Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Somewhat OT: Photobucket is at it again...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somewhat OT: Photobucket is at it again...

As of June 1st, if the user's bandwidth exceeds 25MB/month, the free-hosted accounts will have banners across the images as well as being blued-out. The fee to eliminate this will be $75/year.

As a warning, if anyone wants something from my photobucket pages, I would recommend retrieving it before then. I will not be paying that kind of a fee for photo hosting. My previous build threads and such will again become unusable for information. I will make an effort to retrieve all of my photos before then and make sure I have them in my possession.

Thanks,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

That's just plain greedy. Their annual fee is approaching what it costs to host a complete web site, not just pictures.
    Bill Schneider
    -+-+-+-+-
    www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

During the first Photobucket fiasco, I ended up grabbing all my photos, re-uploading them to a pay site (Smugmug), and re-linking a bunch active threads (I have more extensive and ongoing projects in car forums.) For me, paying the fee is worth the assurance that certain threads are up and viewable.

Paying a fee sucks, but these services incur costs to run. Photobucket's extortion plan, after offering free hosting, is inexcusable though. You probably have many more postings than me, but it might be worthwhile to re-link the good ones using a more reliable host.

Comment

I've considered it, but don't know what direction I'll be taking as yet. For now, they'll come down.
        Wolf
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I never used Photobucket, so I'm not sure what the major pain point was here. Was it just easier for you to use photobucket rather than post images on the forum here? For what it's worth, I do enjoy Google Photos. I can set albums for sharing if I want to document a build that way.
          Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
          Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
          The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
          SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax
          The Defiants - InDIYana 2019 "Bare Minimum" Build

Comment

I haven't uploaded to 'bucket since the last go around, and have been using the forum's abilities. When I signed on to Photobucket, this forum didn't allow attached photos yet, PB was free, and I'm talking likely the old original BBS forum version here. That was about the only way to post photos in forums at that time. It's now just that I have a LOT of photos in my 'bucket.

Later,
            Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I've since downloaded all my photos, even though I'll never be able to go back into all my old forum posts from other forums. I remember on the mobile Photobucket app, it previously allowed the downloading of entire albums. I used it before they took notice, because now they don't let you download full albums through the typical computer web browser.

Comment

I think I had to open each one I wanted to keep individually, and save it (it's been a few years.) I only re-linked a few big ongoing threads. The process took an entire day. Going back and re-linking years of posts throughout multiple forums would be an impossible nightmare.

I'm surprised Photobucket is still operational at all. I guess they make enough money from their extortion plan to keep the lights on, and servers running.

Comment

Those geniuses could have had millions of paying users for $20 per year or something. I'd have anted up. Instead they ended up with a few professional photographers and a few billionaires at $400 per year. I, too, wonder why they are even still in business. I didn't have many photos there, so it only took an hour or so to retrieve them, and most of the forums I had images posted at are gone now anyway.

Photobucket was very easy to use, and as Wolf said, it was about the only way to post good images to forums back then. They could have started charging long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by chad1376 View Post
                    ...I'm surprised Photobucket is still operational at all. I guess they make enough money from their extortion plan to keep the lights on, and servers running.
                    That was my first thought. Let 'em upload, then hold the media ransom. To your first point, dire financial straights ( or greed) can make many resort to a "less moral" survival.

Comment

Originally posted by williamrschneider View Post
                      That's just plain greedy. Their annual fee is approaching what it costs to host a complete web site, not just pictures.
                      More, my Digital Ocean droplet with 25GB of storage costs me $5 a month, hosts Lou's old site (below)

Edit: Well, I used to have Lou's site in my sig, guess PE nuked those
                      Copy of Lou C's speaker pages: http://www.rob-elder.com/LouC/speakers.html

Comment

Still would like to see a vBulletin plugin that would rip through threads looking for Photobucket links, and import the photos for local hosting.

Plenty of time for someone to write one and get it going b4 this happens again.

Comment

Originally posted by relder View Post
                          Edit: Well, I used to have Lou's site in my sig, guess PE nuked those
                          The link is still there in your signature, but I know there are some settings somewhere that makes the signatures not visible. So maybe you don't see it, but I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Liberator of Magic Smoke View Post
                            Those geniuses could have had millions of paying users for $20 per year or something. I'd have anted up......
                            Just a few months before the fiasco, their pop-up ads started getting worse. I thought to myself "I use Photobucket a lot, I might as well pay for this service and get rid of these ads." I signed up (I think it was $15 or $25 / year - can't remember) I would have been happy to keep paying, had they not screwed me and the entire internet world.

Comment

Yeah, I used to use Photobucket for everything I posted here picture wise. It really was the best and nearly only way to include pics in a forum thread at the time.
                              I have not nearly as many pics as Wolf or others, but I did have hundreds and hundreds of pics of speaker-related stuff on there.

A few months ago they announced that they would still allow the links and pics even if you didn't pay, but it would have a 'hosted by Photobucket' banner on top of the pic in the lower portion if I recall. I guess that didn't create enough business for them, now they are trying to pull this stuff. It's a shame, but I guess all our older stuff is just going to fade away into the ether. I've finally gotten used to PE's forum and it's pic hosting abilities and I'm sticking with it I guess. I would have gladly paid $20 or so a year back then, I know stuff isn't free, but now I'm just disgusted with how they've handled things... and it keeps changing... Oh well.

TomZ
                              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Working...
                              X