X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mikec
    started a topic Passive Radiators -- pros and cons

Passive Radiators -- pros and cons

I'm a novice speaker builder but advanced woodworker and need some big speakers for new shop (32'x48'x12') {yes, I've posted about this before but this is more specific}

I had some KLH 5001's (lost in fire 15 years ago) that had a 12" woofer and 12" PR and really liked the sound and would like to build something similar. I really liked the way the vocals sounded and the clarity of the guitar strings fading off. I've got some Tanzenite bookshelf speakers and they sound great but aren't big enough (and are staying in my office!)

But with the new woofer designs do I need a PR or will the new designs sound even better with a PR?

Any existing designs out there that I can copy? (especially the XO )

Looking at "Rally Sports" but they sound like they are best at higher volumes and harder rock than I listen to -- I'm more into vocals, jazz, classical, instrumentals and acoustic folk than rock.

Any other suggestions??

• Unbiasedsound
    replied
    I didn't think there was a choice as both lead to the same destination. LOL

AARP to a Senior Citizen is like Chemo therapy to Cancer. $$$$$$ LMAO

I am bombarded with organizations asking for donations. Just because I donated once does not mean I will donate every time. LOL

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Get old or die, your choice.

And AARP is worse than the NRA in the amount of crap they bombard you with in your mail and email.

Leave a comment:

• Unbiasedsound
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    Time is cruel.
    Isnt it? mr.Sr citizen LOL

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Time is cruel.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by mikec View Post

That very though occurred to me as I was considering these responses.

Yep, big "PLUS" for PR's

UPDATE:

I've found a pair of the old KLH 5001's that I had and will pick them up Saturday -- and only $100!

I'll give them a good listen and decide if they're "good enough", "good enough until I can build something better" or "boy my memory is shot!"

If they're vintage, they may need new caps and even new woofer surrounds to sound their best.

Leave a comment:

• mikec
    replied
    Originally posted by chad1376 View Post
    Without knowing the environment in your shop, a possible advantage of a PR might be to prevent "stuff" from making it's way into (and living) in the speaker cabinet. Sawdust, bugs, mice, etc??
    That very though occurred to me as I was considering these responses.

Yep, big "PLUS" for PR's

UPDATE:

I've found a pair of the old KLH 5001's that I had and will pick them up Saturday -- and only $100!

I'll give them a good listen and decide if they're "good enough", "good enough until I can build something better" or "boy my memory is shot!"

Leave a comment:

• Unbiasedsound
    replied
    Originally posted by mikec View Post
    I'm a novice speaker builder but advanced woodworker and need some big speakers for new shop (32'x48'x12') {yes, I've posted about this before but this is more specific}

I had some KLH 5001's (lost in fire 15 years ago) that had a 12" woofer and 12" PR and really liked the sound and would like to build something similar. I really liked the way the vocals sounded and the clarity of the guitar strings fading off. I've got some Tanzenite bookshelf speakers and they sound great but aren't big enough (and are staying in my office!)

But with the new woofer designs do I need a PR or will the new designs sound even better with a PR?

Any existing designs out there that I can copy? (especially the XO )

Looking at "Rally Sports" but they sound like they are best at higher volumes and harder rock than I listen to -- I'm more into vocals, jazz, classical, instrumentals and acoustic folk than rock.

Any other suggestions??
    If you like the sound of that particular KLH speaker then I suggest you mimic them as close as possible. Its every driver working in sync which includes the PR's that give you that signature sound you liked in your KLH 5001's.

IMO PR's and Ports sound different regardless if they operate similarly. Also from my experience Ive never heard a port sound cleaner and or more controlled them a PR......One more thing IMO/experience with PR's they sound best when placed in front/forward as to me they don't sound as good when placed on the sides, back, or bottom/down firing.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Very compact subwoofers are the natural home for PRs.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Wolf's volcanic subwoofer and Tom Zarbo's Tenacious design use PRs. Both very compact and high performance.

Leave a comment:

• chad1376
    replied
    Without knowing the environment in your shop, a possible advantage of a PR might be to prevent "stuff" from making it's way into (and living) in the speaker cabinet. Sawdust, bugs, mice, etc??

Leave a comment:

• mikec
    replied
    Very interesting. Lots to think about. Thanks for the help!

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by westrock2000 View Post
    One of the things i’ve had issues with ports over the years is port noise (chuffing). To make port fit, you have to make the diameter smaller, but that increases the likelyhood of port noise. Make a bigger diameter port and now you have to make an even longer port longer in the cabinet.
    Sure. When the port gets excessively long, a PR is a solution.

Leave a comment:

• westrock2000
    replied
    One of the things i’ve had issues with ports over the years is port noise (chuffing). To make port fit, you have to make the diameter smaller, but that increases the likelyhood of port noise. Make a bigger diameter port and now you have to make an even longer port in the cabinet.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    If the port entrance is correctly placed and the cabinet properly damped it won't pass any more midrange than a PR. Where a PR is really different is that it doesn't have port resonances. But if that was a major factor you'd see a lot more PRs and far fewer VBs. IMO the most significant reason to use a PR is so your advertising can say it's a PR, and you can claim all sorts of reasons why it's better than a VB, which usually translates to more expensive than a VB.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X