Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

line trasmission woofer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• line trasmission woofer

Hi everyone.
    can you recommend me some woofers for transmission line with the best quality / price ratio?

What's your budget? Are you wanting a woofer for a 2-way or 3-way or a subwoofer? What size are you thinking about? How do you plan on designing the TL?
    Paul

Comment

I sure hope this isn't another spammer.
      Francis

Comment

I am very tempted for a 3 way.
        Badget about 200 euros for each driver, 400 euros the couple.
        by size do you mean inches? frequency range? thing ?.
        which TL I have not yet decided.
        Do you recommend a good, easy and intuitive software possibly with a user manual?

Comment

By size I meant the diameter of the woofer, like 10 inch or 8 inch or 7 inch, etc. I design TLs with Martin King's software but it's no longer available. There was the Leonard Audio (LA) software, but it was never fully completed and I don't know how you'd get a copy. Some people use HornResponse and I assume that's available but it may not be quite as thorough as King's or LA's software. I would recommend you choose a driver with a Qts in the range of 0.35 to 0.50 and an fs that's in the neighborhood of your desired f3.
          Paul

Comment

with a 12 "is the cabinet too large?

Comment

A 12" woofer will require a cabinet internal width of at least 12" or wider, and the overall volume of the cabinet will depend on the woofer's Vas, how low you want it to play, and how long the line would need to be. A tapered line will be shorter than a non-tapered line but both will require about the same line volume for the same f3. A mass-loaded line tuned to the same frequency will have about the same length as a 10:1 tapered line but will not need quite as much volume for the same f3.
              Paul

Comment

I don't know what drivers you have readily available access, but I did a little digging and found an appropriate 12" woofer (not subwoofer) in the SB Acoustics SB34NRX75-6 at $171 U.S. (~$153 Euro). I modeled a tapered TL for it and have attached a PDF that describes the line and shows its predicted performance graph.
                Paul
                SB34NRX75.pdf

Comment

Is this Click image for larger version

Name:	12in TLbox.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	1411977

Is this an accurate sketch of your model? If so I may be looking for a design for a LAB12 subwoofer!

Comment

Yep, except the woofer's center is located 16" from the big end (14" x 20"), which is the closed end, and the little end (0.75" x 14") is the open end (the line's terminus). Since I assume no one would want a cabinet that's almost 7 feet tall, the line would need to be folded once. With the line folded once, it would probably be better to decrease the terminus' aspect ratio by making it have dimensions of 10.5" x 1", which is the same area as if it were 14" x 0.75". I've attached a drawing of a similar tapered TL I did for someone else; its dimensions are different than what I modeled here,however, but I'm confident you can get the gist.
                    Paul
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	TTL-1 for Rohan.jpg Views:	1 Size:	618.4 KB ID:	1411984

Originally posted by mikec View Post

Is this Click image for larger version  Name:	12in TLbox.jpg Views:	1 Size:	177.9 KB ID:	1411977

Is this an accurate sketch of your model? If so I may be looking for a design for a LAB12 subwoofer!

Comment

This better? (Interior volume only, sides not shown)

Click image for larger version

Name:	12in TLbox.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	1411989

Comment

You got it!
                        Paul

[QUOTE=mikec;n1411988]This better? (Interior volume only, sides not shown)

Comment

Working...
                        X