No announcement yet.

Old Receivers/Amps vs newer ones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do people think of Amps like the Nad- D 3020? Or even the cheap lepai and Dayton amps?

I find amp shopping to be a pain. So much snake oil.

Comment

Sun TV and Appliance, Broad St. at Yearling Rd., Columbus OH. My now ex wife and I bought a Pioneer SX-737 and two Dynaco A50 speakers for a ridiculously low price. The 70s.

Comment

I still have my Pioneer SX-850 that I got in high school, I can thank my father for that. Got it home, put it in the old style glass front cabinet, hooked it up took it for a test drive. Dad came upstairs to yell about the music and took one look at it and shut it off. We then spent the next couple hours mounting a fan in the shelf, including a cut up furnace filter to keep the dust out, weatherstrip to make sure the air was forced through it and venting in the back panel for the hot air. I credit him completely with the fact it still doesn't need to be recapped.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
          The older style silver face wood case flywheel tuning units are nicer looking and feeling than new stuff.
          The older Marantz units just had that tactical feel of quality ... and good looks.

Comment

I've got several older receivers, I like them all just fine. I also wonder if a brand new Yamaha might sound better, but I've gotten no complaints from my older stuff. The same 500 dollars would buy a lot of woofers and tweeters.

My newest and current main receiver is a dual mono Rotel RX-875 that I bought in the late 80's. It still sounds really nice, I did replace the main power supply caps a few years back. I really liked my mostly original 1973 Kenwood KR-5200. Until the tuner gradually faded out, it probably sounded even better than the Rotel. One day, I will have it repaired. I still have my old all original Kenwood KR-2600 "flea watt" receiver, still works fine. I recently joined the Pioneer club with a nice 15 WPC SX-450, also a flea watt.

Comment

Really upset my 90's krell integrated has issues, prob needs new capacitors all around. Sitting in the closet because its >600 to do it and have it adjusted by a reputable krell tech. Dragged out the old McIntosh solid state amp and pre from the same era. Still works like a champ. It sat "on" for years in a secondary system, and then stored for many more, but still sounds fine to me. If I had me some skills, I would like an old Marantz 2275 just because I like the way they look. Just beware the recap/repair on old gear because it's a real issue and can be costly

Comment

A smart marketer could cash in on baby boomers by offering real retro receivers. I think.

Comment

It would depend on your old receiver as not all old receivers are of the same quality, same goes for the receivers of today. Old receivers are only 2 channels, that's it....Todays receivers are 2-100 channels. LOL Combine with Dolby surrounds and other dsp functions etc. Certain old school receivers quality wise can sound just as good as some of the top receivers of today but with less functions.

So if you only want 2 channels with no other surround functions etc. then those old school receivers should be enough...…...If you want all the bells and whistles of multi channel surrounds then you need to get a new receiver that can accommodate all your needs and get the best receiver that you can afford.

Comment

Our get some quality amps and a cheap receiver. The amps will last decades while a cheap receiver can be replaced whenever a new technology comes to market.
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

I have a few old and a few new.

It is tough to compare them.
                      The older ones are better driving low impedances, and I feel in my mind they sound better in some ways (I think at least)

But after running some simple frequency response graphs, turns out the older ones are mildly colored sound wise.
                      The cheap yamaha I have for surround, sounds quite clean and clear, but lacks that coloration totally....

So which is better?? I like both honestly, but in different ways.
                      My really older ones are obviously not flat sounding frequency response wise, but still have a nice sound.

Comment

My Harman Kardon HK 3390 stereo receiver is not particularly visually retro, but spec wise it leans retro. 80 watts into 8 ohms, 100 into 4. It has a rudimentary sub out, no bass mgmt. Composite video switching, 21 lbs. I like it. I use it with my LXminis, looping out to the Minidsp and back for the bass, and an SMSL SA-50 for the treble.

Comment

Working...
                        X