Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

How can I connect subwoofer BIC F12?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I connect subwoofer BIC F12?

Hi everyone, I'm not an audio expert so here I am asking for help.
    I'm interested in taking this subwoofer, BIC America F12, to replace I have at the moment.

My sub is part of the system Logitech z906 but I don't find it powerful enough to shake my room (I use my sub mostly for music) and so I want to change it.
    The problem is that I don't want to change the 5 speakers because even if the sub is not that good I find the speakers good enough.

I wonder if there's any way to connect my 5 speakers and the new sub to an external receiver, and if so, which receiver would you recommend?

Or maybe I can connect some of the speakers (not all of them) on the back of this sub, do you think it will work?

What would you suggest to do?

It appears that the amps for your front, center, surround and sub speakers are all in the subwoofer cabinet and I don't see a separate output for an external sub .Not sure how you could get around that ..

Comment

^^^
      That will be the main problem. I think you'll find the electronics the limiting factor if you try to drive a better woofer. You'd have to:
      • Use the internal amp for a new passive woofer, which will likely be too weak to impress you.
      • Try to find a line level signal on the board somewhere to tap and send to an external sub amp. Requires a scope and some skills, and you'll want to test if there's a high pass roll off for the woofer built in that would ruin your new woofers output.
      • Use a resistor network to pad down the amp level woofer signal to send to an external amp. Same thing applies, you'll want to test for a high pass to see if it will filter out the bass you want from your new woofer.
      Personally... not worth it. Start a new system. It's a relative pain, but much better and more flexible in the long run.
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music
      Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
        ^^^
        That will be the main problem. I think you'll find the electronics the limiting factor if you try to drive a better woofer. You'd have to:
        • Use the internal amp for a new passive woofer, which will likely be too weak to impress you.
        • Try to find a line level signal on the board somewhere to tap and send to an external sub amp. Requires a scope and some skills, and you'll want to test if there's a high pass roll off for the woofer built in that would ruin your new woofers output.
        • Use a resistor network to pad down the amp level woofer signal to send to an external amp. Same thing applies, you'll want to test for a high pass to see if it will filter out the bass you want from your new woofer.
        Personally... not worth it. Start a new system. It's a relative pain, but much better and more flexible in the long run.
        What about getting an amplifier?
        I was thinking on taking the Dayton Audio DTA-1 amplifier, as I have seen it from a dude on youtube having the same sub I want to take.

Do you think my speakers will work with it? At least two of them

Comment

So ditch the Logitech electronics entirely, just re-use the satellite speakers? That could work OK, but there's some challenges. I'm no stranger to rigging less than ideal stuff with decent results that would upset engineers who like to do things correctly

First, those DTA-1's don't have much power. To make the most out of them and the small speakers, you'd want to high pass the amp between 100-200Hz. Some line level high passes would work, like these FMOD thingies. Lower frequency = better integration with the sub but less output. Measure those Logitech speakers, if they buzz out to 6+ ohms with a multimeter you can run 2 pairs of them off one amp in parallel. If they're in the 3 ohm range, you'll need two pairs of amps.

Next, you need to get a mono signal for the sub. You can't just Y adapter that sucker without shorting everything to Mono, so you need a resistor jig to connect right and left. Lot's of info online on how to do this.

Then, what to do with that 5th speaker. Personally, I'd ditch it. It does no good without a proper center channel signal. But... you could use that mono signal and another amp to drive it.
          Wogg Music
          Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat

Comment

Originally posted by Antares95 View Post
            Hi everyone, I'm not an audio expert so here I am asking for help.
            I'm interested in taking this subwoofer, BIC America F12, to replace I have at the moment.

I wonder if there's any way to connect my 5 speakers and the new sub to an external receiver

What would you suggest to do?
            Well, looking at the Logitech system, I would ditch the sub and control console. Buy any old used 5.1 AVR on Craigslist or Ebay. Connect the five Logitech speakers to the receiver, connect your new sub to the sub out of the receiver with an RCA cable. If your Logitech speakers sound crappy after this, it means Logitech has some sound processing going on in their system to make their crappy speakers sound better.

Then you're faced with buying five normal speakers, and you'll have a whole new better system.

I would just do that anyway, but that's me.

