Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

C-Cake Design and build log

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John

I don't know how you intend to use the spheres, but it occurred to me that maybe you could use world globes for fabricating what you want. I also recall seeing, I think on YouTube, a method of laying papier mache over balloons to make spheres. Are these to be reflectors that need to be hard? There are also glass globes that are used as lamp diffusers that might help you.

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
      Wow, I had never thought about that. Dan how did you make the big deflector cones?

Currently I need something from 10K up for the AMT. The deflector is sized to reflect from 4K up. I just finish the proof of concept for mounting the tweeter. I'm pretty much committed to the current path
      Looks like you are cruising right along!

Yeah, those diffuser cones were something else. I laminated pieces of mdf and purple heart together into a stepped cone (don't ask me why). My son-in-law was able to mess with them with a CNC he had access to at IU in the art department, and get them down to maybe 1/4" stair steps. Then, iirc, I figured out a way to spin them on my drill press and sand them down the rest of the way. Then I had to carve out the inside of the diffuser cones to accept a 6" dia waveguide with neo tweeter at the throat. It was a royal pain and not something I would ever do again!
      Dan N.

Comment

I used to have a pair of Infinity speakers (back in about 1975) that had a walsh supertweeter on top that sent out a 360º spherical horizontal wave. It looked kinda like an ice cream cone. I think the supertweeter on those kicked in right around 10khz, so yours should have a similar effect.
        Dan N.

Comment

Cool build Jonny! Nice to see outta the box thinking/design. I look forward to seeing them at the show!
          A mains
          The Ventures
          Open Invit8tions
          RSR
          Sound Troopers
          Acorns
          DGBG's
          The Monuments

Comment

Eric, thanks your build was also motivation to get started.

Bottom box and box model. I've convinced myself that an internal offset port end will miss some of the resonance trash inside the speakers. There were more braces added than the few shown here.
            John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
              What every speaker needs, a Mark and Daniel Omni Harmonizer. So add it all together this is the first design I came up with. It's based on using 12 inch and 8 inch round cylinders.
              This is how Henry Wolcott did it, an omnidirectional horn (on the horizontal plane) using only a single dome tweeter. Initially the Dynaudio D28, later on the Morel MDT33.
              Sorry for the poor picture, but if you squint you should be able to see the tweeter dome. LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	Omni_sp_top.gif
Views:	1
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	1412766

Comment

Couldn't you use a dimple dome and set the apex right in the dimple? Or set the tip of an XT25 right on it? It's been said more than once that ring radiators suit waveguides better. Just suggesting out loud, not telling you what to do.

Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Ben, feel free to suggest away. I've got a pair of the OT19s as back up https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...-ohm--264-1122

The ring radiator/ center "post" tweeters worked well in my wave guide tests as the post acted like a phase plug preventing a bigger on axis dip. I've discounted that benefit when using a reflector, everything is off axis. I still need to do a bit of testing but I'm not to concerned as I don't need much FR for the super tweeter.

I'm looking forward to your post for InDIYana 2020. I've already pulled down about 10 omni patents for ideas.
                  John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I'm still mulling it over. Likely the week before Dayton as usual. Right now I'm in build mode.
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

A little more work. I got the top cabinets assembled. I used CA glue to reinforce the MDF for the super tweeter recess. Thanks to Mike C who CNCed my AMT3-4 recesses in small pieces of MDF. This saved me a ton of time compared to routeing and cutting down

Both the top cabinets and base cabinets were flattened with a combination of hand planes and sandpaper glued to MDF blocks. When I used my store bought sanding blocks and power sanders they tended to dish and roll over the edges, definitely not flat.

I'm working on the deflector and supper tweeter mounting next. I'll cut the woofer holes before I start the round over process. Probably not happening soon as this is going to be a long fishing weekend.
                      Last edited by jhollander; 05-14-2019, 07:16 PM. Reason: add super for clarity
                      John H

Comment

Working...
                      X