Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Trying to decide between the two: DA270 or DSA270

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to decide between the two: DA270 or DSA270

Requirement - to replace the blown INF10 driver from my Enigma subwoofer.

Primary design requirement is the replacement driver does not suffer from the coil former slamming into the backplate at higher playback levels (a flaw that the INF10 had that eventually did it in). Unfortunately this is not a specification that's usually listed for drivers :-).

While the Xmax of the DA270 and DSA270 is lower than that of the INF10, I'm hoping that they act a bit more gracefully when overloaded.

Anyone have any experience with these drivers that they'd like to share?

Right now I'm leaning towards the DA270. Rated power is lower, but Xmax is slightly more, and it's cheaper.
    Brian Steele
    www.diysubwoofers.org

No experience with those, but you may want to think about adding a high pass filter to keep the next driver alive.
    Francis

Comment

The DSA lacks a bumped back plate, I believe. Better than the DA otherwise.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

The INF10 failure was more due to a flaw in its design. The voice coil former would slap into the back plate even at moderate levels. I think that was due to a linear spider and a suspension that allowed the voice coil former to travel that far. I'm hoping that the DA270 or DSA270 do not suffer from similar issues. Peak excursion for this design actually occurs at the lower end of the passband, not at lower frequencies, so a high-pass filter will not help much.
        Brian Steele
        www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

I know the old DA175 could move a lot and the suspension would get tight before it bottomed out. Pretty sure the DA270 has a similar motor.

Comment

Thanks for that feedback. Looks like I might go with the DA270 then. Note - it does have slightly more Xmax than the DA175, and the voice coil is a bit larger as well, so I don't think it's the same motor. However, if the suspension of the DA175 is designed to prevent the former from slamming into the back plate, there's a good chance that the DA270's suspension is designed the same way.

This will be the first metal-coned driver I'm going to be working with, btw.
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

The cone rings about 4K, but the lowpass filter should be way down by then.
              Francis

Comment

Thanks. I'm more concerned about how that metal cone is going to stand up to the pressure of being in a 4th order BP box with an Fb around 58~62 Hz....
                Brian Steele
                www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
                  Thanks. I'm more concerned about how that metal cone is going to stand up to the pressure of being in a 4th order BP box with an Fb around 58~62 Hz....
                  The two drivers have fairly different box requirements for sealed and ported. I no nothing about band pass enclosures. But I would think that modelling them in the existing enclosure would be warranted to insure best operation of the overall system. Especially since your current choices have significantly different specs than the INF10.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the cone. I don't think it will be fragile if it is anything like the da175 cone.

Comment

To me, they look like (from an FR POV, as well as power handling, and FR) they'd perform nearly identically (based on their very similar T/S parms) in identical BP boxes. Why the highish Fb (F3 near 40Hz, I guess?)?

Comment

Working...
                      X