Comment

So ditch the Logitech electronics entirely, just re-use the satellite speakers? That could work OK, but there's some challenges. I'm no stranger to rigging less than ideal stuff with decent results that would upset engineers who like to do things correctly

First, those DTA-1's don't have much power. To make the most out of them and the small speakers, you'd want to high pass the amp between 100-200Hz. Some line level high passes would work, like these FMOD thingies. Lower frequency = better integration with the sub but less output. Measure those Logitech speakers, if they buzz out to 6+ ohms with a multimeter you can run 2 pairs of them off one amp in parallel. If they're in the 3 ohm range, you'll need two pairs of amps.

Next, you need to get a mono signal for the sub. You can't just Y adapter that sucker without shorting everything to Mono, so you need a resistor jig to connect right and left. Lot's of info online on how to do this.

Then, what to do with that 5th speaker. Personally, I'd ditch it. It does no good without a proper center channel signal. But... you could use that mono signal and another amp to drive it.
              Yes that's exactly what I meant, I don't need to re-use the whole Logitech system with the new sub, I just want to keep using my speakers instead of buying new ones.
              So with an amplifier I can still use my speakers and wire also the new sub? Which amplifier would you recommend to get the best out of the system?

PS: My speakers have 335 watts rms and 8ohms to have some specs (I'm not totally sure about the watts but the ohms are this one here)

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post

Well, looking at the Logitech system, I would ditch the sub and control console. Buy any old used 5.1 AVR on Craigslist or Ebay. Connect the five Logitech speakers to the receiver, connect your new sub to the sub out of the receiver with an RCA cable. If your Logitech speakers sound crappy after this, it means Logitech has some sound processing going on in their system to make their crappy speakers sound better.

Then you're faced with buying five normal speakers, and you'll have a whole new better system.

I would just do that anyway, but that's me.
                That's what I have been thinking, get a receiver and connect everything. I just wanted to be sure that my speakers will keep working because they are powered by the sub I have now. The sub I want to get wouldn't do it

Comment

Yes that's exactly what I meant, I don't need to re-use the whole Logitech system with the new sub, I just want to keep using my speakers instead of buying new ones.
                  So with an amplifier I can still use my speakers and wire also the new sub? Which amplifier would you recommend to get the best out of the system?

PS: My speakers have 335 watts rms and 8ohms to have some specs (I'm not totally sure about the watts but the ohms are this one here)
                  +1 at djg 's suggestion... pick up a 5.1 receiver and go to town. If your budget is small go used, or check accessories4less (add your own .com out of respect for PE). That's reasonably cheap, and a whole lot less "rigging" compared to hodge-podging line level filters to little amps.
                  Wogg Music

Comment

+1 at djg 's suggestion... pick up a 5.1 receiver and go to town. If your budget is small go used, or check accessories4less (add your own .com out of respect for PE). That's reasonably cheap, and a whole lot less "rigging" compared to hodge-podging line level filters to little amps.
                    Which receiver would you suggest?

Comment

What are people’s thoughts on him opening up the sub cab, tapping into the sub out leads, and feeding the high level inputs of the BIC with the sub signal. Not optimal but seems like it should work, right?

Comment

The best Homer Simpson's skim: "free service here we come" - "the red one" - YouTube

Comment

Which receiver would you suggest?
                          Depends on your budget. There are lots of used 5.1 receivers that are outdated in the visual department but perfectly fine for an audio only system. Dig in to Craigslist, find something you can afford, look it up online to read specs and reviews, if acceptable contact the seller, repeat as necessary. With Craigslist you can get real bargains and see and hear before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post

Depends on your budget. There are lots of used 5.1 receivers that are outdated in the visual department but perfectly fine for an audio only system. Dig in to Craigslist, find something you can afford, look it up online to read specs and reviews, if acceptable contact the seller, repeat as necessary. With Craigslist you can get real bargains and see and hear before you buy.
                            Ok so here I am looking on ebay at this receiver (second hand I guess) Denon AVR-X520BT 5.2
                            Can I wire the Bic America F12 and my 5 speakers to this receiver? Will they work perfectly?

And one important question: Can I connect this receiver with my computer? (My computer is an HP Pavillion)

In the past I used to connect my old portable pc and my cousing used to do it with his old phone through a jack cable with a receiver so I wonder if I can do the same with this one

Comment

That should work just fine. If your PC has a digital output, S/PDIF optical, that would be the best connection to the receiver. If not, an analog 1/8" to dual RCA cable will work too.
                              Wogg Music

Comment

Working...
                              X