Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

4inch mid woofer option?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4inch mid woofer option?

Question for the masses... after seeing Tomz's summer winds and seeing the use of a.5.25 woofer at the base and my last failed attempt at a boombox, I would like to know if people have any input in relation to a 4"

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...8-ohm--295-416

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...-ohm--264-1065

They both aesthetically look similar, have a F3 of 55-60hz in a similar size enclosure and last but not least a couple of bucks different. I also still have a Peerless PR laying around, which I think is similar but agreeing with Chris would prefer to use the electrical conduit and make a port, also the enclosure modelling is a bit funky with the PR's for me.

I didn't like how my last adventure ended and considering a full gut job and recycling the ND65'S and what ever other components I have lying around and use a mid for the bass. Unsure if I would use the PE 2 1 HiFi amp and get one mid or use the DTA2 and attempt a cross over with the full ranges (nd65-4ohm), regardless I will be begging for some assistance if I go the later

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...eaker--295-424

this driver sounds pretty good and might be worth considering.

Comment

There was a small speaker at InDIYana in the themed contest that used the TCP115 and sounded good (I don't know if it was 4 or 8 ohms). Everyone in the room was shocked at the bass.

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
        There was a small speaker at InDIYana in the themed contest that used the TCP115 and sounded good (I don't know if it was 4 or 8 ohms). Everyone in the room was shocked at the bass.
        Agreed. The TCP115-4 is also used in the Dayton Audio MK402 which gets generally positive reviews.
        Dayton Audio MK402 4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair

Comment

Peerless SDS 4", I think 830955.
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Cheers for the input guys, out of curiosity i punch the data into WiniSD for the peerless 8ohm, DA TCP 4/8 ohm and purely out of curiosity the same in the TEBM65 as i know what it can do in the same size enclosure (being 0.17-0.18cuft).

not sure why a smaller full range appears to model better than a dedicated mid? even at a enc size of 0.125cuft (cheated with the bass box recommendation for the peerless on PE site) the graph barely goes over 0db, with the exception of the TEBM.

When referencing F3 is that just -3db on the chart, OR is it -3db from the peak (tuned value)?

I don't know if maybe i'm not using the software correctly when it comes to the mids or maybe i just found the sweet spot for me with the FR's.
            Attached Files

Comment

I asked in a recent thread about preferences for a small hump in that 50-100Hz range and got some good input. Post #8 referenced some observations by Jeff Baggy that were useful.

In general you would want a flat frequency response like the red line (Peerless) and then a smooth roll-off. But some people prefer some non-flatness, according to responses in the thread above. For the transfer function, F3 is at the -3db on the chart. For actual SPL, change your signal until the cone excursion hits xmax (or xmax + 10%), then change the graph to SPL. The F3 is still the point where it is -3db from flat, but now the decibel levels are showing you the loudness at xmax.

Comment

The drivers that are peaking at the end have the port tuning too high. The one with a hump has the box too small.

Comment

Originally posted by noaudiophile View Post
                  The drivers that are peaking at the end have the port tuning too high. The one with a hump has the box too small.
                  the end one being the TEBM's will spike no matter what size box in the model. for example i went up a few and the spike makes it look like a playground slide. I have actually made desktop speakers with a 0.18cuft box with them and they actually sound terrific, there could be a possible solution for this, maybe i did enter in the TS info correctly for that particular driver. the other possibility is i'm comparing 3 mid range in a 4 inch to a different style of driver in a BMR.

Comment

It might not actually be too small of a box as suggested, but using a driver in a vented box that likely ought to be run sealed. If the volume looks right, and the spectral shape is what you are looking for, try stuffing the snot out of it. The ripple will be minimized.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by 3rutu5 View Post

the end one being the TEBM's will spike no matter what size box in the model. for example i went up a few and the spike makes it look like a playground slide. I have actually made desktop speakers with a 0.18cuft box with them and they actually sound terrific, there could be a possible solution for this, maybe i did enter in the TS info correctly for that particular driver. the other possibility is i'm comparing 3 mid range in a 4 inch to a different style of driver in a BMR.
                      Looked at it and the BMR driver is wonky. Doesn't act like any woofer I've ever modeled. Best I can get it with WinISD is 0.19cuft box and 53Hz tuning. A 1.25 inch port that is 5 inches long would work. Even with that expect a 3dB hump at 100Hz, and extension to about 50Hz. Limit of about 8 watts before you hit xMax limits on the suspension, which puts the speaker around 90dB.

Polyfill stuffing is probably a good idea regardless with a ported box that small.

Comment

Working...
                      X