cap is a lot of money until I know it it is final. Got to have change left over for a Highland Black Moca Stout.

Comment

'styrenes are still a lot of places, both in Styroflex style and others. AgMica are still around too, especially in Russia NOS, and smaller values are lots of places too.
                What is NOT around so much is MKC polycarbonate, which is a stable and good sounding film cap. The film is just no longer manufactured.

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Yea, but 10 years doing failure analysis also teaches you something. Notice polystyrene caps have all but dissipated. Guess what? They could actually melt in the warehouse or in a truck. Silver Mica are gone as we finally have film and ceramic almost as good. But someone who slept through the class will still use a Z5U as an integrator in a 3V circuit.

Expensive is relevant. Folgers. 2 cups in the morning. Retired on a fixed income. $26 for a cap is a lot of money until I know it it is final. Got to have change left over for a Highland Black Moca Stout.
                  I drink Folgers too, but not all the time. I like to change it up every now and then, currently I'm drinking some Cultured (Fermented) coffee. Quite different from the usual and a bit pricey.

Comment

• djg
                    djg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Civit brew for me.

I thought MKC was still around. Good caps. Bummer. Russia NOS? Yea, and they still use tubes. Actually, for HF work, the leads are a bigger problem so SMT ceramics can now do better. I learned a lot back when we were building pirate HBO antennas. 2.6 gig turned out to be rather touchy. Nothing by today's standards though. Did a quick search on Stryoflex. Seem to be mostly NOS there too.

Hate this COVID thing. I would love to sit around and down a few pints with many of this forum's members.

Comment

Hate this COVID thing. I would love to sit around and down a few pints with many of this forum's members.
                    What, you can't drink and ZOOM at the same time? Not quite sure about that pint thing because the majority of beer here in the U.S. comes in 12 ounce bottles. I enjoy American and imported Lagers. Oh, I certainly hope ypou don't use ceramic caps in audio circuits.

Comment

No, just had a lot of experience with caps and their failure modes when I was in industry. Actually, nothing wrong with them as PS bypass caps so long as you don't let them fail with the metal/low voltage/humidity micro-short migration problem. That was a real bear to find. Raytheon at NASA finally cracked it. Was driving us crazy. JSA got close as they found the humidity part. Makes me wonder. 5V was low enough back then. With the modern circuits below 3, I wonder how they solved it? That was 30 years ago.

Highland brewery in Asheville NC. Been happy with all their products. Gaelic Ale as my day to day, Their Black Moca Porter is almost as good as Anchor Porter. Not big on IPA, but Foothills Hoppium is about as nice as I have had. About another 120 or so breweries in NC to work my way through. Still searching for something as nice as DuClaw Missfit Red. Perfect burger brew. Kind of still slumming it with Blue Moon for a hot after noon after mowing the lawn.

I see no reason to buy imported beers. One can make excellent beer anywhere. Besides, I have never found an import on the top of the list. Some are OK and I have a list so when we are out (were out) I could find something drinkable. So many are Pilsners which I have no use for.

Don't do zoom. Don't even have a camera on any of my computers.

Comment

No, just had a lot of experience with caps and their failure modes when I was in industry. Actually, nothing wrong with them as PS bypass caps so long as you don't let them fail with the metal/low voltage/humidity micro-short migration problem. That was a real bear to find. Raytheon at NASA finally cracked it. Was driving us crazy. JSA got close as they found the humidity part. Makes me wonder. 5V was low enough back then. With the modern circuits below 3, I wonder how they solved it? That was 30 years ago.

Highland brewery in Asheville NC. Been happy with all their products. Gaelic Ale as my day to day, Their Black Moca Porter is almost as good as Anchor Porter. Not big on IPA, but Foothills Hoppium is about as nice as I have had. About another 120 or so breweries in NC to work my way through. Still searching for something as nice as DuClaw Missfit Red. Perfect burger brew. Kind of still slumming it with Blue Moon for a hot after noon after mowing the lawn.

I see no reason to buy imported beers. One can make excellent beer anywhere. Besides, I have never found an import on the top of the list. Some are OK and I have a list so when we are out (were out) I could find something drinkable. So many are Pilsners which I have no use for.

Don't do zoom. Don't even have a camera on any of my computers.
                        I thought the problem with electrolytic caps was that they dried out after some years if the gear was unpowered.
                        I thought that there was no problem (if they didn't leak or swell) if powered on regularly. But IDK for sure.

Not going to go near any Porters. Top of my stack is Yeti Imperial Stout, but like some Westbrook stouts. Lots of choices these days!

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Working...
                        X