• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now THAT is a crossover

Saw this @ Stereophile.com.

Page here:
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/...stereo-amp-and

I wonder how the speakers would measure. With that many parts, they should have been able to get them about ruler flat.

All that for 20w/ch. This kind of equipment is all about exclusivity and appearance it's got little to do with audio performance sadly.
    Paul O

Comment

Ah, come on.... Mine looks better....
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3489CROP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1414979Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3488CROP.jpg
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1414980
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3480CROP.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1414981Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3481CROP.jpg
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1414982

Mind you, most of the coils were superfluous with only 3 of the majority running at any one time for a coil-type comparison. AND- I added 4 parts for the Xpad circuit as well as changing a couple more values in optimizing for the newer TSCW636 Supreme woofers.

Yeah- I know that theirs is indeed larger, but at least mine was with a larger purpose involved.

Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

And that's why Stereophile is no longer relevant.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
          Saw this @ Stereophile.com.

Page here:
          https://www.stereophile.com/content/...stereo-amp-and

I wonder how the speakers would measure. With that many parts, they should have been able to get them about ruler flat.
          Or flip it around and ask what crappy drivers they used that require such massive amounts of massaging. And even so, I bet they ignored the whole subject of deep-sea bioluminescnce.
          Francis

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
            And that's why Stereophile is no longer relevant.
            To you and me maybe, but there are still plenty of audiofools out there that think they can hear the difference between Ethernet and USB cables.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
              Ah, come on.... Mine looks better....
              Wolf
              That actually is a nice looking piece of kit, especially when once considers the reasons behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

Or flip it around and ask what crappy drivers they used that require such massive amounts of massaging. And even so, I bet they ignored the whole subject of deep-sea bioluminescnce.
                I'm kind of curious what that crossover is all about. There were a lot of parts in Joseph Audio Infinite Slop xovers, maybe that is doing something similar but with exotic parts?

Because honestly I don't know how you'd build a crossover with that many parts under normal circumstances?

Edit to add: Apparently they're "constant voltage" crossovers:

http://evolutionacoustics.com/evolut...brochure-4.pdf

Looks like the impedance doesn't vary much?

I donno.

Comment

I'm kind of curious what that crossover is all about. There were a lot of parts in Joseph Audio Infinite Slop xovers, maybe that is doing something similar but with exotic parts?

Because honestly I don't know how you'd build a crossover with that many parts under normal circumstances?

Edit to add: Apparently they're "constant voltage" crossovers:

http://evolutionacoustics.com/evolut...brochure-4.pdf

Looks like the impedance doesn't vary much?

I donno.
                  Maybe. Considering that modern amps are very tolerant of impedance swings, that seems like a dubious reason to massively complicate the crossover.
                  Francis

Comment

Maybe. Considering that modern amps are very tolerant of impedance swings, that seems like a dubious reason to massively complicate the crossover.
                    Oh I'm pretty sure the actual reason is to provide some snake-oil type sales literature to unsuspecting audiofools that will sleep better at night knowing their speakers provide an even load.

Gotta differentiate. Even if that means your crossover is a two-man lift.

Comment

The Snake Oil is strong with this one.

https://www.evolutionacoustics.com/?...28613281250000

Due to the extreme engineering behind these cables, proper burn in will begin to occur after several hundred hours. These are probably some of the heaviest and largest cables in the industry with an extraordinary amount of copper. Therefore, be patient, because when adequately broken in their performance is sublime.
                      Francis

Comment

The Snake Oil is strong with this one.

https://www.evolutionacoustics.com/?...28613281250000

Due to the extreme engineering behind these cables, proper burn in will begin to occur after several hundred hours. These are probably some of the heaviest and largest cables in the industry with an extraordinary amount of copper. Therefore, be patient, because when adequately broken in their performance is sublime.
                        I'll translate that for people following along: "The cables won't be broken in until long after the return window has closed."

Comment

I'll translate that for people following along: "The cables won't be broken in until long after the return window has closed."
                          Lol
                          Francis

Comment

With the massive amounts of copper in that crossover, I bet they take forever to break in, too!
                            Francis

Comment

I bet if I plug them into 600VAC 3-phase they'll be broken in no time.
                              "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                              exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Working...
                              X