Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TPS3116D2 plus two ND90 and one bass shaker - will it work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPS3116D2 plus two ND90 and one bass shaker - will it work?

I need to quickly come up with a small speaker system for my racing simulator. Nothing fancy and no hi-fi quality required. I was thinking of two ND90 drivers (based on the Sprite design) and 3116-based amplifier. While browsing the PE site I have stumbled across a bass shaker. It would fit perfectly under the racing seat. I am just not sure if the TPS3116D2 board would be able to handle two ND90s and one Dayton shaker. The board is listed as 2.1 amp with 2x50W plus 1x100W. I know that this rating is at maximum supply voltage going most likely into 4 Ohms with 10% distortion but the project doesn't need to produce great quality sound. It will be mostly for the game sounds (engine, racing noise, brakes, etc).

Amp board: https://www.parts-express.com/tps311...trols--320-620
    Drivers: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--290-208
    Shaker: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...watts--295-244

I don't see why that setup wouldn't work out fine. The bass shaker is 4 ohms and should be driven to nearly it's max ability with that amp. I think the ND90 drivers in the sprite are 8 ohm drivers? Still, I would think that it would get loud enough to be satisfying at close range.

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Thank you. I will give it a shot then.

Comment

Both the drivers and bass shaker I have chosen are 4 Ohm. The 3116 amp is listed to handle 4 Ohm so I think I should be good.

Comment

As Tom said, you should be good to go. This is perfect for an old 19 V laptop power supply. With that 19 V PS, you'll get 40 W rms into each 4 ohm drivers.

The board lists 21 V as maximum. From the pic's on PE's site, I can't see anything that would not support a 24 V PS.

Comment

I've been using a 22.2v-25.2v battery on this board with no ill consequences, Also, may be the best BT/amp board I've used to date..... Though Mike has a lot more knowledge/experience with the subject....
            Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
              I've been using a 22.2v-25.2v battery on this board with no ill consequences, Also, may be the best BT/amp board I've used to date..... Though Mike has a lot more knowledge/experience with the subject....
              Joey, please post your experience with this amp's controls. I imagine one is the master volume. For many of these "3-pot" boards the other two controls are simply volume for sub and left right - to balance the SPL between them. But this board has more op-amps than that requires. So I would be interested if it actually has a tone control and if the second is simply a volume control for sub or what not.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

Joey, please post your experience with this amp's controls. I imagine one is the master volume. For many of these "3-pot" boards the other two controls are simply volume for sub and left right - to balance the SPL between them. But this board has more op-amps than that requires. So I would be interested if it actually has a tone control and if the second is simply a volume control for sub or what not.
                The switch for 150hz cutoff works well, I have no way of measuring but cleaned up my too small scrappy's that were muddy and boomy.

Sub level adjusts sub volume.

Sub low pass filter functions appropriately and allowed a nice transition between sub and satellites.

Satellite volume is a better name for the mid/high level adjustment.

2000Hz shelf filter smoothly and effectively alters EQ.

Master volume works. I have not had the opportunity to test the "push" function but will in the next week or two when I get some time to fiddle.

I'm currently using this with a pair of Scrappy's and a DCS305-4 12" sub in 2.5cubes ported and it works very well. I'd like to find some neo drivers to lighten things up but don't want to lose any efficiency. The amp powers it with no issues though through BT and would like to see if i get an increase through line-in.

Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Working...
                X