C-Cake Design and build log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-Cake Design and build log

I'm not one for build logs, but a number of people here contributed to this project so I thought I could pay them back by posting some progress. The project started last year when Ben and Tom? helped me find another set of AMT3-4s.

Some might recall I built the Vultus speaker a few years ago and I really liked the big AMT.

The big AMT needed some sparkle so added the ND20FB. The woofer is the Aluminum RS180.

The new C-Cake design was inspired by the Cirus White. Thanks Ryan and Pete. The only problem was how to add a tweeter to this design. I'll find that picture and post that next.
    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

What every speaker needs, a Mark and Daniel Omni Harmonizer. So add it all together this is the first design I came up with. It's based on using 12 inch and 8 inch round cylinders.
    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Looks great. Cant wait to see the finished product. How would it work to have 2 tweeters dome to dome rather than dome to cone?

Comment

Ken, we need a reflective surface to spread the sound horizontally. dlneubec and I discussed the reflector. My take away was that the overall diameter, similar to the size of the baffle determines the cut off wave length of the reflector. Using a curved cross section will help prevent reflections back to the surface/ top.

With those thoughts in mind I drew up this reflector. Note that the top exit angle is at 45 degrees. I wanted to avoid any reflections and resonance issue that I perceive the Mark and Daniel design has.
        John H

Comment

I think you are on the right track with this. You may have already factored this into your dimensions, but I think you would have the best result if the wavelengths generated by the tweeter, maybe to an octave lower than the crossover point, are not so long that they just ignore the reflector, go around it and head straight up. I think you will probably have the best result with the tip as close to the dome as possible, but when you prototype this you might want to make the reflector adjustable up and down, then you can take measurements to determine the optimal distance from the dome.

How are you planning to implement the AMT mid?
          Dan N.

Comment

I wish the AMT was a bit of a mid, but the best I think I can get is near 2K depending on the sensitivity of the woofer. The AMT is going to go in a small box with a big round over on top of the bigger box with a big round over. The idea is that the small box can move back and forth so I can time align the AMT and the woofer.

I've decided to try to make this for MWAF so the original design with round cylinders has changed to sqarish boxes with big round overs. The new design is a bit slimmer.
            John H

Comment

Sounds like a good plan. What I was actually wondering about when I mentioned implementation was whether it was going to be sealed, cardioid or open back. Sounds like you are going sealed.
              Dan N.

Comment

John, I would be willing to try to 3d print the diffuser. My printer is limited to about an 8 inch cube. If I can help let me know.

Comment

Ken thanks but as I mentioned there were a lot of people who helped me with this project. One of them was TN Allen who made me some deflectors. Once I get closer I'll take some pictures of Tim's work.

Dan, I'm saving my Omni ideas for 2020 Fort Wayne Indiana. Unfortunately it involves sourcing some affordable large spheres.

I've decided on the RS180P-4 woofer in 20 liters which should give me a F3 of about 40 Hz. The super tweeter is going to be the ND25FN. I've started cutting wood and should post some more pics.

Drawings look like this.

John H

Comment

If you want large spheres, how large? Meijer stocks 8" Styrofoam halves that are meant to be adhered together if that works for you.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

John,
                      Have you thought about placing your tweeter in a shallow waveguide with the diffuser above? I did a lot of experimenting with this omni tweeter concept. I even had a prototype speaker that I brought to an early InDIYana. I never finished it, but my recollection is that I obtained the smoothest response when the tweeter was also depressed into a waveguide. It might be more complicated than you want for this project, however.
                      Dan N.

Comment

Dan, are you talking about your Duevel clone? I don't think you ever brought those to InDIYana, but you did bring it to CKY-DIY. If you mean the older Waveguide Omni with the purple-heart finished conical waveguide, yes those were at one of the 2 Richmond events. I think you brought it back later just for a little more exposure.

Later,
                        Wolf
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I was talking about these:
                          Dan N.

Comment

Yep- the waveguide-Omni design.
                            Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Wow, I had never thought about that. Dan how did you make the big deflector cones?

Currently I need something from 10K up for the AMT. The deflector is sized to reflect from 4K up. I just finish the proof of concept for mounting the tweeter. I'm pretty much committed to the current path

John H

Comment

Working...
                              X