Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

NY DIY informal get together. May 11th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY DIY informal get together. May 11th

Hi all.
    Not planing anything big.. Perhaps pizza and a few beers. Kenny is bringing a new set of speakers to play.
    I'll be glad if you can make it.
    Roman.
    http://www.diy-ny.com/

Yes, coffee!
    Sure Tom, bring whatever you like.

Comment

What part of NY?

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
        What part of NY?
        Brooklyn Navy Yard
        11205 zip

Comment

Hey buddy - long time no see!
          I'm free and will be there.

What have you all been up to?

Nothing original DIY over here. Mostly just laying back and listening (upgraded my turntable and DAC).
          But I did start refurbishing some vintage tube guitar amps (gotta love that hi-voltage

Let me know if there's anything I can bring.

Jeff
          BEER: Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I've measured many things I cannot hear; and heard things I cannot measure...

Comment

Guys, last call. It's happening tomorrow.

Comment

Just wanted to make mention of how good a time I had at NY DIY yesterday and post a few pics of the front ‘soundstage’ area. Thanks a lot Roman and everyone else who pitched in with equipment and food/snacks for the day. I got there around 11:30 or so and left around 6:30, and the day just flew by and I wasn’t hungry all day as there was stuff to munch on as we went.

For those of you who haven’t been, it’s a very relaxed event. Lots of time for talking and catching up – some about speakers and related – and some not… all good stuff and extremely interesting. Even though I had to drive in NY traffic, I still got home relaxed… it was just what I needed actually.
              I’m still surprised when I get there how comfortable a working woodshop can feel for an event like this. It’s just right in my thinking. Roman is a great host, and he made some really, really good coffee once again too.

I guess there were maybe 10 or 11 speakers that we listened to? The initial spark for this was to give Kenny K’s new medium sized tower speaker design a listen. It’s a work in progress and he wanted feedback on their performance. He actually hadn’t finalized anything yet or even done any serious ‘voicing’ to speak of, so he was brave to ask for input. Since he went first, a few suggestions were made on the one female vocal track, but as we found out afterwards, the singer was over-mic’d on that one, and every speaker had at least a bit of trouble with that track to some degree. These informal sessions are good for this type of thing; you can get an instant idea song-by-song on what worked and what we can maybe tweak a little. Kennys speakers sounded to me like they were mostly there.

I can’t really comment on every speaker, I don’t have a good vocabulary for describing what I hear, but a few that I can put words to… The gentleman who had the original Dayton RS silk tweeter and a higher-end woofer I can’t recall in a Dayton Audio enclosure … sorry I forgot your name already, I’m bad for that. (They’re in the one of the pics on the stand) They sounded real good and had I think maybe the widest soundstage of the bunch, the sound extended maybe 4-5 feet on either side. Nice balanced sound too. I got a kick out of Romans Sony buyout array U-Frame speakers. I have some of those drivers just sitting in a box, now I know they’re worthy of doing something with! They were a really decent sounding speaker… excellent considering the total cost.

It was also a bit surreal hearing Romans large array’d three-way monster setup with the dual 18” pro-audio woofers. Having an upright bass jiggle your insides is a unique experience. Roman didn’t crank those like he could have though – we were at the end of the day when he played them and our ears were probably tired – but it seemed like they had so much more to give output wise. I think he mentioned the ability to achieve over 110 dB over almost the entire frequency range with his now-passively crossed setup. I’m glad he took it easy on us!

Part of the reason I don’t want to comment on each speakers is this: The gentleman (sorry, I’m REALLY bad with names) who had built a set of Jeff Bagby’s speakers with the slanted fronts… First we listened to them with the baffle straight facing the listeners, then we listened to them laid flat so the baffle was slanted as designed…. And you know, I THINK I preferred the slanted front performance, but they were really good both ways… and I know an Omnimic FR graph would have something to say about that… but I just say this to say that I don’t have golden ears at all and can’t probably do any of these speakers justice if I tried to describe their sound to anyone else.

Anyway, here are a few pics, one of Kenny K’s mid-size towers, one of those Dayton cabinet speaks, and another of a few of the guys and I think Roman hitting warp speed in front.

Click image for larger version  Name:	NYDIY Dayton Cabinet Speaks.jpg Views:	1 Size:	417.7 KB ID:	1412824Click image for larger version  Name:	NYDIY people.jpg Views:	1 Size:	317.1 KB ID:	1412825Click image for larger version  Name:	NYDIY Kennys Speaks.jpg Views:	1 Size:	377.0 KB ID:	1412826

Thanks again everyone who went and participated; it was nice talking to you guys and I think everyone’s speakers really sounded good. I had a lot of fun and I hope to once again brave the NY traffic if/when there is another one!

TomZ

Last edited by tomzarbo; 05-12-2019, 10:21 AM.
              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Good to see you guys had a nice time. Thanks Tom, for the pics and impressions. I wish there was a low key, relaxed, noncritical event like this in Pa/Ohio area. I would like to meet some of you eventually.

Comment

Thanks Roman!

It was great to see everyone again after a couple of years. Very glad to see you're still rocking the Navy Yard.
                  Going through my archive of CD tracks, I just realized we did the first one in 2010!
                  And to think this one happened without months of planning and agony. What a concept!

Tom : too bad we couldn't get that good looking sub you built hooked up to mini's. They were quite sweet and articulate as is.
                  BTW - I was the guy with the JB Kairos dilemma (slanted vs straight up) . Next dilemma is whether to convert to them to the 3 way option

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jeff_free69 View Post
                    Thanks Roman!

It was great to see everyone again after a couple of years. Glad to see you're still rocking the Navy Yard. I just realized we did the first one in 2010!
                    And to think it happened without months of planning and agony. What a concept!

Tom : I was the guy with the JB Kairos slanted or straight up dilemma. Next dilemma is whether to convert to the 3 way option

Jeff
                    I knew it! I was 95% sure on your name, but my strikeout rate when I'm 95% sure is pretty poor believe it or not, so I usually just keep my mouth shut.

I guess your plan on installing the vent first to see if you like it is probably a sound one. If the lower low-end cutoff of the vented works in your room and you like it, then maybe the 3-way would scratch the itch.

They were sweet sounding speakers either with- or without the tilt.
                    I have probably 5 or 6 speakers in my house that others have designed as well.

TomZ
                    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Ha - I was just trying to edit my first post but now the system thinks its spam , so I can't even see it any more . but I see you got it quoted with the previous version ( WT...? )

Wanted to say it was too bad we couldn't get that nice looking sub you built hooked up with your mini's. They were very sweet and articulate as is, though.
                      Last edited by jeff_free69; 05-14-2019, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Great time .....great people. Nice turn out on short notice. Wonderful sounds, conversation, food and coffee.
                        Big thanks to Roman for being a super host.
                        Kenny

DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                        Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Working...
                        X