Room Treatments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Room Treatments

My bass is uneven, and I get a lot of echo when I clap. I figure it's time for some room treatments. Unfortunately the room is almost a 15' cube, with 9' ceiling around the edges and 10' in the middle. The gear is Fusion 8s across the front, Volt 6s in the rear, and an RS 18" front left.

​​I did some measuring and no major surprises. Corners are around 7 db louder than the MLP, it goes up to around 11 db louder where it meets the ceiling and floor. Naturally I'm thinking of starting with bass traps in the corners. There are some restrictions, rear speakers are in the back corners, there's a door in the front right corner.. and I have a wife. She's pretty tolerable, but I can't do anything too hideous looking.

I can provided some low light, grainy, cell phone pictures for reference.. once I figure out how to shrink them on my phone. I'm probably looking to spend no more than $500 to start, but I can add more treatments later.

rugs, blankets, tapestries, towels, simple frames filled with insulation and/or blankets or towels. Room treatment doesn't have to be expensive.
    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

A standing corner trap filled with insulation would be simple and very effective. Floating a few pannels from the ceiling can look good and do alot.

Comment

I agree with dcibel…...I use yoga mats at around 5 bucks each from Ross as they work almost as good as Auralex but at a fraction of the cost.

Comment

I was thinking something like the below, one in each corner. I'd have to move the rear speakers down to be underneath them.. I could go up to 4' ones, but they would have to be in the middle of the wall. What would be more beneficial, 2' at the top corner where it's worse, or 4' in the middle of the corner? I feel like I'd need a whole lot of yoga mats to make 6" bass traps..

The floor is carpet and I do have curtains.

https://www.acoustimac.com/cbts226/

Comment

Don't trap bass, let it run free. Add another sub or two in different locations in the room to combat the room modes.

https://www.google.com/search?client...+sub+room+mode
            "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
            exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

"and I have a wife. She's pretty tolerable, but I can't do anything too hideous looking."

Ha! You'd better review your English or you'll have one pissed off wife!
              Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

Freudian slip.

Comment

Add a 2nd subwoofer and move them to the middle of opposite walls. Make sure your MLP isn't in a null. Equalize out the peaks, don't try to bring up the nulls.

Here's a pretty good read about subwoofer(s) and room placement.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Be careful not to go to dead, consider diffusion too.

Comment

I am considering adding another sub in the future, I realize it's the best way to get flat low end response, but it will cost more money and wouldn't help with echo clap. It will also be harder to get approval from my tolerable, nearly hideous wife. It's not the direction I'm looking to go at the moment. I believe for optimal results I'll want room treatments and another sub, and for now am focusing on the treatments.

Comment

Through dumb luck I suppose, my one rear corner sub gives me good response at the mlp. My fairly tolerable GF tolerated huge HT speakers and mega wattage for years. As long as she didn't have to listen to it all. I have since repented. She is secretly happy.

Comment

Square rooms are tough to deal with. You will always get standing waves at certain frequencies . Two subs would be best but if you can't do that then put a hanging rug or some sort of sound absorbing material opposite the wall the sub is aiming at to prevent some bounce back .A rug is always good too .

Comment

Originally posted by AudioSQ View Post
                            My bass is uneven, and I get a lot of echo when I clap. I figure it's time for some room treatments. Unfortunately the room is almost a 15' cube, with 9' ceiling around the edges and 10' in the middle. The gear is Fusion 8s across the front, Volt 6s in the rear, and an RS 18" front left....
                            I would look at this room in a couple stages. Clap test indicates a need for broadband absorption in addition to addressing bass resonances. I suggest addressing the broadband issue first, with an eye to maximizing LF effectiveness, then addressing any remedial bass issues.

The one thing that's a great fit is a floating ceiling, as it allows you to leave everything else alone, while addressing all the issues. This could range from a series of panels (like the linked product), to a custom frame if you're into construction. I'm seeing a 12'x12' frame, or perhaps two 12'x4' frames, suspended ~1 foot from the ceiling so it matches up with the walls. The lower surface is AT cloth over perfboard with an air gap above it, then thick (4") mineral wool or fiberglass panels (Roxul or Owens Corning respectively) to it's perhaps 5-6" thick. A lot of the bass effectiveness comes from the size. I'd include lighting around the edge because it will look great.

Because the room is square, consider adding normal acoustic panels to the 15' walls. A couple on each wall, plus behind the front speakers should suffice. For best effect, alternate them on the walls so each panel is opposite bare wall. This will address any residual clap issues. Note that room furnishings can work very well, too. Display a quilt collection! Just lay it out like acoustic panels.

Then, I'd assess bass quality, to see if there's more LF absorption needed, or perhaps a second sub. The density of perforations on the ceiling treatment will affect its LF performance, but I'm betting a second sub will even things out enough.

Have fun,
                            Frank
                            The AlphaSorb® Acoustic Ceiling Cloud Kit allows you to horizontally suspend sound absorbing panels to reduce echo and reverberation.

Comment

I hung these at strategic points on my ceiling with good results. I also have some placed upright near walls, using furniture legs to get them up off the floor. They are nominally bass traps, but if you look at the absorption data for the Full Range panel, they are broadband absorbers.

https://www.atsacoustics.com/bass-trap-d.html

Francis

Comment

Working...
                              X