Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

.375 cu ft cabinets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .375 cu ft cabinets

I am putting together a build that uses the now-defunct Dayton .375 cu ft cabinet. Any ideas for a substitute or maybe a box (ie from Hobby Lobby or such) that can be re-purposed? I'm leaning towards building one given how easy it will be, but a pre-made cabinet means it will get put together sooner.

Craigslist. Old blown "bookshelf" speakers.

Comment

I'd be surprised if you could find a box at Hobby Lobby that would be as sturdy as a 3/4" home built one. Who knows though, might be worth a look.

Comment

Besides Craigslist or eBay, thrift stores often have "vintage" speakers that are dirt cheap. Some even look ok. With a little judicious bracing and a new front panel, you're ready to go.
        Francis

Comment

I have a few pairs still new in either cherry or maybe maple. PM me and we can work something out.
          -Kerry

Comment

You could buy a bigger cabinet, for example 1 cu ft, and put blocks or stones or something inside it to reduce volume to the desired level.

Comment

Actually they have a .56 cu ft box that's a lot closer. You could even block part of it off with a shelf and put your XO there, while reducing the volume for the drivers.

Steve

Comment

The speaker I need the cabs for are Dennis Murphy's Plop in the Box, drivers are the Neo3 PDR and GR-Research M130. I got the Neos for $30 each with faceplate and rear cup, so I'm going to be able to get this done on the cheap. Same drivers as the GR-Research "N1," for which a cabinet plan is provided and I will most likely go ahead and just make them as my first cabinet build. The cabinet will be 8x12.5x11.625, face being the first two dimensions, pdf of the cabinet attached for the GR Research site. I have estimated I will only need a single 4x4 sheet, so should be a good first project. The top and sides will be put together first, and then I may go ahead and have the front face removable by installing hurricane nuts. I know to make the front and back oversized and router them down to flush. But one thing I'm concerned about is how to get a perfectly square sides and top, how is this done? Keep in mind I'm somewhat neurotic and I need these to be like 90 degrees +/- .0001 degree. I have plenty of clamps, router table, and a jasper jig. All of which I purchased some 10 years ago for a build that I'm finally getting to, having retired recently.

And if someone has the GR Research crossover schematic, I'd appreciate a PM. I have a great deal of confidence in Dennis's crossovers, but wouldn't mind another alternative to play with.

Comment

You linked the whole website, not the N1 plan pdf. PE doesn't like competing companies linked here. FYI.

That other company has their own subforum at audiocircle, you should ask about the crossover there. They might not want that proprietary info shared.

Comment

Originally posted by skatz View Post
                    Actually they have a .56 cu ft box that's a lot closer. You could even block part of it off with a shelf and put your XO there, while reducing the volume for the drivers.

Steve
                    Had not really considered that. Could also cut the box down, its a bit taller than I want. This box would have accommodated the Cryolite, which I was also considering for the Neo3, but I have already ordered the M130s.

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                      I have a few pairs still new in either cherry or maybe maple. PM me and we can work something out.
                      I would be interested in Your cabinets! There were a pair I missed a few months ago PE had on clearance. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wanna make 0.357 cabinets. pow pow pow

Comment

Working...
                        X