Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with a commercial speaker retrofit please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a commercial speaker retrofit please!

So.......I had a booboo the other day with my iPhone and Apple TV streaming some music to my living room 5.1 system.......and blew out the midwoofers in my Athena towers. These are an older commercial very thin and tall speaker in a really nice Aluminum curved back cabinet. They use 4 3.5” drivers and a tweeter in an MTMM configuration with 6 of the same drivers below as passive radiators.

Because I like the asthetics of the cabinets so much, I’d like to gut them, install a new baffle and go with an MTM configuration........my first instinct is the RS100 and a yet undetermined tweeter. These are supported by co located powered stereo subwoofers so bass response to 100 Hz is all that’s required, I forgot to mention the existing system had spacial imaging like CRAZY.....,..some of the best I’ve ever experienced which I attribute to the narrow baffle.

Thanks in advance for the help. An XO design would be appreciated.

Check these out, they're not a MTM but they use the RS100 and seem like a natural upgrade to your old speakers.
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...0-8-and-nd25fa

Comment

I liked the boomsticks tho Kerry was over critical of his design. I like the Nd25 tweeter and think the 4 inch Tectonic driver has great off axis performance if you can get over the dip. ND90 and 91s are another good option.
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Nice looking speaker!........sadly my enclosure is only 4” x 4” so less internal volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
          Nice looking speaker!........sadly my enclosure is only 4” x 4” so less internal volume.
          Right, your speakers WS 100 I am assuming? have maybe half the volume of the boomsticks maybe. The boomsticks have thicker MDF cabinets compared to your athenas so not AS much more volume as seen at first glance im sure.
          What about something such as the Fountek FE85?

https://www.parts-express.com/founte...river--296-717

I read good things about them on a few sites. Pretty sure they can get down to the 90s in your size box

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
            In the write up he talked about a center channel version using half the volume. Also, depending on the series resistance four RS100's will have a F3/F6 of about 112/90 Hz in 7 or 8 Liters sealed, that might be able to meet your subs. Any idea how much volume you have in your cabinets?

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
              I liked the boomsticks tho Kerry was over critical of his design. I like the Nd25 tweeter and think the 4 inch Tectonic driver has great off axis performance if you can get over the dip. ND90 and 91s are another good option.
              I just noticed the Pencil design in your signature. Do you think that could be built in a smaller sealed cabinet to meet with his subs? I know the OP asked about MTMs but it seems unlikely that two 3" drivers will be able deliver sufficient output for home theater.

Comment

The pencil design would work as well. I like the ND25 over ND20, so that's why I like Kerry's boomsticks, plus I rarely plug any of my builds.
                John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by kevintomb View Post

Right, your speakers WS 100 I am assuming? have maybe half the volume of the boomsticks maybe. The boomsticks have thicker MDF cabinets compared to your athenas so not AS much more volume as seen at first glance im sure.
                  What about something such as the Fountek FE85?

https://www.parts-express.com/founte...river--296-717

I read good things about them on a few sites. Pretty sure they can get down to the 90s in your size box
                  Correct......The WS100. The reduced enclosure volume might not be an issue............but the Athena’s for all their amazing imaging and detail had a lack of lower midbass punch. It might be the time to also adapt these to three way duty and replace all of those passive radiators with something capable.......maybe ND90’s?

Comment

Working...
                  X