Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for 8" woofer f3 in low 40's sealed <1.5 cu ft? HiVi LK8A?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 8" woofer f3 in low 40's sealed <1.5 cu ft? HiVi LK8A?

I am looking for an 8 ohm 8" woofer that has an F3 in the low 40's in under 1.5 cubic foot sealed box.

This is to build a sealed 3.5 way with tweeter, dome mid, and two 8" woofers in around 3 cubic feet or less.

I don't think an 8" sub would be the best choice as I would like to cross over to the dome midrange about 800-1000Hz.

Budget per woofer is ~$150.00'ish.

The best that I can come up with is the HiVi LK8A 8" Sandwich Cone Woofer,

HiVi LK8A 8" Sandwich Cone Woofer

Exproject
    - Говорители - Басови от 6" до 12" - HIVI - LK8A

Has anyone used or seen this woofer?

I cannot find any info about it...

Any other suggestions?

Thank you,

David.

We can't link to PE's competitors, of course.

If you're not set on a sealed design, the specs on the SB Acoustics SB20PFC-8 suggest an F3 of 45 Hz in a 1.25 cu ft. vented cabinet: so, 2.5 cubic feet for two woofers?

Not sure how accurate the specs are, of course, and I haven't modelled this driver in a box - just mucked about in Xsim for fun.

I'm trying its little brother, the SB16PFC-8, in a two way and it's sounding rather good. However, the frame shape is a right pain to flush mount, so I haven't!

Geoff

Comment

Take a peek at the Peerless 830667 (PE p/n 264-1102). It is a subwoofer but it looks like it will play clean up to 800 Hz. In 42 Liters (1.5 ft^3) sealed it's F3 is 46 Hz. And you can get all four of them for only $210.

The HiVi LK8A plays a few Hz lower in 30 Liters, but it can't take much power without running into xmax issues (23 W).

If you can stand a slightly wider baffle, I would consider the Peerless 10" paper subwoofer 830668. I used that woofer in a WMTM for my son and the in-room bass is really great in just 1.5 Ft^3 sealed. Nice tight bass where the kick drum hits you solidly in the chest and it doesn't seem to be missing any low bass at all (although we don't play any pipe organ music).
      Craig

Comment

Take a look at the Morel MW-266, it looks like it will get you into the low 40s in a good sized sealed box with a generously high Q factor. Low F3 combined with high Q equals lots of bass!

The Dayton DC200 sims pretty well in a sealed box, F3 probably around 50 Hz in 1.0 cu/ft.

The Visaton W170S does very well sealed for a 6 1/2" woofer. My Old Skools used this woofer in a 21L box and could hit some surprisingly low notes.

Comment

Scott used the SD270 sealed in his Indium7 design:
          https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...tions/indium-7
          https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--295-486

Sealed is a hard ball to squash with an 8" woofer and that extension as well as reaching high to a dome mid. I've done it vented, but not sealed. The RSS210HF-4 will run vented in 1ft^3 to 26Hz and still play up to roughly 1k on the top-end.

The SD215A-88 will only reach 50Hz in 2ft^3 sealed.

The UM8-22 will hit your low end target, but likely not reach the top.

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

You might take a look at Human Speakers. They are doing a few flavors of 8" woofers like EPI used to use in their sealed speakers in the 70's and 80's.

Comment

You may want to consider the 8" woofer SB Acoustics SB23NACS45-8 (Silver) or SB23NBACS45-8 (Black). They are less than $100 and have been tested with Fs = 27.6, Qts =0.443. Vas is specified at 94 liters. They have a shortening ring in the motor to reduce distortion. And a pleated aluminum cone for stiffening and increasing the frequencies where breakup starts.

Comment

Originally posted by devnull View Post
                You might take a look at Human Speakers. They are doing a few flavors of 8" woofers like EPI used to use in their sealed speakers in the 70's and 80's.
                I looked at them, and they look good, but I don't know how to do a .5 speaker with two 4 ohm woofers.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveFred View Post
                  I don't know how to do a .5 speaker with two 4 ohm woofers.
                  The same as you would with two drivers of any impedance, one driver is low passed. The issue there would be the 2 ohm load below the low pass frequency, but if that's a problem the simple solution is don't use 4 ohm woofers. What you need to do is figure out what T/S spec range will do what you want, then plug those spec ranges into this to find drivers within that spec range.
                  http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/
                  www.billfitzmaurice.com
                  www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Yup the impedance might go a lot low on the bottom end. I don't know how EPI ever spec'd the dual woofer models at 8 ohms with 4 ohm woofers wired in parallel. You might try simming them and seeing what the impedance curves look like, Your amp might be able to handle it depending on where you crossover to a subwoofer.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

Sealed is a hard ball to squash with an 8" woofer and that extension as well as reaching high to a dome mid. I've done it vented, but not sealed. The RSS210HF-4 will run vented in 1ft^3 to 26Hz and still play up to roughly 1k on the top-end.

Later,
                      Wolf
                      I''ve run the RSS210HF-4 sealed in the PE pre-fab 1 cu ft MTM cabs, and it does well down to ~40. Honestly seems like the ideal choice if the low sensitivity can be dealt with.

Comment

Or how about the SB23CAC45-08? I haven't modeled them to see exact sealed F3 but their T/S seem reasonable for your application. They are 8", and 8 ohm, and under $150.

They might be the same woofer Jeff Bagby used in his design for Javad's speaker project (WWMT?).
                        Craig

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                          The same as you would with two drivers of any impedance, one driver is low passed. The issue there would be the 2 ohm load below the low pass frequency, but if that's a problem the simple solution is don't use 4 ohm woofers. What you need to do is figure out what T/S spec range will do what you want, then plug those spec ranges into this to find drivers within that spec range.
                          http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/
                          Hello Bill,

That is what I was alluding to. I need the minimum impedance to be above 3.2 ohm for whatever two woofers I choose, and if I use the Human Pro 005 in an x.5, the final impedance would be below that.

The only thing I can think of is using four Pro 005's in an isobaric setup, which would be sort of a waste.

David.

Comment

I doubt that the Human Pro 005 has specs that are unique, though it seems odd that they're not posted. Am I missing something? Do I need a decoder ring to find them?
                            www.billfitzmaurice.com
                            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                              I doubt that the Human Pro 005 has specs that are unique, though it seems odd that they're not posted. Am I missing something? Do I need a decoder ring to find them?
                              Hello Bill,

I actually do have one pair of Human PRO 005 woofers and I measured a brand new just out of the box (unbroken in) one with DATS V2.

Measured, vs. published specs

f(s) = 31.63, 26 Hertz
                              Q(ts) = 0.455, 0.47
                              V(as) = 45.44, 55 liters
                              SPL = 86.46, 88 dB 1W/1m
                              R(e) = 3.22, 3.35 Ohms
                              Q(ms) = 4.89, 5.7
                              Q(es) = 0.501, 0.47
                              L(e) = 0.96, 1 mH

Published Xmax = 8.8 mm

Guess SD = 220 cm2

Sim for one woofer using Woofer Box Model and Circuit Designer,

Using published specs gives you an F3 of 40 Hz and an F6 of 30 Hz in 1.5 cubic feet sealed

Using measured specs gives you an F3 of 50 Hz and an F6 of 38 Hz in 1.1 cubic feet sealed

Two woofers gives a DCR of 1.68 Ohms

Thank you,

David.

Comment

Working...
                              X