No announcement yet.

Eclipse W6520R-4. Comparisons? Designs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eclipse W6520R-4. Comparisons? Designs?

I'm curious about this driver after seeing topics on Docere. Had Meniscus Eclipse W6518 poly cone in 80's and it was nice (cleaner than P17 imo). So expect Mark did a good job on this one too.
    Any head to head comparisons vs say Satori, Revelator, Usher, NE180, etc? Or public designs using it?
    I'm not interested personally in response below 80hz as use subs (rs265 in 1cf with aperiodic vent, low q blends nice with room lift). But have seen the impressive mltl version.
    I have been distracted from the hobby last few years while computer design programs have evolved. Very cool! I plan to get on board with this later in the year.
    Currently using Usher 8948a exploring designs published for it. But would like another 7" driver for fun and comparison/contrast.
    Also have pairs of rs28a, cat308 collected this winter, and Scans 9300. Will be going on a hackabout trying Visaton and mcm waveguides. But want to get past only ear working and learn to measure, but it will be a bit before I can (efforts going to a wood kayak build this summer).
    Thanks for sharing any experiences!

Welcome back to the hobby nodiak. =)

I can say the Eclipse is a real nice driver but would struggle to compare to any you have listed. Mostly because I haven't heard most of the Scans/Satoris! I'm also a bit reticent to talk about someone else's product on the PE TT site, respecting their rules and all.

You and I do have several drivers in common. I built a pair of MT for a friend using the 8948a. (!!10!! years ago now.) I have a pair of Ne180 on hand. I also have a pair of the Eclipse. And I have every tweeter you mention. Well my Morel is a tad different, I have the cat328, which if I remember, is just a different faceplate version of the 308.

You might get a better response to your question about that driver from the Meniscus site?

Comment

Thanks for the reply speakerbldr. It's tough for all of us to buy and try everything that interests us for sure. A common problem. Thought I might narrow it down by asking here where so many have experience with a lot of drivers.
      Interesting about the rules. After reading them was nice to see: "We invite discussions concerning projects and products from our competition, but please do not provide "direct links" to any other E-commerce website".
      But I can see how that could become uncomfortable at times, and I did use a competitor's product name in the title. My bad on that.
      I'm bummed if my post causes any tension. But I think it's typical to have products from several sources. Actually all the drivers currently in my system are from Parts Express!
      Might delete this tomorrow if it feels weird. Thats a good suggestion to post on Meniscus board, tho could be a similar problem. 😕

Comment

Ive actually never completely read the rules here and it sounds as if I was taking them too far. That bad is on me. Sounds like they're ok with discussing other products, like it says, just don't provide the link, like you didnt. =) I myself hesitated because nobody else had replied yet and figured discussion of competitors products might part of the reason. I'll slap my own hands with the ruler on that one, and welcome that from others too =).

Comment

No problem on my end 👍

Comment

So here's an 'earfull' of my experience with the 8948a (from 10 years ago!) and the Eclipse (8 ohm). I've used the 4 ohm Eclipse too, but that system isn't complete yet. Mind you, the two systems were designed with completely different criteria. One (the 8948) was designed for stands, to be placed out in the room. The Eclipse was designed for bookshelf placement, against a wall. They used different tweeters, have different crossover points (Fc), different stuffing, boxes were shaped and braced differently etc etc. Plus, and this may be the largest factor of all, I had one shot to get it right with the 8948a and had time to tweak and futz with the Eclipse design. So comparing the drivers directly based on these two systems would be futile. Plus it's been over a month since I heard either one. However I'll share my thoughts on both.

Having said all of that, I'll start by comparing something I can compare directly. I found the Eclipse easier to work with. On similarly sized baffles, with measurements taken under similar circumstances, I needed an LCR on the 8948a to tame an ~800hz centered, baffle created lump. On the Eclipse I needed no such trickery.

As far as distortion, I can't measure it and I lost my Usher measurements some time ago. But HiFiCompass and Zaph have both measured the Usher, so you can see how it compares with SB or Scans on that site. I'm not sure where to find measurements on the Eclipse. Even if you could, the conditions may not be identical so comparisons may be difficult.

My system with the 8948a had an effortlessness to the bass and mids. Like no matter what you threw at it, it wasn't going to care, it just put the sound out there like it never had to try. I've always attributed that quality to the Usher. Plus it's got a nice tight low end, especially for being vented.

The Eclipse was sealed, so it cant compare as far as F3 but it had a great ability to draw me into the music. As relaxed as it was, the Eclipse system often surprised me with how much detail it had, how much air you could hear around the performers, etc.

Since you already have the Usher, it's difficult not suggesting that you find a good design using that one. If you do want to roll your own, since the Eclipse seems easier to work with, there is that and if that didn't work out, I've not heard a bad thing about a JeffB design so there's a fallback.

If this is the type of stuff you are looking for, I'll add more later, after I've had some sleep!!!

Comment

Shawn A's 'Arpeggios' uses the 8948A.

Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Thanks guys. I know, another - what's this driver sound like - thread... but just couldn't hep myself!
                Wolf I set up 8948a with 9950 using the xo parts on hand to make almost Arpeggios. Same xo for 8948a, slightly different values on 9950 (5.5uf, .5mh, 3ohm) . I like it a lot. Also found another similar xo with an lcr on 8948a to deal with the 800hz bump speekerbldr mentioned. Will be switching between them over next weeks (have two pairs of these ushers ).

speekerbldr, yes that helps, and all am really looking for. Some comments about midrange detail, and ease of working with help. From what I've read the kapton former could be at least partly responsible for the eclipse detail. That could be interesting .
                I agree, the Usher has room filling, very large, relaxed, 3d soundstage. Pretty awesome. I do feel a little more focus would be nice, sometimes it seems too diffuse, so a waveguide/tweeter might help imo. But I'm pretty addicted to the soundstage saturation.
                I'll likely get a pair of the eclipse, they're priced right. Sounds like they're high quality and enough difference to these Ushers to make it fun and interesting.
                Really appreciate the responses, helps to have a little input to chew on

Wolf, funny thing is I grew up in Indiana (New Castle and Muncie ), but moved out in '76. Still visit but only on Thanksgiving some years. Bad timing to go to one of the Indiyana gatherings. Those look awesome!
                Fall and winter is my audio season. Should be able to get into the real world of measuring then. In the olden days I used an Audio Control equalizer to check on response. The warble tones were entertaining! Still have that thing , but haven't used for decades.
                Ok, thanks again 👍

Don

Comment

Well then you moved out of here before I cam around. I just turned 41 a few months ago, and was born just after the blizzard of '78. You would be welcome to attend if you could make it out here some time.
                  Glad I could help,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I remember that winter's weather. Had moved to Colorado where winters can be extreme anyway. At 8900 ft we were closed off a couple weeks. Learned to play cribbage and eucher then! I looked up pics of the 78 storm in Indiana, pretty hard core with shut down roads and buried cars.
                    Last edited by nodiak; 06-13-2019, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X