Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New drivers graphene drivers from SEAS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New drivers graphene drivers from SEAS

    Not available yet, but SEAS has published a white paper showing how and why they are applying graphene to their magnesium cone drivers:
    http://www.seas.no/images/SEAS_Graphene_White_Paper.pdf

    See this blog post for information on their first graphene offering, a 19mm woofer:
    http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=...=41&Itemid=194

    Long story short - they can make cones that are really light, really stiff, but which have lots of damping too. All it costs is a ton of money.

    You have to admit that big copper phase plug is pretty swanky.

  • #2
    19cm...

    Nothing I've seen on the graphene coated cones has shown me that there is any benefit in damping over the previous (paint?) Coating if the old Excel series. Compare the data sheets for the W19 vs the old W18. You have a bit more surface area on the W19, but frequency response is nicer on the W18.

    Apart from the cone, the W19 features a higher excursion motor and double the price tag. If they skipped the graphene and just included the new motor on a W18 for a few more dollars I think they'd be much more attractive, to me anyway.

    I've put this graphese stuff on my wish list right next to their diamond tweeters and Alnico full range drivers...
    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dcibel View Post
      19cm...

      Nothing I've seen on the graphene coated cones has shown me that there is any benefit in damping over the previous (paint?) Coating if the old Excel series. Compare the data sheets for the W19 vs the old W18. You have a bit more surface area on the W19, but frequency response is nicer on the W18.

      Apart from the cone, the W19 features a higher excursion motor and double the price tag. If they skipped the graphene and just included the new motor on a W18 for a few more dollars I think they'd be much more attractive, to me anyway.

      I've put this graphese stuff on my wish list right next to their diamond tweeters and Alnico full range drivers...
      High end audio is defined by products with miniscule advantages achieved at great cost by esoteric technologies. I think SEAS deserves some credit for this and the other unique products they've offered over the years.

      I like the idea of a 19mm driver, also, allows you to get a lot of radiating area out of an 8-8.5" wide cabinet.

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't know, for only a few dollars more I could get the Ellipticor from Scan Speak...tough call ;)
        "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
        exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

        Comment


        • #5
          That's what, a $400+ driver? lol

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dcibel View Post
            I don't know, for only a few dollars more I could get the Ellipticor from Scan Speak...tough call ;)
            ScanSpeak is going to stop making those at some point and they will become collector's items. Such a cool driver.

            Comment


            • #7
              Buy pencil lead and scotch tape. Roll the pencil lead on the tape a few times. Now you've got graphene. Attach the tape to a speaker cone. Now you've got graphene speakers.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post
                That's what, a $400+ driver? lol
                At current exchange rate the W19 graphene is USD$600, and the Ellipticor is USD$700. The older non-graphene W18 is USD$275. You pay a lot more to be able to tell people about your graphene speakers.
                "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

                Comment


                • #9
                  The graphene does help with cone durability in very humid environments. Other than that, no real advantage.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I agree.
                    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rickcraig View Post
                      The graphene does help with cone durability in very humid environments. Other than that, no real advantage.
                      I think you had better do some research on the properties of graphene, because this statement is about as incorrect as can be.
                      craigk

                      " Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        2min of research complete

                        https://phys.org/news/2016-07-graphe...-moisture.html

                        "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                        exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I am sure lots of things in life takes you two minutes, if that long.Try looking at some real physical properties. Stiffness, rigidity, strength compared to steel or aluminum. Plenty of other really amazing properties besides these simple few you might understand. Yes, it is a great water barrier.
                          craigk

                          " Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            New and expensive designs often have future trickle down effects. I bought a 19 inch LCD TV for $600 15 years ago. Today that gets you 50-65 inches, wi-fi and hi-def. I bought an IBM PC for a small company office in the late 1980s. It had no hard disk, floppy drives and hardly any RAM. It was $2,100. Today a Raspberry Pi for $40 is much more powerful. The first DACs were $4,000. Turbos on cars used to be exotic and cost a ton. Don't immediately bash a new product and its design due to the price. Companies must innovate in order to stay ahead of the competition. Not all innovations work. At lot of those in speakers over the past 30 years have vastly improved their performance.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by craigk View Post
                              I am sure lots of things in life takes you two minutes, if that long.Try looking at some real physical properties. Stiffness, rigidity, strength compared to steel or aluminum. Plenty of other really amazing properties besides these simple few you might understand. Yes, it is a great water barrier.
                              Nice, petty insults. Good to see that you've grown up over the years...Should I bring up that dumb wire thread where you struggled with ohms law?

                              Blah blah graphene properties this and that. If it were a good cone treatment it would be represented in the linear distortion plot. Comparing the graphene models to the older Excel model without it, I see no benefit. I see a white paper about damping this and that, but I also see a resonant peak just a large as ever, still 10dB+ above the pass band. Whatever properties graphene has beyond being a water barrier don't appear to be helping out here. Looks good on the sales brochure though.
                              "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                              exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X