Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

CD player advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD player advice

Seems I need to replace my CD player.
    I've been looking at the Marantz 5005/6006, and the Denon DCD800NE.
    The Denon says it has a 32 Bit DAC, and 16X upsampling of the 44.1 data stream, and uses interpolative algorithms to correct errors in the data flow caused by the recording process.
    Is this just marketing hype, or is there really something to it? Anyone have any experience with this machine?

I have a Marantz 6005 that I really like. No experience with Denon. The Marantz 6000 line is supposedly a decent step up from the 5000.
    -Kerry

Comment

Get the Marantz. The SA series is the way to go, they will play any format.
      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
        Get the Marantz. The SA series is the way to go, they will play any format.
        How good, bad, or mediocre, is the Marantz 67SE? Also, is using a digital out a good option these days?

Comment

This is a great player for the money. They made a lot of really good improvements to this player over the plain 67. If you can get it for a good price, buy it and be happy.
          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

The 67SE appears to be more than 20 yrs old, available used.

Comment

Originally posted by skatz View Post
              The 67SE appears to be more than 20 yrs old, available used.
              I have one that has been on the shelf unused for about 12 years. I didn't know how good it might be by today's standards. I've been using dvd and blu-ray players instead.

Comment

I don't know either. One would presume that some progress was made, but who knows for certain? I suspect that somewhere in the bowels of my house I still have my first CD player, which was a 14 bit unit when CD's were brand new. Or else I'm thinking of my second one, which was a Magnavox unit sold by Frank VanAlstine and used as a transport only for his external "filter" box for,( which I'm assuming was a DAC), but tube based. That served me well for many years until the transport died. By then players were very common, and I got something else. I don't recall what though.

Steve

Comment

I'm certainly interested to watch this thread and see what choice you make skatz . I've wondered about buying a dedicated CD player, but I don't have a really expansive CD library either. I kinda feel like a network transport would be the more modern option for me... which I could just rip CDs to lossless format and stream over my home wifi. I currently use a low-end sony blu-ray player in one part of my house and a sony PS3 in the other as my CD players, so I have no real idea what kind of DACs are in there. Although as i type this, I'm sure the Marantz AVRs I use are actually doing the decoding once the signal arrives via HDMI. So many places for things to get messy in the audio chain! makes my head spin if I think about it too much.
                  Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
                  Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
                  The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
                  SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax
                  The Defiants - InDIYana 2019 "Bare Minimum" Build

Comment

You are correct about being able to use the player as a transport only. My integrated amp has a good DAC, so I could use a transport only. Problem is, I have only run across one of those as I explore (Cambridge audio, CXC I think). And it is in the same ballpark price-wise as the complete machine. Most of the votes seem to be for the Marantz, so that is what I am looking at. The 5005 and 6006 seem to differ in two ways. The 6 has a better headphone amp apparently, and USB input for certain types of sources. I have a large CD library (inherited most of my Dad's jazz and classical discs, several thousand in number), and I have never ripped these to a computer for a source. I know I am antique, but it works for me. I don't listen on headphones much either. On classical music which may last more than an hour, the phones become uncomfortable.

Comment

Before I pulled the pin on a music server / streamer, I was going to go for the Marantz 5005. I've had Denon's and had reliability issues. My Marantz receiver is 20 years old, was used daily and still going fine.

Comment

Marantz and Denon are now the same company whereas they weren't 20 years ago.
                        (Autocorrect made those Karnataka and Demon, 😃)

Later,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Yes, I am aware that they are under the same ownership, but not if they are Karnataka and Demon!

Comment

Anyone had experience with accessories4less, good or bad?

Comment

I have had good experiences.
                              I also bought something that I wasn't sure if it was working right and returned it with no problem. Afterwards, I was pretty convinced it was my user-error and nothing wrong with the product anyways. But they didn't ask any questions and just took it back with no hassles.

I know the Tech Talk search function isn't the greatest, but if you search for "accessories4less site:techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum" you'll find a decent number of results. I didn't check for how relevant they are, but did see a number of hits.

Comment

Working...
                              X