Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Tractrix horn on ported speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tractrix horn on ported speaker

Hello guys, I am building a 2 way speaker system. I placed a small wooden horn on the tweeter and it really brought the tweeter to life. The low end is a 6.5 driver in a ported box tuned to 50hz. I was wondering what the effect of putting a big tractrix horn in front of this 6.5 driver would be, i am about to cast the 3ft wide round horn in fibre glass. The lengthy is about 2ft. Just want to be sure about this before investing in casting the horn. Do I just stick to the 2 way ported box or will adding the big horn in front of the 6.5 driver improve the system performance and sound like it did with the tweeters.

Regards

The lower horn is what I plan on mounting in front of the 6.5 driver and it will be detachable

Comment

This sounds like quite an undertaking.
      Do you have the ability to accurately measure frequency response would be my first question...?

Comment

I don't know that you'll see as much of a change in sound with the woofer but I'm no expert. I assume your crossover point would have a lot to do with this. I'm definitely curious to see how your build goes though. I hope you'll post some pics for us.

Comment

Thanks kevin, no i don't have a good microphone for measuring frequency response. I need to get one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle View Post
            I don't know that you'll see as much of a change in sound with the woofer but I'm no expert. I assume your crossover point would have a lot to do with this. I'm definitely curious to see how your build goes though. I hope you'll post some pics for us.
            I will post the pictures for sure. I am just concerned that since the horn will only work efficiently to 130hz, frequencies below 130 will sound much lower. I still like the beauty so I guess my SUb would have to take over from their even though technically the ported enclosure should hit 50hz with my driver.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremian View Post
              Thanks kevin, no i don't have a good microphone for measuring frequency response. I need to get one of those.
              My guess is you're still gonna do it regardless of what we say. Am I right? Also, since you don't have measurement equipment, I am going out on a limb that you have not tried to simulate the projected frequency response via computer software? If so, then I believe you are handicapping yourself, because both of those things are available very inexpensively in this day and age, and provide valuable information.

Comment

Working...
              X