Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website note for our benevolent overlords

Greetings to our hosts.

I'd like to point-out that I've now run into at least a couple of different ad blocking methods, which block the user-reviews on the Parts Express website.

So you can see there are a number of stars, but the links to investigate further are missing, you can't read the reviews unless you disable the ad blocking scheme being used.

I suspect this is because the third-party outfit you're using to manage reviews, also does ad hosting and has been blocked by some of these ad blocking methods.

I wasn't sure if you were aware of this, and thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Are you sure that's the cause? Sometimes I reload the page and the reviews appear.
    Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      Are you sure that's the cause? Sometimes I reload the page and the reviews appear.
      Later,
      Wolf
      Pretty sure. Parts Express is using TurnTo to manage their product reviews, and some ad blockers are blocking the TurnTo DNS.

If you google:

"turnto" ad blocking

You can see that several different blocking methods include turnto.com & subdomains.

Comment

I have Adblock Plus, i can see the reviews no problem.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
          I have Adblock Plus, i can see the reviews no problem.
          Right, I didn't say all Ad Blockers.

Some do block all of TurnTo, however.

Another I came across recently was AdGuard DNS: https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

That one would effect every machine on a network, the others have been packages installed by end users.

First noticed this on an end-user PC. I do IT support for a living, and was remoted into someone's machine while we spoke on the phone. I wanted to show them an item on the PE page (we were on a tangent) and noticed the reviews were inaccessible until we disabled the ad blocker they had.

Just trying to point that out to the PE folks, in case they are unaware.

Again, if you google '"turnto" ad blocking' you can see the domain is mentioned fairly frequently.

Comment

Well I responded, Bill, but it says my post isn't approved.

Short-version: It doesn't happen w/ all blockers.

AdGuard DNS is another one I recently discovered, though.
            Last edited by philthien; 05-11-2019, 07:34 AM.

Comment

AdBlock Plus works for me. Often newspaper and news websites object to it. But it's always very clear what's going on. Some simply refuse their content, others ask you to turn it off but let you see the content. I haven't had any problem wit PE.

I can't imagine not having ad blocking.

Comment

Right again it doesn’t happen with all blockers. I’ve listed one fairly popular DNS service that blocks it though. I’ve seen others, too, but didn’t research them.

Just figured I would mention it because a fair percentage of new website visitors won’t order if they can’t read reviews or if the site doesn’t work as they’d expect. They will just go elsewhere.

Comment

Might there be a way to program the ad blocker with the PE sight on its "allowed" list

Comment

Mike, that would have been my next question. I used to have to allow PE because without the hyphen in the address bar it would see a blockable 3 letter word.
                    Later,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Sure but if someone doesn’t know the blocker is preventing the reviews from working properly they just might order elsewhere.

I’d use a parts-express subdomain that points to an IP address indicated by the 3rd party, and that should fix it for everyone.

So turnto.parts-express.com would resolve to likely the same IP as turnto.com does now.

Comment

Working...
                      X