Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for 8" woofer f3 in low 40's sealed <1.5 cu ft? HiVi LK8A?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 8" woofer f3 in low 40's sealed <1.5 cu ft? HiVi LK8A?

I am looking for an 8 ohm 8" woofer that has an F3 in the low 40's in under 1.5 cubic foot sealed box.

This is to build a sealed 3.5 way with tweeter, dome mid, and two 8" woofers in around 3 cubic feet or less.

I don't think an 8" sub would be the best choice as I would like to cross over to the dome midrange about 800-1000Hz.

Budget per woofer is ~$150.00'ish.

The best that I can come up with is the HiVi LK8A 8" Sandwich Cone Woofer,

HiVi LK8A 8" Sandwich Cone Woofer

Exproject
    - Говорители - Басови от 6" до 12" - HIVI - LK8A

Has anyone used or seen this woofer?

I cannot find any info about it...

Any other suggestions?

Thank you,

David.

• fpitas
    replied
    Did you try looking at subwoofers, too? Despite being called subwoofers, some are useful to a surprisingly high frequency.

Leave a comment:

• DaveFred
    replied
    Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
    Those specs aren't at all special, so you should find a few 8 ohm drivers equally as good, if not better.
    I have not had a lot of luck :(

http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/s...s_55.0/sort=fs

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Those specs aren't at all special, so you should find a few 8 ohm drivers equally as good, if not better.

Leave a comment:

• DaveFred
    replied
    I doubt that the Human Pro 005 has specs that are unique, though it seems odd that they're not posted. Am I missing something? Do I need a decoder ring to find them?
    Hello Bill,

I actually do have one pair of Human PRO 005 woofers and I measured a brand new just out of the box (unbroken in) one with DATS V2.

Measured, vs. published specs

f(s) = 31.63, 26 Hertz
    Q(ts) = 0.455, 0.47
    V(as) = 45.44, 55 liters
    SPL = 86.46, 88 dB 1W/1m
    R(e) = 3.22, 3.35 Ohms
    Q(ms) = 4.89, 5.7
    Q(es) = 0.501, 0.47
    L(e) = 0.96, 1 mH

Published Xmax = 8.8 mm

Guess SD = 220 cm2

Sim for one woofer using Woofer Box Model and Circuit Designer,

Using published specs gives you an F3 of 40 Hz and an F6 of 30 Hz in 1.5 cubic feet sealed

Using measured specs gives you an F3 of 50 Hz and an F6 of 38 Hz in 1.1 cubic feet sealed

Two woofers gives a DCR of 1.68 Ohms

Thank you,

David.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    I doubt that the Human Pro 005 has specs that are unique, though it seems odd that they're not posted. Am I missing something? Do I need a decoder ring to find them?

Leave a comment:

• DaveFred
    replied
    The same as you would with two drivers of any impedance, one driver is low passed. The issue there would be the 2 ohm load below the low pass frequency, but if that's a problem the simple solution is don't use 4 ohm woofers. What you need to do is figure out what T/S spec range will do what you want, then plug those spec ranges into this to find drivers within that spec range.
    http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/
    Hello Bill,

That is what I was alluding to. I need the minimum impedance to be above 3.2 ohm for whatever two woofers I choose, and if I use the Human Pro 005 in an x.5, the final impedance would be below that.

The only thing I can think of is using four Pro 005's in an isobaric setup, which would be sort of a waste.

David.

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied
    Or how about the SB23CAC45-08? I haven't modeled them to see exact sealed F3 but their T/S seem reasonable for your application. They are 8", and 8 ohm, and under $150.

They might be the same woofer Jeff Bagby used in his design for Javad's speaker project (WWMT?).

Leave a comment:

• dwk123
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post

Sealed is a hard ball to squash with an 8" woofer and that extension as well as reaching high to a dome mid. I've done it vented, but not sealed. The RSS210HF-4 will run vented in 1ft^3 to 26Hz and still play up to roughly 1k on the top-end.

Later,
    Wolf
    I''ve run the RSS210HF-4 sealed in the PE pre-fab 1 cu ft MTM cabs, and it does well down to ~40. Honestly seems like the ideal choice if the low sensitivity can be dealt with.

Leave a comment:

• devnull
    replied
    Yup the impedance might go a lot low on the bottom end. I don't know how EPI ever spec'd the dual woofer models at 8 ohms with 4 ohm woofers wired in parallel. You might try simming them and seeing what the impedance curves look like, Your amp might be able to handle it depending on where you crossover to a subwoofer.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveFred View Post
    I don't know how to do a .5 speaker with two 4 ohm woofers.
    The same as you would with two drivers of any impedance, one driver is low passed. The issue there would be the 2 ohm load below the low pass frequency, but if that's a problem the simple solution is don't use 4 ohm woofers. What you need to do is figure out what T/S spec range will do what you want, then plug those spec ranges into this to find drivers within that spec range.
    http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/

Leave a comment:

• DaveFred
    replied
    Originally posted by devnull View Post
    You might take a look at Human Speakers. They are doing a few flavors of 8" woofers like EPI used to use in their sealed speakers in the 70's and 80's.
    I looked at them, and they look good, but I don't know how to do a .5 speaker with two 4 ohm woofers.

Leave a comment:

• timw
    replied
    You may want to consider the 8" woofer SB Acoustics SB23NACS45-8 (Silver) or SB23NBACS45-8 (Black). They are less than $100 and have been tested with Fs = 27.6, Qts =0.443. Vas is specified at 94 liters. They have a shortening ring in the motor to reduce distortion. And a pleated aluminum cone for stiffening and increasing the frequencies where breakup starts.

Leave a comment:

• devnull
    replied
    You might take a look at Human Speakers. They are doing a few flavors of 8" woofers like EPI used to use in their sealed speakers in the 70's and 80's.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Scott used the SD270 sealed in his Indium7 design:
    https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...tions/indium-7
    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--295-486

Sealed is a hard ball to squash with an 8" woofer and that extension as well as reaching high to a dome mid. I've done it vented, but not sealed. The RSS210HF-4 will run vented in 1ft^3 to 26Hz and still play up to roughly 1k on the top-end.

The SD215A-88 will only reach 50Hz in 2ft^3 sealed.

The UM8-22 will hit your low end target, but likely not reach the top.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X