Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple subs, Ultimax vs Classic - Beneifts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple subs, Ultimax vs Classic - Beneifts?

Is there some benifit to the ulimax subwoofers I'm not getting from the specs? The classic has an eff of 90.5 and power handling of 250 watts. While the ultimax has an eff of 86.7 and power handling of 600 watts. Just a guess. Is it the ability play in a smaller sealed cabinent with boost at the lower frequincies to obtain a flat response to 20 hz?

The differences are obvious when you model them, especially where Max SPL below 50Hz is concerned. Personally I'd run two Classic loaded subs rather than one UMax loaded. You can't smooth out room response with only one sub. As for using EQ to extend response, every 6dB of EQ doubles excursion and quadruples power demand. There's no such thing as a free lunch.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I have enough budget for two Umax 12s. Maybe even four. But seems like four classics would be plenty in a 400 square foot room.

Comment

Originally posted by richlandrick View Post
        I have enough budget for two Umax 12s. Maybe even four. But seems like four classics would be plenty in a 400 square foot room.
        Four classics would be the better solution, especially if you spread them around and do a proper multisub config.

Comment

Working...
        X