• Show
Clear All

• MWAF 2019 music is up!

http://www.midwestaudiofest.com/spea...ompetition.php

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Interesting selection, but could do with more jazz and classics!

Geoff

Comment

I used to think white wedding was awful and hard to listen to. Until I built my latest speakers

Comment

Well that's typical for the MWAF music selections. The only "classical" piece is the Pines of Rome, and the specific movement (The Pines Near a Catacomb) to be used, while good, isn't nearly as dynamic or useful for the over-$200 category as the last movement IMO.

Edit: At this year's InDIYana on one of the two personal demo CDs I played, the last track was the last 1:40 of the last movement, The Pines of the Appian Way, and was enjoyed rather enthusiastically by those in attendance.
        Paul

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
        Interesting selection, but could do with more jazz and classics!

Geoff
        Last edited by Paul K.; 06-21-2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Let the complaints begin!

Seriously, I really do not understand how "White Wedding" and "Burning Down the house" tracks are going to reveal much of anything in a speaker...

Also the Norah Jones track is not a good one to use....

Choosing reference music is never a winning propositon. Oh well. Maybe next year will offer some better options. Wolf has put together some good stuff in the past. Maybe he can be nominated for this task next year? Or PE could start a TT thread asking for suggestions and then have a big poll.
          Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

I really think they need more Slayer... (I know Paul K would agree)
            A mains
            The Ventures
            Open Invit8tions
            RSR
            Sound Troopers
            Acorns
            DGBG's
            The Monuments

Comment

Yes, Eric, I'm sure Paul would agree!

Charlie, thanks for the rec, but it's hard enough handling the InDIYana playlist sometimes and I don't think they'd allow me to pick if I'm competing.
              Yeah, I agree on the first 2. Norah's original album was pushed up in the red, but the MoFi release sounds a LOT better with better mastering. I think there are better cuts on there though.

Later,
              Wolf
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Guys, guys, guys, guys...

Guys.....

As per their request, the judges pick all of the music for this competition.
                Your results may vary.

Comment

We're just an opinionated bunch. I'm just happy to be able to go and have fun!
                  Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Me, too, and I simply cannot wait to hear more Slayer.
                    Paul

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                    Wolf

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      Wolf
                      Same....

I mean, if the judges are picking, they at least are probably familiar with the track and know what to look for. Though I think it would be cool to hear from them on this at the event. IMO knowing what to look for is part of the fun in designing.

Oh and I'm in for more Slayer....
                      Last edited by GTPlus; 06-21-2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by charlielaub View Post
                        Let the complaints begin!

Seriously, I really do not understand how "White Wedding" and "Burning Down the house" tracks are going to reveal much of anything in a speaker...

Also the Norah Jones track is not a good one to use....

Choosing reference music is never a winning propositon. Oh well. Maybe next year will offer some better options. Wolf has put together some good stuff in the past. Maybe he can be nominated for this task next year? Or PE could start a TT thread asking for suggestions and then have a big poll.
                        White wedding will sound much better on a big speaker. It's pretty dynamic, and digs deep. The vocals are deep as well, and might reveal coloration in poorly designed boxes. I like the song. I've recently heard it on you-tube, and basing my opinion on that version. It's the kind of tune that you want to play loud. A 6.5" woofer probably isn't up to the task. Maybe no one in that category would try a small design anyway.

Comment

It must be said that we demo all songs in a meeting and choose the which go into each category. Now, having said that - the music we poo-poo'd (they provided more tracks than we needed) wasn't any better. We do our best to select genres and styles for each category. You can't please everyone.

Also - the version of White Wedding he suggested may surprise most of you.
                          Your results may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by mattp View Post
                            It must be said that we demo all songs in a meeting and choose the which go into each category. Now, having said that - the music we poo-poo'd (they provided more tracks than we needed) wasn't any better. We do our best to select genres and styles for each category. You can't please everyone.

Also - the version of White Wedding he suggested may surprise most of you.
                            The acoustic version is awesome! Also on you-tube.

Comment

To paraphrase a great man:

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

One of the issues in judging any competition - whether it's speakers, cakes,films or whatever, is that you probably need to like what you're hearing, etc.

It would be no use my judging an oyster competition as I can't stand them, and it would be no use my attempting to judge a speaker competition if all that was on offer was death metal, as I don't care for it.

So, if the judges for MWAF or any other competition like the music selections, I would think that makes their job much easier.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                              X