X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Holtz
    replied
    Originally posted by civit View Post

Any recommendations for 15cm midranges in that price class? Satori MW13p seems like a good option.
    I agree with Craig. The SB15CAC is really excellent and affordable. Revelators are always a sold choice but double the money. That said, I really like the mids of the NE series drivers if Tymphany would quit screwing around with availability. The NE149-8 is excellent and available. Many will disagree but I'm not sure that I don't prefer it to the Rev's. I've not heard the Satori MW 13P so I can't comment beyond its hard to find a SB driver that doesn't sound good. My 1st impression of the SB15CAC was extremely positive. I'm hoping to spend more time with it in the future.

HTH

Jim

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied
    The SB15CAC has wonderful midrange and doesn't break the bank.

Leave a comment:

• civit
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
    Thanks! We're bummed about it too. From our perspective Tymphany has become an unreliable supplier of drivers and we'll focus on other high performing brands as we move forward.
    Jim
    Any recommendations for 15cm midranges in that price class? Satori MW13p seems like a good option.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Holtz
    replied
    Originally posted by civit View Post

That's a big shame about the ne149, Jim. That was a very popular design and a good option for a lot of people.
    Thanks! We're bummed about it too. From our perspective Tymphany has become an unreliable supplier of drivers and we'll focus on other high performing brands as we move forward.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• civit
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post

Curt did an update with Morel 328 tweeters but then the NE149-4 mids have gone NLA due to a minimum order of 500 pieces. 8 ohm versions are still available but would require yet another crossover rework. Time to move on.

Jim
    That's a big shame about the ne149, Jim. That was a very popular design and a good option for a lot of people.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    I knew it was for one reason or another. I did not know of the tweeter rehash on them.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Jim Holtz
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    ...and the Finalist tweeters are NLA.
    Wolf
    Curt did an update with Morel 328 tweeters but then the NE149-4 mids have gone NLA due to a minimum order of 500 pieces. 8 ohm versions are still available but would require yet another crossover rework. Time to move on.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    The precursor to the Finalists is the Statement Monitor, a 3 way with a 7" woofer. Drivers still available, and the design can be built near wall, far wall or both with a switch.

Statements_Monitor

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Sehlin Sound Solutions - Indium 7

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    John Krutke (Zaph) end it all 3 way, kit available elsewhere. If you want big.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    ...and the Finalist tweeters are NLA.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Paulie
    replied
    Originally posted by Trdat View Post
    For now, I am trying to understand concepts more than anything else to help better my overall knowledge in the DIY sphere, and also going for the long haul in researching for the next best speaker. My current two, Amiga and 3WC are not bad at all and in order to get an upgrade i need to find a great design and to beef up the size and I feel in order to at least get the improvement I'm looking for, I need to go with the statements perhaps statements 2. This is due to its double woofer and double mid plus I can still use my subs to handle the lower frequencies with the 10 inches on the Statements playing more open. With the Tarkus there will be no point in crossing over the massive Tarkus sub with smaller 12 inches that I have got in a 40 litre. Appreciate the note for the approximate 1 meter gap between the wall and speaker Ill take that in consideration.
    The Statement's use the RS225-8 which is an 8 inch woofer not a 10 inch.

Leave a comment:

• civit
    replied
    Your suspicion about sound differences between differently sized midranges is spot on. Small midranges can sound great but you may prefer something bigger.

If you are looking for a design which uses a bigger midrange, very high end but reasonably priced, I'd look at the finalist speakers by Curt Campbell. These use a 150mm (~5") paper cone woofer in an open back configuration. The rest of the drivers have a very high price/performance ratio, similar to the 3w/classic with the scanspeak discovery drivers.

I would skip the Tarkus, personally. Statements or Finalists would probably give you what you're looking for.

Leave a comment:

• Trdat
    replied
    For now, I am trying to understand concepts more than anything else to help better my overall knowledge in the DIY sphere, and also going for the long haul in researching for the next best speaker. My current two, Amiga and 3WC are not bad at all and in order to get an upgrade i need to find a great design and to beef up the size and I feel in order to at least get the improvement I'm looking for, I need to go with the statements perhaps statements 2. This is due to its double woofer and double mid plus I can still use my subs to handle the lower frequencies with the 10 inches on the Statements playing more open. With the Tarkus there will be no point in crossing over the massive Tarkus sub with smaller 12 inches that I have got in a 40 litre. Appreciate the note for the approximate 1 meter gap between the wall and speaker Ill take that in consideration.

Leave a comment:

• scottvalentin
    replied
    Note that if you are considering the Statements, that design has an open back mid. It has a tunnel for the back of the midrange that opens so that sound from the mid comes out the back of the speaker in addition to the front. As a result, the designer recommends at least 18" from the back of the speaker to the wall behind it and that you don't have any large furniture in between the 2 speakers. From the reviews I've read it is an excellent speaker but definitely needs more room to sound its best.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X