Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woofer question: One big versus several small?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unbiasedsound
    replied
    IMO a bigger woofer sounds fuller and usually goes lower.....Other then that I agree with that is mostly about aesthetics and WAF...Space wise most do not have it and big speakers in a small space seems to only add to the clutter.….The Japanese are use to the clutter and seem to like the huge old school JBL speakers in there tiny apartment sized houses because they are still traditional in where the women do not get there way like they do in the USA.

Leave a comment:

• a4eaudio
    replied
    I know there are some threads out there where people like one vs the other, but I think the primary driver for the trend in narrower speakers is aesthetics. We can claim it is WAF (wife acceptance factor) but it is more convenient to place a narrower speaker in most rooms, wife acceptance or not.

Leave a comment:

• mikec
    replied
    And this is how you learn ;) Thanks for the replies!

Originally posted by kevintomb View Post
    One bigger driver with a decent xmax seems more cost effective than several smaller woofers.
    Makes sense -- I was just looking at cone area, not displacement.

Leave a comment:

• kevintomb
    replied
    Polk Audio in the 80s mostly, sold several" speakers that used multiples of their 6.5" mid woofers.
    I liked the sound back in the day, but honestly not sure several smaller woofers had anything to do with the sound tonality and balance.

Now looking back it seems okay to use a few smaller woofers, but not cost effective to use more than maybe a few.
    One bigger driver with a decent xmax seems more cost effective than several smaller woofers.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Originally posted by mikec View Post
    For example, nine 4" drivers or four 6" drivers would have same area as one 12". If all the drivers had similar properties would there be a difference?
    Yes, if they're vertically arrayed. Dispersion at the upper end of their range would be wider in the horizontal plane, narrower in the vertical plane.

Would multiple smaller similar drivers have a higher total cost?
    Usually, which is the main reason for using the larger driver.

Would the narrower baffle have an advantage?
    Only if for some reason you want the baffle step to be at a higher frequency.

Leave a comment:

• mikec
    started a topic Woofer question: One big versus several small?

Woofer question: One big versus several small?

too much time to think---

Has anyone listened to similar enough designs to decide if there's a noticeable difference?

For example, nine 4" drivers or four 6" drivers would have same area as one 12". If all the drivers had similar properties would there be a difference?

Would multiple smaller similar drivers have a higher total cost?

Would the narrower baffle have an advantage?
Working...
X