Question before I start building cabinets for TriTrix TL speakers -

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question before I start building cabinets for TriTrix TL speakers -

I bought the TriTrix component kit from Parts Express (not the entire kit with MDF panels) and plan on building the TL Version of the cabinets myself. This is my first DIY speaker build.

There was an old website that seems to have been gone by the wayside now and only available from Wayback Machine.

These are plans for the cabinets with a little tweak from the original kit plans/dimensions if I bought the knockdown parts from Parts Express.

I'm wondering if the minor changes at the website above (speaker placement is the bigger change I think) - will make cost me anything in sound quality. He changes the width of the front panel to make it wider, but the volume of the cabinet isn't supposed to change. Will it be OK to copy the alternate plans from the regalianox.com website instead of strictly using the original design?

I'll be using this with an Akai AA-R42 receiver and Dual 1019 turntable.

Any thoughts on this?

Here is the link below (click on the top link to go right to those alternate plans).

Either should be fine.

Comment

All he really did was change the baffle to be in front of the sides instead of in between them, and add 1/4" spacing between drivers for a little more "meat". The 13 1/4" measure for the rear panel is I believe mistakenly shown to go to the bottom of the speaker when it is the measure of the rear panel as he has drawn it. The cab is exactly the same dimensions as the original except for how the panels are cut and the extra driver spacing. Both are to reduce the chance of chip out. Why he made those diagonal pieces different lengths is beyond me. They look identical in the drawing, I made them that way on mine.

I built these out of Baltic Birch and did have chip out between drivers. I made a center channel from MDF and had no problems.

FYI, Curt Campbell also designed a "tallboy" version IIRC, if you're interested. Would raise the tweeter to a better height. Ear height seated.

These are very nice sounding speakers.
      Last edited by djg; 06-05-2019, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Here's Curt's website if you didn't already know http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Tritrix_pg_3.html

Comment

I have the cabinets built. Not finished on the outside with veneer yet, but working. My lack of carpentry skills will require some touching up to even up the sides so veneer will go on correctly.
          They do sound nice.
          Next question is about the baffle/fiberfill stuffing....
          How much should I use? All of it - a full bag in each of the cabinets? I've experimented a little with the amounts, but am not sure that I'm hearing a difference?
          Is there a recommended amount to use for these TriTrix TL speaker cabinets?
          Attached Files

Comment

I puffed the stuffing then filled it best I could with out compressing it much. The filler I got with my kit was pretty lumpy and i wanted a consistent fill.

Cabinet looks fine. Bondo holes and sand it mostly flat with a palm sander then block sand the edges so you have a crisp corner for veneer. A scrap of MDF and medium duty spray adhesive make an easy over sized sanding block.

Comment

Originally posted by txredxj View Post
              I puffed the stuffing then filled it best I could with out compressing it much. The filler I got with my kit was pretty lumpy and i wanted a consistent fill.

Cabinet looks fine. Bondo holes and sand it mostly flat with a palm sander then block sand the edges so you have a crisp corner for veneer. A scrap of MDF and medium duty spray adhesive make an easy over sized sanding block.
              Did you use all the stuffing? An entire bag in each speaker?

Comment

I built these years ago before there was a kit. I used Walmart polyfill. I don't like acousta stuf. Here's an old thread about stuffing. I found this by searching the internet, you can do that too.

Tritrix TL 5.0 build... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Comment

My search page.

tritrix tl build thread stuffing - Bing

Comment

No I didn't, maybe 3/4

Comment

I've used both Polyfil and Acousta Stuf in my TL builds and I prefer Acousta Stuf. Why? Because unlike Polyfil, when you tease and fluff out Acousta Stuf before installing so that it's bigger than the volume being stuffed, it will stay in place and not settle and sink very much if at all like Polyfil. Are there any audible differences? Not that I heard. Using either fill material the goal should be to create as uniform as possible stuffing density throughout the volume being stuffed, but it does not have to be perfect.
                      Paul

Comment

I didn't read all this old thread but thought it worth linking. All sorts of acoustic treatments discussed.

100% Polyester (pillow) fill vs "dedicated" audio stuffing? - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Comment

I ended up using maybe a little less than 3/4 of a bag in each cabinet. It sounds less muffled and more clear than when I put an entire bag in each cabinet.
                          I may put a little more back in, but not sure yet.
                          Thanks for the opinions and links. I found the same, often contradictory info online. I like the real-world results from others who have built the same speakers..

Comment

Working...
                          X