No announcement yet.

MWAF results: pictures & winners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick Craig did with my input, and his contribution, just like Dan's in years past, was clearly pointed out in my verbal description immediately before the Cornettas were judged as well as in written info I made available for all to read. So, your point is????
    Paul

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post

Who designed the excellent crossover and did the voicing this time? Dan or Rick?

Comment

A little touchy aren’t you? I read nothing critical in his comment. I think it’s great that Rick shares his expertise with you and that you share your design skills with others. I always learn something looking at your published designs. I built Arum cantus AC-165 , Morel MD 55, and Fountek ribbon in a TL enclosure based on one of your designs that I love.

Comment

Is there a write up on the Reference Mini?

Comment

Originally posted by Thezeek View Post
          Is there a write up on the Reference Mini?
          Brian Z. just started a write-up on the Facebook group "DIY Loudspeaker Project Pad" and labeled it Introduction (Part 0 of many).

Comment

Originally posted by fdieck View Post
            A little touchy aren’t you? I read nothing critical in his comment. I think it’s great that Rick shares his expertise with you and that you share your design skills with others. I always learn something looking at your published designs. I built Arum cantus AC-165 , Morel MD 55, and Fountek ribbon in a TL enclosure based on one of your designs that I love.
            Paul always has great speakers. He assisted me on my current build. Wolf, yours looked great. Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
            Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
            http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post

Brian Z. just started a write-up on the Facebook group "DIY Loudspeaker Project Pad" and labeled it Introduction (Part 0 of many).
              Thanks

Comment

This was another great time. It was fun seeing old friends and making some new ones. In the open unlimited I loved the OSB open baffle bose line arrays. Those were the only speaker to play talking heads burning down the house with the tom toms required. Dayton was great to see Chris get the win, he seemed super excited. Over $200 was very tight with many quality entries. I scored 4 with the same high point total and 5 with slightly less. Meredith's entry was the only one that made Jerry M. laugh. Under $200 was just as tight with 4 entries with the same high point total and 3 slightly less.

I appreciate PE putting on the event. The bonus Morel supremo tweeters to the first place winners was really nice. The Wavecor attendance prizes were also nice.

I liked the new venue. It did not feel cramped. I thought were acoustics neutral in the front row. The music was not on par with the other events. The SPL control seemed pretty good. The no fading between tracks was annoying. I understanding that the judges controll a lot of this but there's still an audience of 40 others in the room.
                John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I understand that the tracks cutting hard was for hearing the important parts of a 1 minute demo, but the tracks being poppy, skipping the initial or 1st two cuts, as well as other problems with recording quality really throw a wrench into the operations. I think the cuts should be on a disc format, burned from and into .wav format and run in a standard CD player to omit the problems with the computer like: clipping the output stage, popping of PC software interface, and compression of lesser recording formats.

To me- it sounded like MP3s being run in VLC. VLC will clip the output as it allows to play the signal above the 100% point from the internal soundcard. Not only is this unacceptable, it can actually harm the computer hardware when used at these levels. I've used it, and it also is quite glitchy adding pops and clicks that should not be there. Foobar 2000 has been a better interface for a long time.

My 2c,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post

Who designed the excellent crossover and did the voicing this time? Dan or Rick?
                    I did the crossover design for Paul. He helped a customer of mine with a TL design and we exchanged work for the Cornettas. Paul specified the amount of baffle step compensation for his listening room preferences and picked out the crossover parts.

Comment

Here's the Video on DIY loudspeaker project pad FB page. Unsure if publicly viewable. I presume this is ok to post on PETT as this is a PETT sponsored event?
                      https://www.facebook.com/jshadzi/vid...8817652088032/

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bullet View Post
                        Here's the Video on DIY loudspeaker project pad FB page. Unsure if publicly viewable. I presume this is ok to post on PETT as this is a PETT sponsored event?
                        Thanks for linking that for us. I don't use Facebook but I was able to view it.
                        Thanks Javad for taking that walkaround video. Man, there were some really nice looking speakers there!

Regarding the Audio Issues...

Just thinking out loud... I wonder -- since there always seem to be some issues with the music -- if we could take care of that for PE for next year so they don't have to worry about it. They are undoubtedly slammed with things to do approaching the MWAF... it might really help them out.

