No announcement yet.

Crossover components choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, nice job, they look fantastic! What did you do shoot the paint on with?

I actually just read this entire thread in one go, some interesting discussions for sure! My 2 cents on the high cost capacitors and other components is that everything has it's place in a theory of audio relativity sense. You have to take a the entire audio system into account, including the room, power, cables, and setup. My theory is that there is a maximum level of quality for 'X' component that you can hear the difference and appreciate within any given system. If you have a garden variety receiver, marginal room setup, generic interconnects, etc., you will most likely not be able to realize any improvements in moving from a $X.XX cap to a $XX.XX capacitor. However, if you have a high end system from power outlet through to your ear, everything well sorted and designed, you WILL be able to hear the more subtle gains that are completely missed in a lesser system. I don't say this to come across as snobby, but rather from a system balance standpoint. If you can't hear the difference it is probably because either is was not a good match for your system and the money would have been much better spent somewhere else in your system than on that super expensive capacitor. Like one poster said, if you are buying a $50 tweeter, don't spend $50 on the capacitor, get the $100 tweeter and a $10 cap instead of the $1 cap. If you have not even taken the time to dial your room in, you are wasting your money doing any upgrades. I have seen some really high end gear in extremely poorly set up rooms, no amount of additional money will improve it as the setup is masking all the capabilities of the system. Point is, just because you can't hear the difference in your system, does not mean somebody else can't hear it in their system. It just means it is not the right upgrade for your system in this room setup at this time. I scoffed at power cables and filtration for a loonggg time, finally had a really good system setup properly in a great room, did the cables and yes I could hear the difference. It is subtle, but profound, in a great system, but once I experienced it I realized how little would have to be 'off' in the system to mask the improvement.

Cheers, I enjoyed this thread!

JazzyG

Comment

Threadbare- make sure you have the top-cabinet at the front edge even with the bottom cabinet, or there will be a coloration by way of reflection off of that surface/ledge.

Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Very nice, love the feet.

Comment

JazzyG I used a very cheapo HPLV suction feed gun to apply automotive nitrocellulose primer and finish. Ford Diamond White. Left over from a repair to an old Transit van.

Wolf I usually just place them so that the cone centers of the mid and woofer are vertically inline and they sound fine. I will experiment with different placements to see if I can hear any difference.

djg I had the feet laying around and thought it might solve a problem. My listening area has no carpet, just rough concrete and the paint finish would get badly torn up when moving them around. These puppies are VERY heavy with the 28mm MDF construction.

Comment

It is the baffles that need to be inline, not the drivers...

Comment

Not exactly sure what Bugs is saying? Have you never heard of "time-aligning" voice coils?

Comment

Have you ever heard of diffraction?
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Threadbare View Post
                  Finally found the camera.
                  I deviated from Paul's design because I didn't like the angled boxes. I kept to the designed internal volumes but used 28mm MDF throughout and put large radius corners on the vertical corners.Click image for larger version

Name:	Tarkus pair.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	816.5 KB
ID:	1456724
                  They look great!
                  See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

"Have you never heard of "time-aligning" voice coils?"
                    Yes...and this would be accounted for in the crossover. The way the speakers are stacked in the picture would cause me concern about diffraction as Wolf stated.

Comment

I kinda see both camps. Some judicious rounding or even just a 45 on the woofer box upper edge would be a good idea.
                      Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
                        I kinda see both camps. Some judicious rounding or even just a 45 on the woofer box upper edge would be a good idea.
                        Absolutely. If you don't believe the refraction problem, build two boxes. One sharp, one with all 12 sides 3/4 round over. The difference dramatic. Yes I said all 12. I was quite surprised on the back edges actually effecting the sound.

Comment

Not the same.

Your XO sim will do phase alignment (meaning all the peaks and troughs at your 2kHz Fc (for example) will line up, avoiding a cancellation "null". But if you had a hi-freq. horn (5k Fc, and a depth of 6") crossing to a shallow mid (wavelength about 2.7") you could have a physical delay of a few cycles (even though the phase could be aligned in the XO by the reactive components).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                            Not the same.

Your XO sim will do phase alignment (meaning all the peaks and troughs at your 2kHz Fc (for example) will line up, avoiding a cancellation "null". But if you had a hi-freq. horn (5k Fc, and a depth of 6") crossing to a shallow mid (wavelength about 2.7") you could have a physical delay of a few cycles (even though the phase could be aligned in the XO by the reactive components).
                            Yes, that's very true, and audible. Another reason I use DSP delay.
                            Francis

Comment

Working...
                            X