Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now THAT is a crossover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Ah, come on.... Mine looks better....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3489CROP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1414979Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3488CROP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1414980
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3480CROP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1414981Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3481CROP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1414982

    Mind you, most of the coils were superfluous with only 3 of the majority running at any one time for a coil-type comparison. AND- I added 4 parts for the Xpad circuit as well as changing a couple more values in optimizing for the newer TSCW636 Supreme woofers.

    Yeah- I know that theirs is indeed larger, but at least mine was with a larger purpose involved.

    Later,
    Wolf
    Yup, and your inductors are hand-wound and poly-dipped. Things of beauty they are.
    They probably used off-the-shelf stuff for that X-over.
    But did you ever put a spotlight on yours? Maybe the warmth from the incandescent bulb gives the music a tube-like warmth.

    TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

    *Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

    Comment


    • #32
      Where does it describe the function of the magic smoke?

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by dcibel View Post
        Fluff-free translation: it's a series crossover.

        Anyone using the phrase "not in the signal path" for any electrical components is lacking an understanding of electronics. All crossover components are in the signal path.
        ^^This

        If you interpret that load of poop as each driver is in series with each other and straight to the amp, that means they're ignoring the parallel filter components in the series topology, which of course is wrong. Plus, that means each driver needs only 1 or 2 components and is limited to a first order electrical filter. I don't know WTF they're doing with the rest of the components.. super excessive parallel notches everywhere?

        Also.. series would more accurately be described as "constant current" since all series components share the same current (again... ignoring the required filter components). Voltage is the only thing that changes in series circuits. They seem to be dumb on several levels.
        Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
        Wogg Music
        Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

        Comment


        • #34
          Funny how the term constant voltage crossover has changed. When Small wrote a paper on them what it meant was that the summed output was flat with zero phase. Obviously a parallel 1st order crossover fits that definition as does the B&O filler driver and the TP 2nd order crossover I developed years ago based on Small's work. One thing about CV crossovers is they typically have really poor vertical polar response. Sometimes you just have to shake your head and look away.
          John k.... Music and Design NaO dsp Dipole Loudspeakers.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by johnk... View Post
            Funny how the term constant voltage crossover has changed. When Small wrote a paper on them what it meant was that the summed output was flat with zero phase. Obviously a parallel 1st order crossover fits that definition as does the B&O filler driver and the TP 2nd order crossover I developed years ago based on Small's work. One thing about CV crossovers is they typically have really poor vertical polar response. Sometimes you just have to shake your head and look away.
            Yet, their crossover doesn't affect the signal in the slightest. I suspect we just don't have the mental capacity to grasp the awesomeness.
            Francis

            Comment


            • #37
              Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
              How do they sound?
              Irrelevant!! Stay on topic!

              Comment


              • #38
                For that price they'd better sound good. Really really good. And I'd still resent the bizarre pseudo-science the company touts as "information".
                Francis

                Comment


                • #39
                  Pretty much everyone sells snake oil, from your local used car salesman, to your elected officials, to just about any corporation. Sadly, tt's a way of life these days.
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

                  Comment


                  • #40
                    Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
                    Pretty much everyone sells snake oil, from your local used car salesman, to your elected officials, to just about any corporation. Sadly, tt's a way of life these days.
                    And you're free to gladly accept it. I don't.
                    Francis

                    Comment


                    • #41
                      Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      Ah, come on.... Mine looks better....
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3489CROP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1414979Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3488CROP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1414980
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3480CROP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1414981Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3481CROP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1414982
                      Wolf
                      Yours looks better? How so? More colorful zip ties? Unused zip ties?
                      Craig

                      Comment


                      • #42
                        Originally posted by fpitas View Post

                        And you're free to gladly accept it. I don't.
                        Accept what?
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

                        Comment


                        • #43
                          Originally posted by philthien View Post
                          Edit to add: Apparently they're "constant voltage" crossovers
                          LOL, Constant Voltage crossovers have horrible lobing and constrain high or low pass to 6 dB/octave.

                          Simmed this all on a Vax 30+ yrs ago. Ack!! Pass!!

                          Comment


                          • #44
                            I wonder if it can make a bose speaker sound as good as the Revel Salon 2's? LOL

                            Comment


                            • #45
                              Originally posted by DDF View Post

                              LOL, Constant Voltage crossovers have horrible lobing and constrain high or low pass to 6 dB/octave.

                              Simmed this all on a Vax 30+ yrs ago. Ack!! Pass!!
                              Horrible lobing yes, constrained to 6db/oct, no.
                              John k.... Music and Design NaO dsp Dipole Loudspeakers.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X