X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andy19191
    replied
    Originally posted by Rory Buszka View Post
    I do like how the line arrays appear to curve around the tweeter, though I'm not sure what that achieves except slightly narrower horizontal dispersion in the crossover bands; I think it would be better to use two midrange drivers, one above and below each AMT, then have your line of low frequency drivers above and below that, because that will preserve wide horizontal dispersion. Eventually the radical designers figure out that there are practical reasons why things have been done a certain way for decades.
    The centre-to-centre distance from tweeter to upper midrange is too large to match the beamwidths. The upper mids to the side of the tweeter look to me like an attempt to help with this. How successful it is we lack the measurements to say. There was a paper I cannot find (anyone?) which discusses FIR filters to maintain a constant beamwidth with a symmetrical line array. If I recall correctly they were struggling with the dimensions of a dome tweeter never mind a ribbon.

Leave a comment:

• Rory Buszka
    replied
    Originally posted by fpitas View Post

Yeah. Nothing against line arrays, but it doesn't appear radical.
    I do like how the line arrays appear to curve around the tweeter, though I'm not sure what that achieves except slightly narrower horizontal dispersion in the crossover bands; I think it would be better to use two midrange drivers, one above and below each AMT, then have your line of low frequency drivers above and below that, because that will preserve wide horizontal dispersion. Eventually the radical designers figure out that there are practical reasons why things have been done a certain way for decades.

Leave a comment:

• noaudiophile
    replied
    I think the radical part is the lack of combing from the array. Which given the 4-way spec and other emphasis on 1/4 wavelength spacing in the specs He probably has this working more like a nested wmtmw with the goal of beaming vertically to match the beamy large Dayton AMT.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by AEIOU View Post
    Looks like a line array on a wide baffle, big deal.
    Yeah. Nothing against line arrays, but it doesn't appear radical.

Leave a comment:

• AEIOU
    replied
    Looks like a line array on a wide baffle, big deal.

Leave a comment:

• charlielaub
    replied
    Most "on wall" loudspeakers have very poor imaging and "sound-staging". I know, I own a pair of high-end commercial thin, on-wall speakers. I wold expect these to be about the same in that regard.

The rear wall reflections should not be eliminated, since they help to provide some of the ambiance no matter what the type of loudspeaker.

The sonic effects of cabinet edge diffraction, on the other hand, is a topic that has received lots of coverage but I have not seen any strong consensus except in cases when the driver is mounted equidistant from several edges, creating a very strong and deleterious diffraction effects.

Leave a comment:

• philthien
    replied
    Interesting but that on-wall aspect plus the size would limit the # of listening rooms where they'd work.

Leave a comment:

• andy19191
    replied
    Originally posted by marvin View Post
    The designer has designed in limited vertical dispersion while maintaining wide horizontal radiation. Some of you smarter engineers may understand what he is doing?

Currently, he doesn't seem ready to release the design for DIY use, but still a very interesting concept to me. What do you think?
    It seems to be a DIY project that is seeking to explore genuine improvements in sound quality. How well it achieves that is uncertain but I can see no reason to dismiss the claims that the sound quality is good. The hobby would be significantly richer with a few more projects like this.

The choice of a passive crossover is an odd and limiting one given what he appears to be trying to do. Tailoring the radiation pattern is a stated objective, and an excellent one if real sound quality is an interest, the absence of sound radiation plots is also a bit strange. It also prevents us from seeing how well a 4 way passive crossover could be made to work for this sort of thing. To maintain a constant bandwidth with frequency through a crossover one needs to vary the filter slope to follow the radiation pattern of the smaller and large drivers. This can be achieved with DSP FIR filters but not with analogue ones. How well could it be done with analogue ones? I hope the author publishes some more measurements so we can find out.

Definitely good and interesting stuff.

Leave a comment:

• noaudiophile
    replied
    Might be able to swap in a triple nipple tweeter array like tekton uses to cut down the number of drivers used. I like the idea, mirrors much of my own experience.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    I think I've seen that before. Maybe the Peerless dome woofers would be applicable here. It is a novel approach and likely does as intended.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• marvin
    started a topic Radical speaker design

Radical speaker design

I ran across this Radical speaker design recently on AVS forum. Dennis Murphy endorsed the design (see post #5) and says the thread deserves more attention than it is getting, so I'm attempting to oblige

I like that they are efficient, and though large, the shallow profile helps to compensate for that. As Dennis said, "it would make a killer home theater speaker as well as a truly superior speaker for dedicated music listening".

The designer has designed in limited vertical dispersion while maintaining wide horizontal radiation. Some of you smarter engineers may understand what he is doing?

Currently, he doesn't seem ready to release the design for DIY use, but still a very interesting concept to me. What do you think?

Marv
    I am posting information about a pair of speakers that I have designed and built by myself. I am doing this because there are innovative design
Working...
X