Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've looked and read finished projects 'til my eyes are crossing

and can't find what I'm looking for.

After 20 years of hoping and dreaming I'm moving into a new woodworking/welding shop. 32' x 48' with a 9' ceiling and OSB covered walls. All mine! Yes, nice!

Problem: I pulled my Kenwood KX 999 speakers (claim to be 4-ways) off the wall of the garage and found they didn't sound as good as they used to. Two reasons: my ears are older and the mids and two of the tweeters are not working. I may have found a tech with replacement parts but who knows with speakers that age.

Question: Is there an existing design of a similar speaker using current manufacture drivers? I have a fairly new HK 3480 to drive them. Not looking for "listening pleasure" sound but I do want good clean sound that will entertain me when I'm not making other noise/wearing earmuffs. Music source will probably be some kind of digital device since I get no radio signal in my location. (I've got a pair of Tanzenites for when I'm wanting to just sit and listen to great music.)

Related question: Where to place my speakers? Currently I have two small speakers sitting together on a table at one end while I get things arranged. OK for now when everything is on that end, but what about when things get spread out. Where to put them: high on side walls, facing each other; hanging from rafters, downfiring; high on end walls?

So what's a good design for a reasonable cost?

You mean kl 999 not kx? How much do you want to spend and how much work do you want to do? These would sound better and don't cost a fortune to build https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/tarkus

Comment

I'd look for a 5 inch or 6 inch MTM and mount them on the walls near the ceiling. Maybe a 3-way with a 10 inch woofer. I'd also consider 4 speakers mounted on the long walls.
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

As this is a workshop with some pretty heavy duty work going on, you need to place the speakers where they won't be subject to damage, so I second the suggestion for wall mounting. However, depending on the system you use such as shelf or brackets, you might need to select speakers with a moderate instead of full BSC, otherwise they might sound too bass heavy.

I'm not familiar with the Kenwoods but there are many TMM, MTM or three way designs which could work for you, including Tarkus, although they would be difficult to wall mount due to their size and weight. The options will depend on your budget, too.

With that space, I'd want to mount the speakers on the shorter wall, if that fits in with your equipment layout etc. Our living/listening room is a similar size but with 11' ceilings (I think) and our 6" MTMs have more than sufficient undistorted sound for that volume.

Geoff

Comment

Honestly I think I would look more towards Craigslist for some decent Cerwin Vega or something similar.

What you can find used, can often be huge bargains compared to even anything you could make on your own.
          Ive seen "BIG" speakers that could easily fill that huge space, going for under $200.00 often.

Just an idea, DIY is great in some apps, but the used speaker market is very tempting at times!

Comment

If the tweeters are not working on those speakers, I think it could be either of two things - bad connection at the level adjustment in the front of the speaker, or the drivers are blown due to being played too loud. If the latter, it may be best to go with a good pair of active pro-audio speakers (for higher SPL capability) or a more sensitive DIY design (diysoundgroup's Alchemy Fusion 8 comes to mind, though you might need a good subwoofer to keep up with them).
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Pete Schumacher's Apollo MTM would be pretty incredible - depends on your budget. For $100 you could do a set of C-notes, and sky's the limit from there.

Comment

I don't think you're really going to find anything that's a "similar" design using modern drivers. The Kenwoods kl999dx were a 5 way with a fairly simplistic crossover for what they were trying to do, but had great sensitivity. For a shop that big, I'm jealous mine's only 30x30, I'd look for some used pro sound speakers or maybe look at the VOLT10 from diysound group. They even offer a angled flat pack for wall mounting.

Comment

Have to agree with devnull, you won't find much out there, at least not outside the White Van category.
                  Francis

Comment

OK, big Kenwoods will be parted out. Too many dead drivers and finding replacements could be a hassel and then I'd be wondering "What will die next???"

Thanks for the suggestions -- they are being considered but I may want something different. I'll start a new thread.

Comment

Originally posted by kevintomb View Post
                      Honestly I think I would look more towards Craigslist for some decent Cerwin Vega or something similar.

What you can find used, can often be huge bargains compared to even anything you could make on your own.
                      Ive seen "BIG" speakers that could easily fill that huge space, going for under $200.00 often.

Just an idea, DIY is great in some apps, but the used speaker market is very tempting at times!

+1. A little patience on Craigslist might produce great results. But, as a rule, foam degrades over time. I would avoid any older design using foam surround woofer's, even if they're intact now, unless you're comfortable tackling a surround replacement kit. Perhaps some members can point to exceptions.

Also, think about your listening needs. Do you want good sound with moderate SPL from speakers close by while doing "quiet work"? Or, do you envision rocking the whole shop while the table saw and dust vac are running?

Devnull's pro-sound suggestion would play to the latter. And if you want to use that shop to build an existing design in that area try the Rally Sports by Javad S. IIRC, Javad designed the Rally Sports specifically for higher volumes at events rather than a "living room".

Comment

Consider leveraging the EconoWave engineering. For the lowest cost look over the EconoWave build threads with $75 12" Dayton woofer DS315P + $34 Selenium D220Ti-OMF-8 1" compression driver + $13 Dayton SEOS12 for with BillWaslo crossover. ====== For higher efficiency and better sound, look over the $135 Eminence 12" woofer DeltaLite 2512_II + (You could also use the $75 Dayton DS315P with below B-52 waveguide.) $63 Peerless DFM-2544R00-08 compression driver + $13 B-52 PHRN-1014 1" Horn 10" x 14" Bolt-On waveguide. +A modest parts count crossover helps total cost.

Comment

Econowave is the correct answer if you decide to roll your own.

Comment

Working...
                          X