Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Woofer Question: One Large, or Two Small?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woofer Question: One Large, or Two Small?

Hello from Australia

I'm looking to build some bookshelf speakers for my sister's study/drawing room, and already have a spare set of VIFA BC25Tg tweeters.

I'm seeking advice on whether I'm better off using a design with one DA175 woofer such as Paul Carmody's Hitmakers, or two DA115 mids as used in Mark65's "Duelatti" MTMs. The parts cost, total cone area, dB sensitivity and cabinet size are roughly the same, so I'd be very interested to hear views on which design you'd recommended.

The Hitmakers seem to have better bass output but as my sister mainly plays old LPs, bass output may not be as important a factor.

Thank you

Geoff

I've heard both. The Deulatti were really refined. The Hitmakers were different in spectral tone. The goals of the designs from mixing monitor to casual listening can make the difference.
    Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      I've heard both. The Deulatti were really refined. The Hitmakers were different in spectral tone. The goals of the designs from mixing monitor to casual listening can make the difference.
      Later,
      Wolf
      Thanks Wolf

These would be for casual listening, not monitoring, so perhaps the Deulatti might be the go.

There are other TM designs for the DA175 of course, e.g. with the DC28F (Silver Als and Karma Indignia) - which aren't designed as monitors. But I already have the VIFA tweeters, which to my ears sound a bit more refined than the 'silkies'.

Xmax for the DA115s is listed as 2.5mm; for the DA175s, 4.2mm - so are two 2.5 Xmax better than one 4.2?

Cheers

Geoff

Comment

You basically get a 4" with 2 x Pe and 2 x Xmax. Just a rough Sd calc of 14.13 for the dual 4", and twice that for the single 7" woofer.
        Depends on what you want.
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Vinyl or not, I'd (personally) rather have 40Hz (subless) capability than not.

Also, it wouldn't bother me to drop the Vifa in-place of the Silky, w/a few extra dB of padding.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
            Vinyl or not, I'd (personally) rather have 40Hz (subless) capability than not.

Also, it wouldn't bother me to drop the Vifa in-place of the Silky, w/a few extra dB of padding.
            Thanks Chris, that's a great suggestion.

I should add that I'm looking at DA speakers as my sister likes the aluminium woofer look.

Geoff
            Last edited by Geoff Millar; 05-19-2019, 03:04 AM.

Comment

The very well known Zaph BAMTM has the DA175 with a Seas 27TBFC/G tweeter. Nice sound.

So, two large.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                The very well known Zaph BAMTM has the DA175 with a Seas 27TBFC/G tweeter. Nice sound.
                Thank you, in this case I think the cabinet will be too large: also, the SEAS tweeter is very expensive here. But that speaker is very highly regarded

Cheers

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                X