Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

New drivers graphene drivers from SEAS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading that white paper again, there actually isn't much in there about graphene specifically. There is mention of damping and alloys, all related to the magnesium cone that they've been using for years. Actually the only thing they are mentioning specifically about graphene is corrosion protection. The only other reference is the first paragraph, where it says "better audio performance as well as corrosion protection", but the better audio performance part isn't reinforced by anything else in the paper.

So there you have it, from Seas themselves, graphene provides corrosion protection and looks nice. Great sales feature to put the word on the label, at double the price, you decide if it's worth your money.
    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

That's some expensive corrosion protection LOL.....Ive always wanted to try graphene as a skin to my DML panels but it cost a **** load of money especially for the size I need which is around 2ft. per panel...What people were claiming about Graphene is that its suppose to be pound for pound stronger (and I think lighter?)then other materials and be very thin and light yet durable....I believe this would be an ideal material for DML panels.

Comment

You guys really need to relax.

Comment

Seas shd make a graphene tweeter, if they arent already developing one

Comment

Nice price https://www.intertechnik.com/shop/lo.../1768,en,10053

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post

Nice, petty insults. Good to see that you've grown up over the years...Should I bring up that dumb wire thread where you struggled with ohms law?

Blah blah graphene properties this and that. If it were a good cone treatment it would be represented in the linear distortion plot. Comparing the graphene models to the older Excel model without it, I see no benefit. I see a white paper about damping this and that, but I also see a resonant peak just a large as ever, still 10dB+ above the pass band. Whatever properties graphene has beyond being a water barrier don't appear to be helping out here. Looks good on the sales brochure though.
              Yeah, that's my takeaway. I don't mind spending more if they can show improvements on my W18s, but I don't see that. The huge peak in response is still there, and an impedance ripple at about 1/3 the peak frequency is still there.
              Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

Yeah, that's my takeaway. I don't mind spending more if they can show improvements on my W18s, but I don't see that. The huge peak in response is still there, and an impedance ripple at about 1/3 the peak frequency is still there.
                From what I understand there have been issues with the Excel magnesium cones corroding over time in highly humid environments. I guess this is the solution that Seas came up with. Luckily I live in a very dry environment, and my old W15's are looking as good as ever.
                "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post

From what I understand there have been issues with the Excel magnesium cones corroding over time in highly humid environments. I guess this is the solution that Seas came up with. Luckily I live in a very dry environment, and my old W15's are looking as good as ever.
                  My W18s look like they always have. Maybe if they're installed in a car? For example.
                  Francis

Comment

Careful, guys.

Watchdog sounds alarm on graphene scams

Comment

To better judge the performance advantages the entire cone should be made of graphene.

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel
                        If you actually had any real knowledge to share you wouldn't just be posting jabs. Now you're saying Seas hasn't got it right, then what are you saying? Waste of time talking to you, enjoy your superiority complex.

I = V/R by the way.
                        He loves name calling and such, apparently it's his only resort when things don't quite turn out the way he wants them too. If you scrutinize his replies, you'll discover plenty of glaring errors, not that it really matters, just let him win the argument and move on. I wonder if he was a bully in grade school? Anyway, just tell him to STFU

Comment

Working...
                        X