Use the tunes from the tracks the judges pick from... find the best recordings of those tracks and make one nice, in/out faded, volume-corrected track for each category. Get several folks from PETT who know how to do this stuff to generate them, and make a CD to send to PE a few weeks before the MWAF so they can vet it. Maybe have track 1 be a pink noise track at the same relative volume as the rest of the tracks to make life easy...

SAMPLE TRACK LIST:

1: Pink Noise
                        2: Open Unlimited Track--(3 approx. 1 minute song snippets)
                        3: Dayton Audio Track--(3 approx. 1 minute song snippets)
                        4: Under $200 Track--(3 approx. 1 minute song snippets)
                        5: Over $200 Track--(3 approx. 1 minute song snippets)
                        6: A couple of fun tunes for the "Fan Favorite" speaker to jam out to.

I know there are some of us that could do this easy enough. It's a HUGE part of the competition, but it seems to be very hard to get right, maybe we could help out?
                        Watcha think?

TomZ
                        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bullet View Post
                          Thanks for linking that for us. I don't use Facebook but I was able to view it.
                          Thanks Javad for taking that walkaround video. Man, there were some really nice looking speakers there!

Regarding the Audio Issues...

Just thinking out loud... I wonder -- since there always seem to be some issues with the music -- if we could take care of that for PE for next year so they don't have to worry about it. They are undoubtedly slammed with things to do approaching the MWAF... it might really help them out.

Use the tunes from the tracks the judges pick from... find the best recordings of those tracks and make one nice, in/out faded, volume-corrected track for each category. Get several folks from PETT who know how to do this stuff to generate them, and make a CD to send to PE a few weeks before the MWAF so they can vet it. Maybe have track 1 be a pink noise track at the same relative volume as the rest of the tracks to make life easy...

SAMPLE TRACK LIST:

1: Pink Noise
                          2: Open Unlimited Track--(3 approx. 1 minute song snippets)
                          3: Dayton Audio Track--(3 approx. 1 minute song snippets)
                          4: Under $200 Track--(3 approx. 1 minute song snippets)
                          5: Over $200 Track--(3 approx. 1 minute song snippets)
                          6: A couple of fun tunes for the "Fan Favorite" speaker to jam out to.

I know there are some of us that could do this easy enough. It's a HUGE part of the competition, but it seems to be very hard to get right, maybe we could help out?
                          Watcha think?

TomZ
                          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

To be completely correct, the Originality/Design (visual) comprises 20% of the overall score, and Craftsmanship (visual) also comprises 20% of the overall score, with the other three performance criteria scoring 60%, at 20% each, of the overall score. Originality in appearance is a very subjective criteria and understandably may not appeal to everyone as being either original or even good-looking. Craftsmanship, however, should be mostly objective, but it could be somewhat affected in the minds of the judges by their opinion about the originality of the design. I'll just have to wait to see how the judges scored the Cornettas. Thanks for your compliments on the Cornettas.
                            Paul

Originally posted by ernperkins View Post
                            Thanks for the pics Bill, I really appreciate all the effort you make to inform the rest of us. I think Paul's Cornettas were tanked by the 40% emphasis on "design originality". The Cornettas are a great example of Paul's woodworking skills and have that classic, beautiful look. But the "design originality" emphasis requires something unique, perhaps bordering on quirky. But when you enter the game you play by the rules. And I can't really fault PE for their rule selection either. In any case, I think Paul is more than satisfied to keep designing great sounding speakers than also look amazing in any setting.

Comment

There have been occasions in the past where I've made changes to crossovers designed for me by others after extensive listening, usually in tweaking attenuation of tweeters and/or midranges, and sometimes on BSC, but all of those changes were conducted as a team with the crossover designers. The Cornettas required no such changes.
                              Paul

Originally posted by rickcraig View Post

I did the crossover design for Paul. He helped a customer of mine with a TL design and we exchanged work for the Cornettas. Paul specified the amount of baffle step compensation for his listening room preferences and picked out the crossover parts.

Comment

MP3s being run in VLC, ouch.

CDs forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X